6 Questions for Y'all

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:27 am

1. Obviously we're all passionate about great music, whether it's only Vienna's songs or a wide variety of different artists. What outside of music are y'all passionate about?

2. What really aggravates you?

3. When you have one day off, what is your favorite thing to do?

4. If you have a phobia, what is it (if it's not too personal)? :)

5. EDIT: What's the nicest thing you ever did for someone or the nicest thing someone ever did for you?

6. If you were being forced to move but could go anywhere in the world, where would you choose to live?

My answers are:

1. I am extremely passionate about animals that are in animal shelters. I volunteer at my local shelter and I almost always cry the second I get to the car. I have always had an animal friend in my life and can't imagine not having a pet or two around the house. The first time I volunteered for a dog adoption fair I cried over one dog so much that my dad in VA ended up adopting him. LOL Dad told me never to go back but I kept on going anyway. I used to most actively be involved in dog adoption fairs, but now that my schedule is so hellish I donate supplies instead. I take stuff from the "always need it list" twice a month and spend about an hour loving on the cats and dogs. I know that alot of them won't make it and that's really hard to deal with when I'm with them, but if they're not going to make it then at least I contributed to making them a little happier during their short time here.

2. I really hate it when people are inconsiderate of others, whether I'm the recipient of their rudeness or not. Most commonly my aggravation manifests when people don't use their turn signals in high traffic areas or when they do the whole "Hey I've been driving in the wrong lane for 15min, I think I'll stop in this lane for the next 5 minutes, with 92 cars behind me, while I wait for the other lane to clear so I can get over to turn. I understand the whole getting lost thing, seeing as I have no kind of sense of direction, but it's not exactly the end of the world to miss a turn, go up to the next light, and turn around. I don't flip people off or scream out the window but that really makes me mad!

3. My favorite thing to do with one glorious day off is to go to Blowing Rock, NC, which is in the Appalachain Mountains. It's the most charming, quaint little mountain town I've seen in America and it never ceases to relax me and make me happy. I never plan my trips there in advance so I never know exactly what will happen, but the best trips involve a little inn (homestead inn), breakfast in the park, a day of browsing the little shops on Main Street and driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and dinner at The Six Pence Pub. It's ashame that small mountain towns don't need trumpet players b/c I'd move there and never leave, whether I were to live 7 more minutes or 70 more years.

4. My phobia is that I REALLY hate spiders. They freak me out. I've been bitten several times, including by a brown recluse when I lived in Louisiana, and I absolutely can't stand for them to come into my apartment. If they stay outside then fine--they can crawl on the door and the windows and anywhere else they want OUT THERE, but coming into my apartment is usually a fatal mistake. Spider bites can be fatal to guinea pigs (one of my 2 pets) and I don't want them anywhere near me either.

5. I don't know what the nicest thing I ever did for someone is. I try to always treat people nicely and hope that I am successful, although sometimes I'm not. I guess the answer to this question is that one night about 2 years ago I was on line at the grocery store. The registers were backed up and everyone was irritable about the holdup at the end of the day. The kid in line 2 people ahead of me (about 18 at the time) had bread, lunch meat, chips, mustard, and a bag of skittles. When the cashier told him the price he realized he didn't have his wallet b/c it was in his other pants. The woman behind him was really rude about it, telling him that he was holding up the line and basically to move it or lose it. The kid was clearly flustered by the situation so I told the cashier to put us together. The rude woman then had the nerve to complain that I was cutting in front of her with my 2 items! She was a real piece of work. The best part was that I saw the rude woman a few days later at a church service where I was playing trumpet. When she sat down I stared at her and she squirmed quite a bit (there's that whole not-always-nice-to-people thing. lol). Then just this past summer I saw the same kid at the same store and he insisted on buying my groceries as payback. Lucky for him I only had a few things at the time. :)

6. I would live in Blowing Rock, NC. That's not a particularly exciting answer but it really is my favorite place to be. If I were to leave the country I'd move to Chemineaux, France. It is also a gorgeous little mountain town and I loved the atmosphere when I was there, although my French sucks so I'd probably have a real hard time there (my college french teacher told me that if i'd just show up to every class, do all the bonus work, and promise never to take French again then she'd give me a B. lol)

Ok well that's all. Hopefully somebody else will come along and answer these questions b/c I think it'd be fun to know each other a bit better, especially for the regular posters! :) Have a good night everyone. ~Ginny
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

particleboard
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby particleboard » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:42 am

I'm not a regular poster, but I've been reading this forum for a while and I felt like answering these questions so...

1. Obviously we're all passionate about great music, whether it's only Vienna's songs or a wide variety of different artists. What outside of music are y'all passionate about?
I’d have a hard time finding something that I’m passionate about other then music. They exist, but it seems like they pail in comparison to music. I’m fairly politically active but there isn’t one passion there that I could pin down so I guess I’d have to say that I’m really passionate about food. I love to cook, especially with my friends. I really believe that cooking can be an art form. Also, I really like the end result. My philosophy teacher even wrote “you are an epicurean in the best sense of the word” in my yearbook.

People who live they’re merry little lives without realizing the consequences of they’re actions. The way you live has a direct effect on everyone. Just because you earned the money to pay for that SUV doesn’t mean you deserve to drive it. Anyways, this rant could go on for a little while so I’ll just stop here.

Firstly, I don’t have days off very often. (My week includes 13 hours of rehearsals in 3 different cities on top of a 35 hour a week teaching schedule) but when I do get a day off, I love to go kayaking. Anywhere that there’s water, you can kayak. Orangeville, Orillia, Port Credit, anywhere. It’s so relaxing to be out on the water. (Of course, when I have a day off, I also practice but generally something really fun or new like Kraft’s Encounters II or the Effie Suite. Oh, BTW I play the tuba)

4. If you have a phobia, what is it (if it's not too personal)?
I guess I kind of have a phobia, though not exactly. It’s kind of a sporadic and reoccuring social phobia/paranoia. For a few days at a time, I will just become very reclusive, avoiding contact with anyone and everyone, and when I do encounter them, I convince myself that they are only talking to me out of morbid curiosity or something along those lines. Nothing terribly serious.

5. What's the nicest thing you ever did for someone?
I honestly have no idea. Thats a really tough question.

6. If you were being forced to move but could go anywhere in the world, where would you choose to live?
I’d have to say London, England. I’ve been there several times and I keep wanting to go back. So many wonderful memories of just wandering around London. Holding her close at Hyde Park, even though we’re not close anymore. It’s just such a wonderful city with so much history.

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:00 am

<span style='color:blue'>Just recently, I found a new hobby... mountaineering, hiking and camping. It's actually a childhood dream but I was able to actually do them just this June. I've already been branded as an addict to this sport. Since June, I've already had 4 climbs, and would be off to another this weekend.</span>

<span style='color:blue'>Just like Ginny, I hate people who are so inconsiderate of others. Unfortunately for me, these are the little things they do, you know like stopping at the end of the escalator to answer their phone not thinking that they are blocking the way, or talking so loud in the movie house, or taking/borrowing things and not returning them properly. It can go on.</span>

<span style='color:blue'>Movies or music tripping. Shopping or simply window shopping for mountaineering gears.</span>

<span style='color:blue'>I have 2, but one of them is starting to wear off. Heights and slimmy creatures. Heights, well, my new hobby surely helps a lot. Slimmy creatures, I think I'll never get over it. I remember as a child, we owned some wildlife magazines and there was one issue that I will never touch... frogs and salamanders. Yuck!!!</span>

<span style='color:blue'>It's a hard question as that good thing is more dependent on the receiver. I mean, I can do some good thing that meant almost nothing to me but may be the best thing to someone else... and vice versa, my best good thing may mean nothing to someone else.</span>

<span style='color:blue'>I'd very much like to live in a suburbian community that's a couple of hours drive from nature.</span>
Always look on the bright side of life.

vinh
Warm Stranger

Postby vinh » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:15 am

:) looks interesting Ginny, truly deserving of being promoted to an administrative position (moderator). these types of questionnaires are a good way to get to know one another on another level, perhaps giving us insight on the person behind the posts.

<span style='color:blue'>i used to be really passionate about computing, but i lost that a long time ago... when it became a part of my career i suppose. while i think i'm still looking for something that i am as passionate about as i was about computers back then, lately though, i've been really into cycling (road and mountain) and martial arts. mr. cheng has me drooling over photography too, so one of these days i'm gonna get into photography. :)</span>

<span style='color:blue'>i'm with Ginny too, inconsiderate people would be it. people not turning off their flash during concerts, not turning off their cell phones during movie, etc... i am understanding if people simply forget, but not when they're explicitly told before a show to turn these things off... of course i'm a pushover, so while it aggravates me, i don't really act on it, nor let it bother me too long.</span>

<span style='color:blue'>anything that gets me out of the house. and while it may not be the most interesting of things to do, i really enjoy going to the movies. i like the whole movie-goer experience. :) it's just not the same when you wait for things to come out on video.</span>

4. If you have a phobia, what is it (if it's not too personal)? smile.gif

<span style='color:blue'>heights. :) i'm afraid of heights. and one of these days, i'm gonna go hop out of a plane in hopes of curing myself of it. :D well... that, or die trying.</span>

<span style='color:blue'>nothing at the top of my head, but i think it's better that way. i'm an analytical/critical type of person... if i think too much about the good things i've done, i'd start to question my motives for doing them and about my lack of modesty... better to do as many good things as you can, and quickly forget them. that way, you won't have time to think about why you did it, and simply hope you did it because you are inherently good. :blink: </span>

<span style='color:blue'>a city around the Seattle, WA area; or Canada. i haven't really seen much of the world to know where i'd like to be, but of the places i've been to, Seattle and Canada really appeal to me. it may be gloomy, but the air seems clean and nature isn't too far off. i also like that Canada has subsidized healthcare.</span>

misoponia
Cool Stranger

Postby misoponia » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:08 am

Enthusiasms:: Ceramics, editing, Taiwan-US relations, finding kindred spirits, dreaming, languages, and (futile) attempts at quenching my ungodly thirst for knowledge.

Bane:: Myself, heh...I can forgive other people their peculiarities and misdemeanors, but I have a hard time letting this here lassie off so easily. I'm terribly young and unwise, and I frustrate myself more than anything or anyone else does.

Euphoria:: Library/hiking/lying in grass/arts & crafts of any sort.

Phobia:: Being misunderstood or misread....which is slightly ironic, because half the time I'm not clear myself as to what it is I'm actually thinking or feeling. I suppose it doesn't help, either, that akin to particleboard, I'm also prone to chronic bouts of severe introversion.

Philanthropy:: Talking about this sort of action reinstates the 'self' in selfless, methinks. ;]
There is, however, one incident which I don't mind sharing, simply because while I *was* on the giving end, it was honestly less of my own doing and more of just.....providence, I suppose.
<span style='color:red'>Warning: Although I didn't intend it to be so, this turned out to be ridiculously long....feel free to skip over it if you'd like!</span>
A classmate of mine this semester, who I'd first heard of last year and who I had mutual friends with, but had never seen in person until this fall, suddenly fell very psychologically ill, and vanished. The thing is--although we'd literally never exchanged more than a couple sentences, we were somehow friends through shared looks and uncanny, unspoken understanding, and I'd been meaning to speak to her for a while, but for some reason I kept holding back. Earlier last month, I suddenly felt a sense of urgency to contact her, and finally sent her an email containing my phone number and an invitation to call me at any time if she ever needed to talk--I knew that she'd been having a hard time of it for the past couple weeks, but had figured that her apparently large pool of friends and ever-present boyfriend would be more welcome support than a half-stranger.......but the next day, I found out (by sheer fortuity, since it wasn't widely known) that she'd disappeared from school the day before and was apparently in a "psych ward."
I was a day late. Just a day, and I could have perhaps saved her--the weight of that knowledge struck me like a blow to the chest, and despite strong opposition from my informant, who was afraid that if I took action it would be obvious that he hadn't kept his mouth shut, my heart was set on finding her, no matter that the only contact information I had for her was her email address, and that I had no idea what a psych ward was or where she might possibly be. Furthermore, and almost worse--I'd received two calls on my cell phone that morning during class which were from unknown callers who I couldn't call back, and I was horrified at the possibility that she'd perhaps called, encouraged by my email, and that I hadn't been there when she needed me.

That school day dragged along, slowed to an insufferable plodding by my troubled, anxious thoughts--I tried to find information on the Internet between classes, but to no avail....the only "psych wards" (which I now know is a very un-PC and outdated term) listed online in Arizona were historical sites undergoing renovation. Although I knew it was probably useless, I sent her another email in a sort of desperate hope, and then ran to a mandatory training meeting during which I could hardly sit still, and was kept only by the presence of a psychology-major friend who I planned on asking afterwards for pointers. When I finally did get the chance to talk with him, he was only able to suggest that I visit the Student Health and Wellness Center, as that would probably the first place a student would go to if they were seeking personal help. Feeling strangely set and steeled for inevitable success, and with a purpose-driven clarity of intent and mind, I marched stormily across campus in the red-tinged dusk, a very large, cumbersome bag slung over my shoulder containing formal attire (my attendance at career day was required by one of my business courses), books, and folders, and my arms clutching another bag which, although appealingly vintage, was showing its age by coming apart at the strap-seams and defying the creative application of name-tag safety pins. [pardon my verbosity; it's just that I can remember the entire atmosphere and state of mind very vividly, and everything seemed intense, magnified and heightened in sense]
The Health Center was dark as I approached, and I noted that it had closed at 5:30...the current time was about 7:50pm. Nonplussed, I went around the building, trying the doors somewhat foolishly and mulishly, and scared away a feral cat loitering near one of the back entrances. At this point, my old bag threatened to come apart completely, and I stopped to set my things down on the window ledge and re-fasten one of the safety pins. As I did so, I noticed that, through the slightly open blinds, I could see a bulletin board on which was posted a notice that said "If nobody is in the office, call these numbers for assistance:..." I took out my cell phone and started dialing. Eventually I reached a 24-7 help line, answered by a lady in a car on her way home who, after initially thinking that I was the one trying to seek aid, eventually was able to give me some advice--she said that depending on my friend's insurance policy, she might be in one of the behavioral centers of the major hospitals in town, or in a private ward, in which case it would be harder to locate her. The lady warned me, however, that even if I did call these places, the chances of my finding out if my friend was actually there were very slim, since such information is generally considered confidential and not freely given to anyone but immediate family. I thanked her and went to take the bus home....called my dad to see if he'd be willing to look up phone numbers for me so that I could save time, but he was busy, and I decided that it was up to me, anyhow, to put forth the effort, since it was I who had been a day late.

Once I arrived, I grabbed a bite to eat and sat down with a phone and the yellow pages. I called the first hospital, was re-directed to first one desk, and then another, and after explaining my situation a couple times, was politely informed, as expected, that while they couldn't tell me whether or not she was actually there, I could leave a message in case she was. I did so, and asked if patients had Internet access---as I'd feared, they didn't. On to the next hospital--I called, and heard the voice of the same lady who'd answered my first phone call. Rather befuddled, and thinking that perhaps I was starting to lose it, I faltered a bit and then explained my confusion when she asked if something was wrong. It turns out that the desk she works at answers the phone calls for a number of the main hospitals in the area--so without having to retell my entire story, I just let her know that I wanted to try the other hospitals as well, and she redirected me to another line. Another lady picked up, I explained myself, and she said, "Hold on..." and I was redirected once again, listening to elevator music in the meantime.....a click of the receiver being picked up, and then a female voice wavered, "hello?.."
The voice sounded familiar, and my breath caught--but it couldn't be..."Hello? Who is this?"
She said her name shakily, hesitantly...
It was her.
I explained who I was, and that I'd been trying to find her, and she said with wonder in her small, sad voice that it was strange that I'd called--she had just been thinking of me in the past couple days. It was the first time that we'd ever actually talked--the phone call was brief because of time limits but sweet, and she gave me the address of the place and the visiting hours, and I promised to come that Saturday to visit her.
Much has happened since then--I did visit her a couple times, and eventually she was released, and is now back in school. Her condition is still fairly weak and somewhat unstable, but healing's a slow process, and it's good enough that she's steadily getting better. She's said more than once that I've literally kept her alive.......but to be honest, I'm just as grateful for whatever it was that spurred me on as she is for my presence.
The night that I found her, I kept pacing through the house, blown away by what had transpired....and my dad stopped me at one point and told me in a serious, concerned tone (which I found rather amusing) that it's very easy for tired people to become obsessive, and I should probably go to bed. ;P If it were mere obsession, I'm very glad that I had gotten only two hours of sleep the night before......
....but I think that there was something more, perhaps similar to what W.N. Murray said after the 1951 Scottish Himalayan Expedition to scale Mt. Everest:

"The moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would otherwise never have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his way."

Dreamland:: The Cotswolds in England or Tuscany, Italy. :)
<i><span style='color:green'>"To care only for well-being seems to me positively ill-bred. Whether it's good or bad, it is sometimes very pleasant, too, to smash things."<br>-Dostoevsky</span></i>

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:31 pm

Great answers so far, thanks for participating. Partricleboard--I'm glad you answered despite not being a regular poster. The questions certainly aren't limited to regular posters and I'm sure everyone will enjoy getting to know you a little better as well. I esp. enjoyed what you had to say about what aggravates you! :) ~Ginny

PS. Vinh--I totally feel your pain about the whole cell phone in inappropriate places thing.
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

Eric
Getting Stranger

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:05 pm

@ Misoponia: that's an awesome story. yeah, i sometimes have moments when I intuitively just know things or I commit to something because I know it's somehow the right decision, and not for any rational reason. that quote at the end is great.

@ Ginny: I don't remember ever going to Blowing Rock when I lived in western NC, but I always loved going up into the mountains. They're wonderful.

<span style='color:blue'>1. What outside of music are y'all passionate about?</span>
yikes ... could you maybe ask what's your favorite movie instead? ;) I get excited about certain aspects of architecture or "the built environment" as the phrase goes. not sure how to boil this down to a sound bite. its philosophical implications ... how it relates to the arc of evolution ... man versus nature versus man within nature and sustainability ... aesthetics, truth, beauty, yadda yadda ... also, good design in general, in any realm is a fascinating thing to study and to try to achieve. it's like a dance between the designer and the world ... an act of co-creation, and so on.

but in architecture specifically, design has such a profound impact on everyone's life. buildings are a functional, physical embodiment of our collective state of being.

Maybe the key thing is that we're slowly changing our attitude about the natural and man-made world from one of hostility to one of acceptance and integration. We're realizing we're all on the same team. There aren't any other teams. It's not about being touchy-feely or wishy-washy, it's just that working with others or with nature instead of against is the only reasonable, healthy thing to do. That's what excites me.

I also like beer. Mmm, stout. And aikido. Not at the same time. Usually. But architecture and beer go well together. Or maybe it's just grad school and beer that go well together. =) Drunken building design. That's what I'm all about. ;)

<span style='color:blue'>2. What really aggravates you?</span>
As others have said, self-absorbed, oblivious-to-the-world idiocy. Like the cell phone thing, like driving slow in the left lane. Drivers in Colorado are really really bad about that. I don't get what's so difficult to understand about "use the right lane to drive, use the left lane TO PASS".

Also, when perfectly natural but nonetheless inappropriate mammalian instincts override decency and civilized, rational human behavior for no good reason ... Herding instincts, following the alpha male, etc etc. Basically the opposite of the "we're all on the same team" philosophy. I don't really care when everyday people do it, but when someone in a position of power and authority does it, this makes me oh, ever-so-slightly irate. (By the way, it's not that there aren't good times to adopt a defensive stance, but unceasing hostility leads only to self-destruction. Uh, okay, this is getting too preachy. =) )

<span style='color:blue'>3. When you have one day off, what is your favorite thing to do?</span>
Go hiking. Go work on my landscaping/garden project. Get up early, get some coffee, then get out in the sun and the dirt and sweat. Not that I always do this on my days off, but I'm usually happiest when I do.

<span style='color:blue'>4. If you have a phobia, what is it (if it's not too personal)?</span>
I can't think of anything. I sometimes -- okay, frequently -- experience irrational social fears, but I think that's just out of habit. =)

<span style='color:blue'>5. What's the nicest thing you ever did for someone?</span>
I can't think of anything.

<span style='color:blue'>6. If you were being forced to move but could go anywhere in the world, where would you choose to live?</span>
I haven't been to enough of the world to say. I don't think I'd want to live in one place for too long at this point. I, too, would like to check out the Seattle/Vancouver area. Vancouver, probably. I'd like to live in Shanghai for the challenge but also because it's an exciting place to be. (Too bad about the pollution, though.) I need to see Italy and Japan. Colorado certainly has its charms, but I could stand to spend some more time in San Francisco. I should try New York, but I doubt I'd want to set up shop there.
- Eric Miller: occasional forum admin, occasional webmaster -

Steve J
Hot Stranger

Postby Steve J » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:21 am

Well, as Ginny knew would be the case with me, I am too dang busy to write alot right now, but maybe SOMEday I will finally answer all her questions... ha. In case you all don't know it, Ginny evolved directly from a sea sponge (lol) and part of her brain is highly evolved sponge material, soaking up all available info and still hungering for more. So to give her one tidbit of info for today: Hey Ginny,... one thing you don't know about me (yet) is that I was born only a few miles from Blowing Rock... yep, its true. I guess that's why you like me so much, lol. :D I was born near there , grew up near there, and have lived within 100 miles of there for my whollllllllllllllllllllllle long life. Thank God I do get to go on some vacations further away though, lol.
:)
Loyal fan/groupie/friend/ETC. of Vienna Teng, Kyler England & Taylor Roberts Music (Now "Glorydive").

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:34 am

Mystery solved, finally! I like Steve J b/c he was born near Blowing Rock and has lived within 100 miles his whole life! Thank God you figured this out Steve, 'cause I was starting to wonder why I liked you.....naturally you know that I am just kidding, but I'm thinking the Blowing Rock connection certainly doesn't hurt. lol :) I'm going to Blowing Rock allllll day Saturday, yippee! ~Ginny

Jack
Warm Stranger

Postby Jack » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:35 am

Watching people create. Watching the creators move through the dance of chaos to find the spark that ignites any germinal movement. I have but one obsession...Cirque Du Soleil. I am also a F1 fanatic.

Like so many of you, it's rudeness. There is no need for it. In my opinion, we don't care enough for one another. We are intolerant and too quick to judge.

Anything that involves my son :D and that's usually a trip to a museum, film, etc.

Deep water

If I told you, that would be bragging and that wouldn't be very nice. :lol:

Montreal, Qc
I told her I ain't so sure about this place<br>it's hard to play a gig in this town and keep a straight face---Shawn Mullins

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:42 am

Ok, then what's the nicest thing someone ever did for you? :) The nicest thing anyone ever did for me was: Last year my most beloved pet of all time, Louie died in my arms (the vet put him to sleep) after a 4 month battle with illness. Jeff Baran, who posts here occasionally, sent me a surprise package with a gift for me, one for Stuckey the cat, and one for Tessa the guinea pig, along with a beautiful card telling all 3 of us how special Louie was and that he hoped these small surprises would help us all feel better as we tried to cope with the loss. I wll never forget it. ~G

Jack
Warm Stranger

Postby Jack » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:46 am

Ginny~
Okay...a few years ago, while going through an awfully tough period, a friend casually left $200.00 in my coat pocket with a note stating that it never needed to be repaid. Two weeks ago, I was able to repay the favor :D .
I told her I ain't so sure about this place<br>it's hard to play a gig in this town and keep a straight face---Shawn Mullins

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:52 am

Jack,
It's great you have such a supportive friend! I love hearing any kind of stories where someone is nice to another person b/c there is so much ugliness out there. Obviously the world has its big problems, but I am especially bothered by how difficult it is to escape all the negativity. I think that's why I like this forum so much--b/c not only is it a nice, entertaining group, but b/c the same people seem to constantly be doing kind things for each other. :) ~G

emma
Cool Stranger

Postby emma » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:30 am

great questions ginny. congratulations for being a moderator. you really deserve it!

Let's see. Right now, I just finished a Creative Writing for Beginners course at my school, so I guess that is my passion right now. Another thing is that (this is not really a passion but) I'm trying to do my best to survive my school in one piece, with passing marks. It's my freshman year, and UP is the toughest school in my country. That really takes most of my time, so I don't have any hobbies I can pursue freely. Poor me. :( But I guess what I'm taking up could be a lifetime passion-- Psychology.

I guess people who just don't give a damn. And also, people who are closed-minded.

I like catching up with friends, spending time with my family and just basically doing nothing. Any time spent with the people I love is time well-spent.

4. If you have a phobia, what is it (if it's not too personal)? smile.gif

This is very strange--I hate, and I am scared of wall-muffled voices. You know, when you are inside a room, and there are some people talking outside, you hear their voices muffled by the walls. I really don't know why. Maybe it's because I can't tell if they are fighting or chatting, or crying or laughing. That is very weird.

I can't think of anything. But someone did a very nice thing for me just this morning. [The_man_in_blue] said that he would send me autographed copies of Waking hour and Warm strangers from Vienna's fall concerts! Whoo-hoo! Thanks thanks thanks! That's the nicest thing!

Actually, I'd still like to live here in the Philippines. Sure, we are not the in good shape economically, politically, or in any field in fact. But there is a certain warmth here that I can never find anywhere else. Filipinos are generally a happy, loving people. And I love being here. :P

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:53 am

@emma,
Hi! ...kabayan. :rolleyes: :P :D ;)

@everyone,
One thing I can say about this forum is that, people here have done something really nice to somebody here, even though they're strangers. Must be Warm Strangers. B)
Always look on the bright side of life.

Return to “The Cafe”