How did you all discover Vienna?

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Postby rahau » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:25 am

roofboy179 wrote:Yay! You memorized the precise date like me!

Oh, there was no need to memorize it! Quite the opposite ... it was impossible to forget.

That morning, I was laying in bed half asleep, listening to Lianne Hanson talk about a young woman named Vienna Teng ... Stanford ... software engineer ... quit her job ... singer-songwriter ....

"Soon, Love Soon ..."

I sat bolt upright and gasped "Ho-leee SH**!!" Ran out to the living room, turned on the stereo, and listened to the rest of the interview. Gravity. Drought. Unwritten Letter #1. Lullabye. Then I fired up my computer, punched up NPR's web site, and listened to it again.

And then - to quote our favorite phrasemaker Reileen - I spent the next two hours "running excitedly in squares." :)
rahau
Even Stranger

Postby sheeba » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:25 pm

It was May 2003 and I was in the car. I caught the last few minutes of an interview with Vienna and David Dye on Live At The World Cafe. David asked Vienna about her name and age. I remember thinking Vienna was an awesome name and how she sounded like someone much older than 23. I don't think I even heard her sing a note but I liked the tone of her speaking voice. I wrote down her name on a piece of scrap paper which got lost in my garbage can of a car. About a month later, a friend called wanting to catch some live music that night. She checked the internet: "Vienna Teng is playing at The Point but I have no idea who she is. Me: OMG! I just heard her on World Cafe, she's great! What does she sound like? I have no idea, I only heard her talk. What?! Come on, it's just up the street and we have nothing better to do." I'll never forget that first show which turned out to be one of my top five concert experiences. I've been in love with Vienna's music ever since.
sheeba
Hot Stranger

Postby roofboy179 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:03 pm

sheeba wrote:It was May 2003 and I was in the car. I caught the last few minutes of an interview with Vienna and David Dye on Live At The World Cafe. David asked Vienna about her name and age. I remember thinking Vienna was an awesome name and how she sounded like someone much older than 23. I don't think I even heard her sing a note but I liked the tone of her speaking voice. I wrote down her name on a piece of scrap paper which got lost in my garbage can of a car. About a month later, a friend called wanting to catch some live music that night. She checked the internet: "Vienna Teng is playing at The Point but I have no idea who she is. Me: OMG! I just heard her on World Cafe, she's great! What does she sound like? I have no idea, I only heard her talk. What?! Come on, it's just up the street and we have nothing better to do." I'll never forget that first show which turned out to be one of my top five concert experiences. I've been in love with Vienna's music ever since.

Wow! Thats really cool!!! Thanks for sharing :D :D
roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby if(!u){i=null;} » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:38 pm

One of my colleagues came in to work one Monday moring and said 'I heard this girl on NPR yesterday ... amazing'. A few weeks later he played 'passage' for us in his car on a break for coffee. That was the hook. Since then I've been buying VT CDs by the dozen and spreading the gospel. Unfortunately that friend died of lung cancer late last year (don’t smoke, kids!). We we're able to get him to the Chicago show last year when he was really bad (I'll never complain about someone caughing at a show again). We’ll save a seat for him this year anyway.
if(!u){i=null;}
Cool Stranger

Postby -Dexter- » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:31 am

I dig Asian chicks and googled "them", found one particular interesting and SHAZAM! 8)

Now, honestly: I heard her featured in one of those AMV's. Gravity is a hooking tune and she has this great voice after all, so I don't think I need to explain why I decided to dig deeper, do I?
-Dexter-
Cool Stranger

Postby Steve » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:25 pm

Well, since some folks are repeating their stories from the original thread, I'll mention again that five years ago someone on the Dar Williams email list suggested Vienna and I looked her up online. I immediately became a fan and have been thrilled that she's come to this general area once or twice a year ever since. I've tried to bring new folks to each concert, and have watched them immediately become new fans!
Steve
Warm Stranger

Postby Scot » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:58 am

roofboy179 wrote:
Scot wrote: WHat do you do that requires you to travel so often?

Believe it or not - I'm an astronomer. Not that that's hard to
believe, but I suppose it's not obvious that astronomers would
travel so much. I'm actually fixing to leave soon for meeting in
both Marseille and Barcelona - and yes, I already checked, no Vienna
gigs there nor on my one night layover in LA! :(

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)
Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:02 am

sheeba wrote:It was May 2003 and I was in the car. I caught the last few minutes of an interview with Vienna and David Dye on Live At The World Cafe. David asked Vienna about her name and age. I remember thinking Vienna was an awesome name and how she sounded like someone much older than 23. I don't think I even heard her sing a note but I liked the tone of her speaking voice. I wrote down her name on a piece of scrap paper which got lost in my garbage can of a car. About a month later, a friend called wanting to catch some live music that night. She checked the internet: "Vienna Teng is playing at The Point but I have no idea who she is. Me: OMG! I just heard her on World Cafe, she's great! What does she sound like? I have no idea, I only heard her talk. What?! Come on, it's just up the street and we have nothing better to do." I'll never forget that first show which turned out to be one of my top five concert experiences. I've been in love with Vienna's music ever since.

Wow - I don't think I heard that before, Sheeba. Great story!

Yeah, I remember being struck be her speaking voice, too, in that
fist gig I saw. I also remember that wonderful feeling you get at most
VT shows where there's a moment right after a song ends, but before
everyone starts clapping when you can almost hear everyone let out their
breath after holding it for the last few glorious notes, sighing in
amazed appreciation. You could hear a pin drop.

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)
Scot
Tengster

Postby roofboy179 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:38 am

Scot wrote:
roofboy179 wrote:
Scot wrote: WHat do you do that requires you to travel so often?

Believe it or not - I'm an astronomer. Not that that's hard to
believe, but I suppose it's not obvious that astronomers would
travel so much. I'm actually fixing to leave soon for meeting in
both Marseille and Barcelona - and yes, I already checked, no Vienna
gigs there nor on my one night layover in LA! :(

s

Ahh! Astronomy has always interested me :wink:

SOunds fun, have a great time!
roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Yesterday was my 4 year anniversary

Postby The_Man_in_Blue » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:34 pm

I posted my "discover Vienna" story to mark my 6 month anniversary of the life changing event. Yesterday was my 4 year anniversary, which seems an appropriate time to reply to this thread. I have copied my post from 3 and a half years ago below.

The_Man_in_Blue wrote: My life changed on June 26, 2004. Little did I know how profoundly my life was going to change when I left to attend an Over the Rhine concert in Lexington that evening? I had only recently started making what seemed a long trip of 70 miles to Lexington for live music in response to Lexington’s ban on indoor smoking. My physical discomfort around second hand smoke had kept me from most live music events over the past 20 years. I was unfamiliar with the opening act, Vienna Teng and assumed I would be hearing another of Lexington’s local bands. Wanting to experience as many of the local bands as possible so I would know who was worth the trip to Lexington, I made sure to arrive in time for the opening act. Vienna was performing solo with only her keyboard that evening, but her performance was awesome, quieting what had been a noisy standing room only crowd. I was so taken by Vienna’s set that I bought both CD’s and a ticket for the Modern Troubadours appearance at the same club in early July. On the trip home I was listening to my new CDs and after hearing Say Uncle, I found myself in a rest stop reading the lyrics from the liner notes. I spent almost 2 hours, listening to both CDs while following the lyrics in the liner notes, before I could bring myself to continue my trip home. Over the next few days I listened to Vienna’s CDs many times. Instead of growing tired of the CDs after hearing them many times, I found my respect for Vienna’s talent growing each time I listened. The upcoming Modern Troubadours concert in Lexington no longer seemed enough, and I started considering the “crazy idea” of going to Chicago for another concert. Then came the realization that Cleveland and Pittsburgh were
not much farther than Chicago and Nashville was even closer than Chicago and I soon found myself planning to travel to 9 of the Modern Troubadour concerts. Those concerts were such a wonderful experience; I could hardly wait for the Fall Tour. Since that day 6 months ago I have covered over 18,000 miles from Atlantic to Pacific, from The Great Lakes to The Gulf of Mexico, and met dozens of new friends. On that day 6 months ago, I couldn’t have guessed that I would be sitting here with tickets to London; hoping the Company I hired to expedite my passport application can live up to their promise and deliver a passport in time for the London tour.
Paul

The experience since then has been even more wonderful than I could conceive when I wrote that post. I have made hundreds of friends among Vienna's fans and the musicians she has brought into my life. I have discovered the joy of recording and preserving live music, filled terabytes of disc space with concert recordings of Vienna and many other generous musicians. For those keeping score, I have now experienced 229 Vienna concerts, each wonderful and unique.

Paul
The_Man_in_Blue
Getting Stranger

Postby CandaceC » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:04 pm

Go Paul! I can't believe I haven't heard that story before!

Anyway...mine takes place Christmas Day of 2005. I was visiting my boyfriend's family for Christmas in Atlantic City and was really nervous meeting many family members for the first time. I entered and we began a frenzy of gift exchange -- clothes, accessories, otherwise. The gift I received from my boyfriend's parents (picked out by none other than Dan!) was Waking Hour. "You ever hear of Vienna Teng? She's a Chinese singer songwriter."

Sad to say I sort of blew it off. I had packed so many things in my bag that the CD fell out as we left the next morning and I nearly forgot it. As my boyfriend's parents drove me back to Philly, they put in Warm Strangers. I remember registering a very generic "Oh that's nice" before dozing off (When I finally got Warm Strangers as a gift the following February, I actually reacted a little blandly. Looking back, it all sort of adds up). I woke up to a song that I knew I heard from my childhood, and could hum along to. In the hazy in between of sleep and awake, I began to register that I could understand the language the song was in and the three other people in the car could not. I don't remember the distinct details of the conversation my boyfriend and I had about Green Island Serenade, but I think I recall being bent on finding it again.

Flash forward a few days later. The CD was still sitting in my bag, and I was working on some paper or whatnot. I remember feeling really heavy hearted and depressed, which is common for me in winter. I put in Waking Hour and I was roped by Between. I hadn't listened very carefully at first, and I ran over, started the CD over from the beginning, put everything aside and just sat there to listen. The tears started rolling pretty much immediately through The Tower. I felt so touched I think I toted the CD everywhere for about three months. It was all I'd listen to. (Oh wait, nothing's REALLY changed...)

It'll be three years of Vienna fandom soon. I've made tons of new friends, gotten to see awesome new bands, and explore an entire musical side of me I didn't know about.
CandaceC
Hot Stranger

Postby Dreaming Pepper » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:57 pm

I was sitting on my couch and my friend put her headphones on my head and blasted the music.

What a subtle way to introduce me.
Whoa.. I remembered my sign-in information!
Dreaming Pepper
Getting Stranger

Postby roofboy179 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:15 am

CandaceC wrote:Go Paul! I can't believe I haven't heard that story before!

Anyway...mine takes place Christmas Day of 2005. I was visiting my boyfriend's family for Christmas in Atlantic City and was really nervous meeting many family members for the first time. I entered and we began a frenzy of gift exchange -- clothes, accessories, otherwise. The gift I received from my boyfriend's parents (picked out by none other than Dan!) was Waking Hour. "You ever hear of Vienna Teng? She's a Chinese singer songwriter."

Sad to say I sort of blew it off. I had packed so many things in my bag that the CD fell out as we left the next morning and I nearly forgot it. As my boyfriend's parents drove me back to Philly, they put in Warm Strangers. I remember registering a very generic "Oh that's nice" before dozing off (When I finally got Warm Strangers as a gift the following February, I actually reacted a little blandly. Looking back, it all sort of adds up). I woke up to a song that I knew I heard from my childhood, and could hum along to. In the hazy in between of sleep and awake, I began to register that I could understand the language the song was in and the three other people in the car could not. I don't remember the distinct details of the conversation my boyfriend and I had about Green Island Serenade, but I think I recall being bent on finding it again.

Flash forward a few days later. The CD was still sitting in my bag, and I was working on some paper or whatnot. I remember feeling really heavy hearted and depressed, which is common for me in winter. I put in Waking Hour and I was roped by Between. I hadn't listened very carefully at first, and I ran over, started the CD over from the beginning, put everything aside and just sat there to listen. The tears started rolling pretty much immediately through The Tower. I felt so touched I think I toted the CD everywhere for about three months. It was all I'd listen to. (Oh wait, nothing's REALLY changed...)

It'll be three years of Vienna fandom soon. I've made tons of new friends, gotten to see awesome new bands, and explore an entire musical side of me I didn't know about.

That is such a great story =]

I often feel that way about music, too. the things i skip over and pay no mind to at first become one of the greatest in the end :]

Thanks for sharing
roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:16 am

Dreaming Pepper wrote:I was sitting on my couch and my friend put her headphones on my head and blasted the music.

What a subtle way to introduce me.

Subtle in its most wonderful form =]
roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby slinkytwf » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:59 am

I found her in March of 2007 via an Amazon.com "if you like X, then you might like..." link. I think it was from Tori Amos or Charlotte Martin, but it might have been Anjani Thomas. In any event, I looked over the glowing reviews and said, "why not?" I tossed Warm Strangers into the cart and several days later, I had the CD.

It usually takes me a long time to "assimilate" new music, sometimes a year or more until it really catches my ear. But it had only been a week or so, and maybe only two listens when it happened that I had my Sennheisers on while I was focused on writing, and "My Medea" came up on shuffle. I rewound it to the beginning. I cranked up the volume. When the words came around to, "for you, I'd burn the length and breadth of sky," I got chills. I grabbed the CD and read over the liner notes as I played it again. And again. Then I listened to the entire CD. As I was listening to My Medea for probably the tenth time, I was on Amazon again ordering Waking Hour and Dreaming Through the Noise and Googling for the official Web site.
slinkytwf
Cool Stranger

PreviousNext

Return to The Cafe