Wikipedia Entry

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

ctakim
Warm Stranger

Wikipedia Entry

Postby ctakim » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:21 pm

I happened to check the Wikipedia entry for Vienna Teng and it had her actual name listed. I had thought that Vienna preferred not to have this public so I went ahead and edited out. Some of you all might want to keep on eye on this site to make sure it stays that way.

ctakim

Nummie
Warm Stranger

Postby Nummie » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:25 pm

Well if there wasn't a Wikipedia page you would have made it right? ;)

but this is kind of a double thread:
http://viennateng.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1122

shawn
Hot Stranger

Postby shawn » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:30 pm

Her real name keeps popping in and out of there. Apparently somebody wants it in there...

That's the thing that puzzles/bothers me the most about Wikipedia. Seems that, for some of the more contentious entries, it's just a never-ending battle to maintain or remove or edit and reedit certain info. It just takes away from the credibility of the whole concept, in my opinion. But I seem to be in the minority on that one.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:19 am

That's the thing that puzzles/bothers me the most about Wikipedia. Seems that, for some of the more contentious entries, it's just a never-ending battle to maintain or remove or edit and reedit certain info.

Wikipedia is bogus. Because anyone can go in and type anything they want to. To show you how bogus it is, the guy who came up with the idea of Wikipedia was shocked to discover that someone had posted that he was a major suspect in the assassination of John F. Kennedy. He kept wondering why people were asking him about that when it finally was pointed out to him that they read it on Wikipedia. Almost as accurate as Fox News..............

Now every album is a Vienna Teng album so her real name is actually no big deal. I would still call her Vienna instead of her real name. I feel more comfortable with that, just as I would feel more comfortable with Vienna calling me Chairman Mo or Ever Victorious Brilliant Commander :wink:.......................

oops....time for another diet coke.......
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:37 am

Credit CTakim with an assist. Good for you, man.

I'm not sure what those clowns think they are accomplishing by revealing her legal name. Hardly the way to win friends and influence people. If nothing else, not respecting her wishes is simply rude. Eric Hoffer said, "Rudeness is a weak man's imitation of strength." They are proving him right.

I know I'm preaching to the converted here, but it's so important to respect her privacy. There are about a million reasons why she should want to keep her legal name from the public, and all of them are good.

Being in the public eye has its drawbacks. I spent fifteen years in broadcast news, and have first-hand experience with this. So many people told me, "Man, I wish I could be on TV." I always answered, "Be careful what you wish for, pal."

maisie
Cool Stranger

Postby maisie » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:31 am

I happened to come across the wikepedia article myself a while back and also did the same thing, pulling her real name out of the article. I've actually seen her real name printed in at least one article before, but it may have been a Stanford article, so not quite as public. I figured it would be better just to remove it for the time being - having it in there doesn't really add anything to enhance the article. Not sure how strongly she feels about the issue. Perhaps this is a good question for Vienna herself?

hchao
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby hchao » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:05 am

fyi, removing it makes it harder to get to, but not really by that much since wikipedia keeps a history of all edits made.

uk_fumbler
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby uk_fumbler » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:07 am

and this thread encourages curious people to go and look for it...

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:08 pm

uk_fumbler wrote:and this thread encourages curious people to go and look for it...

Look for what? :wink:
Chris

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:31 am

Good point, Chris. Call it the Warm Strangers version of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Ang Mo wrote: I would feel more comfortable with Vienna calling me Chairman Mo or Ever Victorious Brilliant Commander :wink:.......................

oops....time for another diet coke.......

Come to think of it, I prefer to be addressed as The Future Mr. Chee-Yun. :wink:

Oops, time for another Cran-Grape ...

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:37 am

Come to think of it, I prefer to be addressed as The Future Mr. Chee-Yun.

LoL!!! You are so arrogant :wink: She certainly would speed up the old heartbeat a bit. :lol:

I was at my Senior Citizen meeting tonight and this lady said to me, "My doctor told me I have acute angina" and I told her, "Well I hope so, because your legs are uglier then hell" I'm a little hard of hearing and I only went because it was free diet coke night.

As Mark Twain said,
The truth is as precious as gold, and that is why it is never told.
or something like that.

...........now back to my diet coke.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

superhilac
Howdy, Stranger!

Apology

Postby superhilac » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:49 pm

First off, I'd like to apologize. I happen to be one of the editors who entered Vienna's real public English name into Wikipedia. It was not out of malicious intention and I did not realize that she preferred this information be hidden. This is something perhaps I should have examined before taking action.

Now, the reasoning for her name disappearing and then being re-entered this past week: Before this discussion thread was created, I saw that her English name was removed and replacing it was a Chinese character representation of her name. Perhaps her 'real' Chinese name? When I examined this edit, it looked as though someone just removed my entry and replaced it. Naturally, I thought the more information the better and so I re-entered the English name.

I'm not sure whether this is hypocritical or not in terms of allowing the Chinese name and not the English, but perhaps the Chinese name is not a real name of hers either? Maybe she's content with having this information and not the other. But like I said previously, I'm not publishing the English name again. If this is truly her wishes, I respect that.

A lot of you jumped to calling myself (the previously unknown editor) names, etc. That's all fine and I'll take it. I didn't and it wasn't my intention to "win any friends" by doing this and my profession is not in the entertainment industry (i.e. clown).

I will continue to enjoy her songwriting and music. That's truly what we're all here for.

Also, I'll try hard to respect those hypocritical fans who displayed their own form of rudeness. Calling someone a childish name deserves the same Hoffer quote.

Return to “The Cafe”