My Musical Theatre Idea for Vienna....actually a movie idea.

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Ang Mo
Tengster

My Musical Theatre Idea for Vienna....actually a movie idea.

Postby Ang Mo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:05 am

Introduction

Actually a pretty little town.
http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicv/vfiles9697.jpg

The very building that played a key role in the bankruptcy of United Artists Film Studio at this link is for sale
http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/16554998/304-Sixth-Street-Wallace-ID/
Director Michael Cimino had this building which was constructed in 1892 restored for the film, "Heaven's Gate". It was huge box office disaster and caused United Artists to go into bankruptcy and of course it kind of put Cimino's career in the toilet. This building has served as a saloon, whore house, restaurant, hotel, and movie prop over its history and it is on the National Historic Register. It is supposedly haunted http://www.thecabinet.com/darkdestinations/location.php?sub_id=dark_destinations&letter=h&location_id=historic_jameson_restaurant_saloon_and_inn
The whole town is practically on the National Historic Register. Actually two
movies, Heaven's Gate and Dante's Peak have been filmed in Wallace.

Wallace is also the birthplace of movie star Lana Turner who died of throat cancer back in 1995. She was a hottie back in the day and was divorced and married seven times. Her daughter killed her gangster lover, Johnny Stompanato, so she technically stopped her from an eighth marriage and divorce. Enough of the history lesson.

I was thinking about a musical featuring an Asian music teacher who moves to Wallace to bring arts and enlightenment to this towns children. Sort of a fish out of water story like "Northern Expsoure" where the conflict comes from this educated "outsider" dealing with the quirky redneck mining community who have different ideas about their children being taught the "arts". Vienna could do the music and star in it. I think it would make a great musical movie, but it could be converted to the stage I guess. I just like movies and that unique visual backdrop. Interesting story in the New York Times about Wallace.
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/04/02/us/0402-WALLACE_index.html

Happy 4th of July to all and don't drink to many diet cokes. It makes you have crazy ideas about musicals.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:04 pm

"Hmmmm," he thinks, while sipping on a Diet Coke. "I like it!" :wink:
Chris

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:33 am

I love this idea. And I love the idea of any musical with Vienna in it. I would love to see a jukebox musical produced around Vienna's songs, too.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:28 am

I was wondering which Vienna song should be the opening theme song for the show. You can only really use about 30 seconds of a total song for the opening credits and all that jazz, so I am kind of leaning towards Harbor.
Suggestions anyone?
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:22 am

Ang Mo wrote:I was wondering which Vienna song should be the opening theme song for the show. You can only really use about 30 seconds of a total song for the opening credits and all that jazz, so I am kind of leaning towards Harbor.
Suggestions anyone?

I'm not sure what your entire idea for the movie is, but if its some kind of "I just got married, moved to a small town, and now i'm starting my life! YAY." Kind of thing, City Hall could be used.

Or Enough To Go By, which i think would make a great opening song. Harbor would be amazing, too.

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:25 am

roofboy179 wrote:Or Enough To Go By, which i think would make a great opening song. Harbor would be amazing, too.

I would love to see Enough to Go By as an OP. Augustine might be another good one.

Conversely, I think Nothing Without You would be a good ED theme in general.
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."

Reileen van Kaile
http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:34 am

Reileen wrote:
roofboy179 wrote:
I would love to see Enough to Go By as an OP. Augustine might be another good one.

Conversely, I think Nothing Without You would be a good ED theme in general.

Augustine WOULD be good! It all depends on the feeling you want in the beginning. As for Nothing Without You, that would be a fantastic closing credits song.

Another great opener that I just thought of is 1br/1ba. Which is pretty self-explanatory.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:51 am

I would incorporate City Hall into the opening episode where Vienna, by invitation of the Town Mayor, performs in concert for the whole town at the high school auditorium. I would actually just have Vienna play herself, this singer/songwriter that performed on The David Letterman Show who decided to take a break and teach for a year. Vienna plays the whole song of City Hall. The kids and townsfolk’s love that happy country tune and even the big bear of a Miner is tapping his foot to the rhythm of the song and after she is done singing, Vienna talks how it was about two women getting married legally in California and then the grumbling proceeds with the big bear of a Miner saying to his buddy, “You mean to tell me that song is about a couple of rug munchers? (Then break instantly to commercial)

This sets up the rest of the episode about whether her teaching contract will be canceled or not by the school board. They board holds a meeting to debate the topic. The conservative hardliner on the board thinks she is immoral and that homosexuality is a sin and abomination to the Lord, and is a bad example for the students. In another comedic moment, the liberal on the board points out that the conservative hardliner has been voting for a (homosexual) for years. (hint: former Senator Larry Craig), with the conservative hardliner responding, “I voted for him, but I never shook hands with him, leastways I can’t remember” all nervous and looking around the room.

The board then examines the lyrics and discover the words of the song are simply about two people getting married when you read through them. During the sixties, it was interracial marriage that was the great abomination, before that it could have been a class issue (wealthy person marrying poor person), or religion like a Protestant marrying a Catholic. Always these “horrible things” were the end all, but oddly enough, the world kept spinning and people keep existing.

Anyhow Vienna wins out, and in the final minutes of the show we see that same big bear of a Miner whistling City Hall as he walks down that lonely mine shaft to his job (see photos from New York Times article above). He spins a little pirouette right at the end and the scene fades.

Episode 2 would have to feature “El Gringo” and of course the controversial immigration bill in Arizona and how other states, (including Idaho) are attempting to adopt this same bill like Arizona’s.

It would be a cool televison show I think. I was thinking movie, but you can't get all her songs into one film. With episodic television you could and the songs play a part and fit into each episodes story line. One with all sorts of possibilities.
Last edited by Ang Mo on Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:55 am

I seriously like the sound of this. I've always thought of musicals involving Vienna's music by album. When listening to Antebellum, I constantly revisit a scene of a musical in my mind set to the song, and i've tried to think about how the rest of Inland Territory would fit around it, but it's kind of hard, since Vienna herself has admitted the album is more of a mixtape kind of thing, and less of a centrally themed album. But forming musicals around one of her other CDs would be totally possible.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:44 pm

That is why I like the tv espisode idea roofboy, because you don't have to follow the theme of an album, but you could have an episode written around one song. My idea for the third episode is where Vienna meets her new love interest in the show who just by coincidence turns out to be named "Eric". That way we can plug Eric's song into an episode. I was also thinking I could play the town doctor, named Dr. Mo, but that is too much like that James Bond movie: Dr. No

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:50 pm

Ang Mo wrote:That is why I like the tv espisode idea roofboy, because you don't have to follow the theme of an album, but you could have an episode written around one song. My idea for the third episode is where Vienna meets her new love interest in the show who just by coincidence turns out to be named "Eric". That way we can plug Eric's song into an episode. I was also thinking I could play the town doctor, named Dr. Mo, but that is too much like that James Bond movie: Dr. No

I think you could be the convenient comic relief. That one character that seems to be omnipresent, and is always there to provide a joke when needed. :P

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:08 am

I think you could be the convenient comic relief. That one character that seems to be omnipresent, and is always there to provide a joke when needed.

I will take that under consideration from my agent, I don't work for peanuts, I prefer diet coke.

In episode 4 the episode features the song Feather Moon. Now what would be the storyline for the show. I am not sure, but I will think of something.

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:52 am

Ang Mo wrote: but I will think of something.

Of that, I have no doubt! :wink:
Chris

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 am

roofboy179 wrote:I think you could be the convenient comic relief. That one character that seems to be omnipresent, and is always there to provide a joke when needed. :P

Like the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender!
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:35 am

aaparallel wrote:Like the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender!

Exactly! But with less cabbage. And if this series was turned into a movie, the chairman would appear in it, and the movie wouldn't be terrible. But really. i love the sound of this, and think this thread should be updated when ideas are created.

Return to “The Cafe”