How did you all discover Vienna?

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

How did you all discover Vienna?

Postby roofboy179 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:50 am

I first discovered her through an AMV, with Lullaby For A Stormy Night. I instantly fell in love with her. I listened to that song for hours, than found Harbor, and Whatever You Want. I rushed out to my local Wal*Mart to discover, to my great dissapointment, that there were no Vienna CD's! I ended up finding DTTN at Barnes and Nobel, and now this summer, I'm seeing her live!

How were all of you introduced to Vienna? Share all stories, I love to read them!! :D

shawn
Hot Stranger

Postby shawn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:41 pm

I know I'd answered this question here before, so I dug out this old thread. (Five years ago - wow, time flies...)

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:02 pm

I found out about her when Mikewhy, who operated the now archived Dent.com (Tori Amos site) promoted Vienna's music after seeing a show. It was about 3 months prior to the release of Warm Strangers. I went around the corner to small cd shop and asked about Waking Hour. They didn't sell it but had a promo copy in the back, and they gave it to me as a gift. I of course loved it and then bought Warm Strangers, went to some shows, and here we are 5yrs later. :D ~G
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

alwjuq
Cool Stranger

Postby alwjuq » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:17 am

five years.......... :shock:

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:51 am

Ginny wrote:I found out about her when Mikewhy, who operated the now archived Dent.com (Tori Amos site) promoted Vienna's music after seeing a show. It was about 3 months prior to the release of Warm Strangers. I went around the corner to small cd shop and asked about Waking Hour. They didn't sell it but had a promo copy in the back, and they gave it to me as a gift. I of course loved it and then bought Warm Strangers, went to some shows, and here we are 5yrs later. :D ~G

5 years, woah o0o

Luckily for me, Shes coming to milwaukee, on the anniversary that i first discovered her! (I have OCD and an incredible memory... to quote Adrian Monk, its a gift. And a curse.) I've only known of her for a year, less than that, really. But I fell in love with her instantly! I'm waiting, anxiously, for the fourth album!

Thanks for sharing your story!!

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:02 am

I first became a VT fan on the morning of January 12, 2003, when I heard her first NPR interview. God bless NPR in general, and Lianne Hanson in particular. :)

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:10 am

rahau wrote:I first became a VT fan on the morning of January 12, 2003, when I heard her first NPR interview. God bless NPR in general, and Lianne Hanson in particular. :)

Yay! You memorized the precise date like me! I wish that radio stations around here would play her music! Thank god for Pandora!

Klaorman
Getting Stranger

Postby Klaorman » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:30 am

I found Vienna from this article in the SF Chronicle, back on April 8, 2003. I went to her website, listened to Gravity and The Tower, and instantly fell in love! My wife and I saw her soon after at Borders ("There she is!" we exclaimed as we got there and saw her browsing the books) and at Tower Records and we were both hooked.
Klaorman

pudding
Warm Stranger

Postby pudding » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:37 am

Ditto for me Klaorman. I read the same article on the internet and found it so interesting I sought out her music to see what songs a software engineer/musician would write. To this day, I can recall my amazement and awe at the maturity and depth of her songwriting from someone so young.
I'm still in awe. :D

asteroid
Warm Stranger

Postby asteroid » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:51 pm

I first knew Vienna from a post on our school forum, a collection of high standard music. It's a pity that the song they selected was Green Island Serenade, which doesn't show directly Vienna's talent as a composer.

But since I major in Software Engineering, when I read that such a miraculous musician had been a software engineer, I had the curiosity to explore on.
Vienna's volunteer agent on midomi.com

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:31 pm

Klaorman wrote:I found Vienna from this article in the SF Chronicle, back on April 8, 2003. I went to her website, listened to Gravity and The Tower, and instantly fell in love! My wife and I saw her soon after at Borders ("There she is!" we exclaimed as we got there and saw her browsing the books) and at Tower Records and we were both hooked.

You lucky dog, you! GEtting to see her so often is... Well, envy inducing! Im porcupine179 from YouTUbe, as well XD I love the socks you got her :P

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:05 pm

Hi Roofer!

I'm sure I told this story before here, but ....

Was visiting a friend in MN and she wanted to go hear some blues that night.
So I flipped through the local weekly to see who was playing and came across
the ad for Vienna gig. Figured she wasn't blues, but something about
the ad intrigued me. I was off to Chicago on business the next day, so when
I happened by a record/book store, I ventured in, luckily remembered
Vienna's name and picked up both CDs and absolutely fell in love with them.
I was lucky my rental car had a CD player and I kept exchanging WH for WS the rest of my trip - with The Tower being the first song to really hook me in.

Returning back home, I found the forum and that Vienna was playing in
Austin (my next business trip) soon while I was there. So, my first
Vienna show: http://www.warmstrangers.com/cgi-bin/VTdate.cgi?date=20040331&band=VT
2004-03-31.

In a few short months later, I saw her a couple more times and hosted my
own house concert, too! (http://www.warmstrangers.com/cgi-bin/VTdate.cgi?date=20041010&band=VT)

Then I started documenting Vienna's stories about song origins, setlists, etc.... Still hooked and now trying to get Vienna out to HI some time! :>
s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:57 pm

Man, y'all...I can't even remember how I got hooked on Vienna's music. It feels like it's always been there in my life - can't quite imagine my life without it. ;)

In all seriousness, I think I came over to the Teng side around my freshman year of college (about three years ago). I'd bought Waking Hour because...I can't remember, I think I might've seen other people with VT music in their "Current Music" slot on LiveJournal and went, "Hay, y naut?" I loved Waking Hour so much right off the bat that as soon as I finished a first listen of the CD, I went on Amazon and immediately ordered Warm Strangers. :lol:

Dude...I can't even remember why I thought it would be a good idea to start posting on these forums. I'm usually a hermit even on the interwebs. XD
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."

Reileen van Kaile
http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

WintermoonSnow
Warm Stranger

Postby WintermoonSnow » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:06 pm

My high school physiology teacher played her CD for us in class once, back in '04. I feel embarassed to say so, but at the time I didn't really think much of her, but I always remembered the line from "The Tower" I feel like I'm a flower trying to bloom in the snow. A year later in '05 I finally browsed her website and downloaded some of her samples for Warm Strangers. I was really interested in "Hope on Fire" and "Harbor." She and The Animators performed at the Montgomery Theatre that year and that's when I got eternally hooked. I was listening to her warm-up session and it completely blew me away. She was practicing "Now three" and I thought "Wow, she sounds like an Angel!" Of course the actual concert was even more amazing. I bought both Waking Hour and Warm Strangers that night, playing the latter one on the car ride home. Since then I've been going to the local shows towards the end of the year, and now that I'm 21 I can finally go to more venues!

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:18 pm

Scot wrote:Hi Roofer!

I'm sure I told this story before here, but ....

Was visiting a friend in MN and she wanted to go hear some blues that night.
So I flipped through the local weekly to see who was playing and came across
the ad for Vienna gig. Figured she wasn't blues, but something about
the ad intrigued me. I was off to Chicago on business the next day, so when
I happened by a record/book store, I ventured in, luckily remembered
Vienna's name and picked up both CDs and absolutely fell in love with them.
I was lucky my rental car had a CD player and I kept exchanging WH for WS the rest of my trip - with The Tower being the first song to really hook me in.

Returning back home, I found the forum and that Vienna was playing in
Austin (my next business trip) soon while I was there. So, my first
Vienna show: http://www.warmstrangers.com/cgi-bin/VTdate.cgi?date=20040331&band=VT
2004-03-31.

In a few short months later, I saw her a couple more times and hosted my
own house concert, too! (http://www.warmstrangers.com/cgi-bin/VTdate.cgi?date=20041010&band=VT)

Then I started documenting Vienna's stories about song origins, setlists, etc.... Still hooked and now trying to get Vienna out to HI some time! :>
s

Love the nickname, Scot :P Thats an awesome story! WHat do you do that requires you to travel so often?

Return to “The Cafe”