Q&A with Vienna, December 2007

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:33 pm

Scot wrote:>>>
Second, to answer the Walking Stranger - they are already there (at least in the form posted here). So please let me know, Vienna, if they shouldn't be! :>
>>>
scot

Thanks Scot !

May I ask another question to Vienna then :
-Do you also "dream a little dream" regarding to another artist ?

:>
(copy from Scot's smiley ;) )
Last edited by Walking Stranger on Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

jessamyn
Howdy, Stranger!
Location: wandering around the public transportation of central NJ

Postby jessamyn » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:02 am

hey Vienna! I've lurked here for ages and finally decided to register just to ask you a question (or twelve) :D

okay, so I know you're probably overrun with all sorts of awesome socks by now, but how would you feel about some handknit ones? I have hordes of sock yarn and could always use someone new to foist them on--I mean, gift them to.

and on a completely different note, what's your current favorite place to eat at in NY at the moment?

CandaceC
Hot Stranger

Postby CandaceC » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:39 am

Oo oo, I have more! And this time they're mostly less stupid than my pie question. Not that my pie question isn't awesome.

1) What has been your most embarrassing moment on stage?

2) The rudest thing an audience member could do?

3) How do you deal with the ... copious amounts of upset time that comes naturally belongs with being a musician? (Like the "not good enough" or the "what am I going to do with my life outside of this gig" and such like things?)
Last edited by CandaceC on Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rotkehlchen
Warm Stranger

Postby Rotkehlchen » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:15 pm

Dear Professor Teng,

(1)
    As I once mentioned in a longer posting: In some of your music - perhaps because of your classical piano training and intricate piano parts - I hear echoes of a much earlier songwriter, Franz Schubert (though he admittedly used others' lyrics and often wrote his music on the back of wine bills).

Thus My Medea shares the desperate rising intensity of Schubert's Erlkönig.

But do you actually regard Schubert (or any other classical composer) as one of your musical antecedents?

(2)
    Angelique Kidjo sings a remarkably convincing and accurate cover version (her own French lyrics) of Ravel's Bolero - which she claims as African dance music.

Are there any classical pieces you would like to cover - perhaps a Bach partita or a Brandenburg concerto movement?

(3)
    Did Vienna (Austria) meet your expectations?

(4)
    Will you ever write up your German/European tour memories in your Scrapbook? Please...! :roll:

PS
I'm the Englishman with a slight German accent (aka linguistically challenged) who spoke to you after your Düsseldorf concert about living between cultures and languages...
~ R

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:35 pm

Hi, Vienna--
I always want to know what musicians other musicians are listening to, so who are you listening to lately? ~G
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

JohnEZ
Warm Stranger

Postby JohnEZ » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:10 am

Hi VT!

I was just wondering three small, itsy bitsy things.

1. So, when's the next CD coming out?
2. ...do you think maybe... kind of.. sort of... you might be able to release Cannonball on CD? Or maybe on a songscraps section of this website like you had on v1? :roll: :wink:
3. How do you like living on the east coast? Did you go to the Rockefeller Center Tree Lighting Ceremony?

Hope you're well. Happy Holidays!
-John
Last edited by JohnEZ on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

CandaceC
Hot Stranger

Postby CandaceC » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:38 am

Oo oo more!

What has been the piece of piano literature you desperately want to play but haven't gotten to yet?

EDIT: Instead of posting something new...
Is Alex single? XD
Or in dire need of a fangirl?

*snrk*
Last edited by CandaceC on Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:01 am

JohnEZ wrote:2. ...do you think maybe... kind of.. sort of... you might be able to release Cannonball on CD? Or maybe on a songscraps section of this website like you had on v1? :roll: :wink:

Not quite a CD, but there's an official live recorded version of Cannonball available from the iTunes store (for the grand price of $.99).

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:46 am

Did the band and yourself ever try any of the restaurants I listed on the forum from Portland or Seattle or Pasadena?

Did they like them? Hate them?

What do you think was your best all out performance this year. Which venue and city?
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

JohnEZ
Warm Stranger

Postby JohnEZ » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:39 pm

tanthalas wrote:
Not quite a CD, but there's an official live recorded version of Cannonball available from the iTunes store (for the grand price of $.99).

I know, but I find its "live performance" sound just a bit irritating. :oops:

Rotkehlchen
Warm Stranger

Postby Rotkehlchen » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:28 am

Vienna, I'm interested in your creative process:

When you're on tour, can you find enough quiet moments between performances to create new songs, or must that wait for a few peaceful days at home?

Does the controlled chaos of touring and its adrenaline of the unexpected sometimes provide inspiration?
~ R

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:06 pm

JohnEZ wrote:
tanthalas wrote:

I know, but I find its "live performance" sound just a bit irritating. :oops:

I agree with you JohnEZ.

So, another question to VT :

-Is there any hope that a special "covers by VT" cd - not "live performance" - will be born one day ? (^_^)
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

asteroid
Warm Stranger

Postby asteroid » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:13 pm

Greetings to our musician...

Have you written songs in Chinese?
When will you publish your albums in China(especially the Mainland)? I hate having to download pirate versions...

Another question ---- Do you find that software engineering and creating music have something in common? How do you describe it?
Vienna's volunteer agent on midomi.com

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:55 am

I am beginning to feel like I am in the land of misfit toys, waiting with Rudolf for Santa to show up and save the day..............................

New Question: Where is Vienna Teng?

Maybe she is stocking Mr. Cheng's fridge and didn't have time to answer the questions.

Maybe she has been kidnapped by Britney Spears and forced to give a singing lesson.

I called Norad and they said that Vienna Teng is an alias and I would have to report the real name. I explained if I did that I get threatening email from the other forumites.

Oh well, there is always next year..............(Ang Mo shuffles off into the darkness, diet coke bottle dragging in the snow)

But wait.................(The dots are for suspense)
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Vienna
Warm Stranger

Postby Vienna » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:40 am

Questions about Abound - Andreas Sahar cover :
- Will the whole and authentic lyrics that you have re-adapted from the original one of Andreas Sahar be available on Scot's Vienna Teng Page in songnotes section ? - or not if restricted by some copyrights stuffs ?
- Any details of what parts of the lyrics that had been changed ?

Salut Walking Stranger!

Re: the original lyrics for "Abound," you'll have to ask Andreas about that...I believe the other version on his site (by the group Uneti) has the correct lyrics. I think I just omitted some at the end in favor of repeating ones from earlier in the song—probably because I was trying to play the melody in the piano, and that required all the brainpower I had.

Return to “The Cafe”