Throckmorton Theater - Mill Valley, CA November 8, 2015

Relate your impressions from a show, post setlists, etc ...

Moderator: Ginny

Michele
Strange

Throckmorton Theater - Mill Valley, CA November 8, 2015

Postby Michele » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:17 am

Whatever You Want
My Medea
Level Up
Grandmother Song

Songs From The Fourth Messenger
Pebble in a Lake
The Truth Must Come Out
Monkey Mind
The Human Experience (deluxe version, original plus reprise)
Bois Riche
You've Got a Glow
Knock Knock
Force of Nature
The Real Thing
I Wil Not Rise
Bread and Water
Sleep
Come Back To Me
It Was You
What About Me?
You Are There
Aren't You Ashamed
As Long As I Am Living
Look to the Thought Reprise

Gravity (Braid)
Feather Moon
Happy Birthday
Blue Caravan
City Hall
Ain't No Sunshine/Lose Yourself
Decade and One
Harbor (messed with) mashed up with In Your Eyes
Lullabye For A Stormy Night

Faix
Cool Stranger

Re: Throckmorton Theater - Mill Valley, CA November 8, 2015

Postby Faix » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:49 am

Oh wow, the non-Fourth Messenger songs are pretty much completely different from those at the Berkeley show! I'd love to have heard them. The Harbor mash with In Your Eyes sounds interesting O_o

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:30 pm

Faix wrote:Oh wow, the non-Fourth Messenger songs are pretty much completely different from those at the Berkeley show! I'd love to have heard them. The Harbor mash with In Your Eyes sounds interesting O_o

When she finished she said, "The tempos didn't match" - It was perfect! (I wasn't the only one who thought so, someone else shouted that at her after she said that.)

For this show Cathleen came back as Hag, and Anna was May. I'll post more pics on Instagram later, I got through like a third of the first set before I got bored with posting. (I am not particularly strong with the "Insta" part of Instagram.)

I'll try to at least get audio up quickly. We probably could've done an audio stream, but we didn't have a definite plan, so I decided we needed to focus on getting good recordings instead. We had tried Periscoping an unrelated event earlier on Saturday, but the phone overheated, so that was out.

Erik
Warm Stranger

Postby Erik » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:19 am

Thirteen years and counting.

Today marks the anniversary of the first Vienna Teng show that Michele and I attended. November 9, 2002 was the CD release celebration for the Virt Records version of Waking Hour and we got to meet a couple of great fans as well as Vienna and her mother that afternoon. We ended up at the next show the next day and our journey began.

The Throckmorton show started with Whatever You Want, a song with the third line being "thirteen years and counting." I've decided to do a review of the songs Vienna selected from her catalog and provide some of the ways I personally have connected to them. You all know her performance was stellar. It always is. Here's a different spin on things.

Whatever You Want
That one song that reminds me of Office Space. The connection here was more the 13 years than anything else on this particular night.

My Medea
The first Vienna show we attended was focused on Waking Hour and had an encore of Green Island Serenade and Anna Rose, two songs that would later appear on Warm Strangers. The second show was double the length and among many other songs that were yet unreleased was this dark and dramatic. For the Throckmorton show, she played this one by request from Eryn Allen and it fit in very well with the dramatic performance of The Fourth Messenger that was about to follow. From yesteryear, this was one of the songs that I really connected with and it helped keep us coming back.

Level Up
An avalanche of Kickstarter fulfillment and an 8-bit remix that I've dreamed up but never worked on are the two things I think of first when I think of this one. I really love Aims as a whole and Level Up was a great single and has a really creative video as well.

Grandmother Song
While recording Grandmother Song for Inland Territory, we did some multimedia work that eventually went to Rounder to be used for press kit materials. We were in a slightly haunted house with Vienna, Alex, Eddie, the three talented women from Charming Hostess and a group consisting of the homeowners and some of their friends. It was there that I learned that I have no idea how to keep rhythm and instead of being featured on the track as a clapper or table slapper, I got to press space bar to start the recording in Pro Tools. 2nd Engineer for a Vienna Teng song is probably a better title than "guy who made it so we had to record 25 takes".

Gravity (Braid)
Gravity, in one of its original forms, I can't remember if it was Lake or River, was the first song we ever heard from Vienna Teng live. A friend had mentioned Vienna when we were visiting Los Angeles earlier in the year and her name was unique enough that we remembered it. Gravity was the standout track for me at that first performance and still one of my favorites today. I'll never forget that first performance or the one January 20, 2003 that I watched on tape delay as she performed live with accompaniment from Paul Shaffer and the Late Show band when she performed on David Letterman's show. I thought that then was going to be her big break and I'd never have the opportunity to help her load in her PA system or keyboard into a coffee shop or club again. I'm happy we're still sort of doing that today but with a lot more than a few people at a Starbucks watching and enjoying her performances.

Feather Moon
Another one that debuted for us at the epic second show Michele and I attended. My favorite performance of Feather Moon was actually one with aborted side project Estonia (Jim Batcho, John Given, Nate Query and Vienna), Alan Lin, Marika Hughes and Odessa Chen from The Independent on December 16, 2004. It was the second ever "Special Holiday Show" for Vienna Teng and her talented musician friends, a project that was once a doodled out fantasy from me that I shared with Vienna and The Animators after a show earlier in the year. The doodle included pretend sets from Kyler England, The Animators and Vienna Teng with a big cover tune encore at the end.

Happy Birthday
They say it's your birthday, okay, it wasn't mine. Happy birthday guy whose birthday it was.

Blue Caravan
My mom and sister were at the show that happened the day this song was "finished" and performed for the first time in soundcheck and was eager to gloat to me that she'd heard something by Vienna Teng that I hadn't heard yet. It wasn't until years later that I got to experience actually getting into a legitimate blue Dodge Caravan and joined Vienna and Alex on tour for a few dates. Blue Caravan helps connect me back to my family through a song and there are so many roads we have all traveled on this Vienna Teng music map journey thus far that I could spend hours going into explicit detail and boring all of you.

City Hall
The Short Story Players, a band consisting of Marika Hughes, Shahzad Ismaily and Dina Maccabee accompanying Vienna worked out an amazing arrangement of this song that included a dance number. For the Live at World Cafe DVD taping, which was to mark the FINAL performance of that dance number, Dina took the "lay down and die" line a bit too extreme and almost injured herself. I passed by City Hall on both Saturday and Sunday and the song is always my internal soundtrack when I'm walking in San Francisco's civic center.

Ain't No Sunshine/Lose Yourself
Vienna had been threatening to learn Lose Yourself for quite a while and this mashup first premiered on StageIt during the "rarities" show she did a few years back. I tended to stay away from the web broadcasts but this one brought me over to Michele's computer screen. The blend of Withers and Mathers with Vienna is an unexpected mixture that really works and I'm glad to see that lots of other fans like it too.

Decade and One
It is funny to listen to this one, written when Vienna was twenty, looking forward 11 years. We met her a few years later and can now look back 11 years or forward 11 more. I'm thankful for all of those I've met and connected with over my time as a fan and the people that Vienna brings in to both accompany her on songs and those that line up and sell out shows around the world. It is rare to be able to form a lasting friendship with someone who you went to see in concert at a library one day and then sorta kept showing up to see again and again. It is even rarer to form those lasting friendships with those who also showed up at one show and then kept showing up again and again. Thanks to all of you for being those people.

Harbor (messed with) mashed up with In Your Eyes
Harbor debuted in a soundcheck at Freight and Salvage unexpectedly for us one day. Wait, Waking Hour (the song, not the album) has lyrics now? I think next time the request bucket comes out, I'll be requesting "Waking Hour, but with lyrics".
For those attending the show, incorporating some Peter Gabriel into the "messed with" version of Harbor probably seemed like a bit of spur-of-the-moment impromptu genius from Vienna. Yes, it was, but it has been an oft-requested cover that she may have tricked me and Michele into believing she has now satisfied. That early doodled "Vienna Teng and Friends Extravaganza" plan that I drew up that sort of became the traditional holiday concerts ended with Vienna, The Animators and Kyler joining together for a cover of In Your Eyes. Michele requested it with a smiley face this year in hopes it would get onto the requests only setlist and there it was, plain as day, to mark the end of our twelfth year as fans. That said, Vienna cheated as she didn't even get to the chorus, so we'll be requesting it again someday.

Lullabye For A Stormy Night
As we put another year to rest, this gentle lullaby. Since we won't have holiday shows, I'll take the time now to wish everyone a happy and joyous holiday season.

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:24 am

The doodle included pretend sets from Kyler England, The Animators and Vienna Teng with a big cover tune encore at the end.

I believe Brother Henry was also on that list. Despite being people who document everything, we didn't take a picture of this before we gave it to Vienna. Eh well.

I have nothing to add, Erik's retrospective is great. Thanks for writing it :D and thanks to all of you for sharing your own memories over the years.

chigaijin
Warm Stranger

Postby chigaijin » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:21 am

Wow. Thanks for the stories, Erik…and thanks to you and Michele for all you've done for the community.

Erik wrote:Level Up
An avalanche of Kickstarter fulfillment and an 8-bit remix that I've dreamed up but never worked on

I…I think I can hear it. It sounds amazing. You should do it.

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:13 am

I managed to finish up audio of set 2 before the day ended...and here is just Harbor/In Your Eyes.
(Links are good for a week.)

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:59 am

What an awesome setlist. Sort of regretting not making the trek to Mill Valley now, but I attended a musical improv/group therapy session instead, which seemed like a fitting follow-up to The Fourth Messenger. Thank you so much for all of the tireless work, Michele and Erik! You've enhanced the VT experience for so many fans over the past 13 years. And thanks for recording and sharing. :D
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

Kalenabear
Warm Stranger

Postby Kalenabear » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:24 pm

Among many other things, thank you for sharing your anniversary stories with us, Erik & Michele! Great to see you last weekend! Indeed, this community wouldn't be as vibrant without your indefatigable help and contribution.

I was giddy that she played Gravity (braid version) that night. Like you, Gravity was the first song I heard of VT's, then Harbor. Speaking of, that Harbor/In Your Eyes...what? Just...how?? :shock: Amazing. I also got goosebumps from My Medea. Great night with great people! :)

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:19 am

I love living in Hawaii, but one downside is missing shows and memories like this.
Thanks for the posts!

scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Return to “Performances”