Soiled Dove Underground - Denver, CO - 12/11/13

Relate your impressions from a show, post setlists, etc ...

Moderator: Ginny

anyana
Cool Stranger

Soiled Dove Underground - Denver, CO - 12/11/13

Postby anyana » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:20 pm

VT & Company drove all night from Minneapolis and arrived in Denver at 3pm for their 8pm show (!). I'm just thankful the show wasn't last week, because with the ice and snow, she probably wouldn't have made it. Here's the setlist and some thoughts!

Alex Wong Opening Set:
Brooklyn Blurs
Never Look Back
20 Faces
In the Creases (see note)
Always Something Better (w/VT)
Are You Listening (w/VT and JH)

Vienna Teng Main Set:
The Last Snowfall
Blue Caravan (VT + JH)
Level Up (VTT)
Landsailor (VTT + AL)
Close to Home (VTT)
The Hymn of Acxiom (VT solo)
The Breaking Light (VTT)
Antebellum (VTT)
**Downton Abbey theme, played by Alex**
Oh Mama No (VTT)
Flyweight Love (VTT)
In the 99 (VTT)
Copenhagen (VTT) - with cups by JH & AW (and VT at the end)
Grandmother Song (VTT) (with Single Ladies thrown in there)

Encore:
Ain't No Sunshine/Lose Yourself (VT solo)
Goodnight New York - accoustic

VT - Vienna Teng
JH - Jordan Hamlin
AL - Aaron Long
AW - Alex Wong
VTT - Vienna Teng Trio featuring VT, JH and AW

As I said above, they drove all night and were obviously a little punchy -- but it really just made Vienna funny. I really enjoyed the bit with her synthesizer where she showed us the different 'voices' it can do (Barry White, Nashville backup singers). The cups performance during Copenhagen was pretty darn cool - I am so uncoordinated, that people who can do things like that always impress me. :) My only complaint about the show is that the sound seemed a little off -- at times the instruments/synthesizer were so loud that it was hard to hear the singer. She does so much with the 'robots' these days, and I really like her newer sound -- but I do still love her accoustic, simpler stuff too. Overall, I was really happy with our set list, and it was a great show.

Re: In the Creases. If you saw my post before, I was really hoping to hear Never Look Away, but that obviously wans't being played on this tour. So, I decided to 'lobby' for In the Creases from Alex instead, since I just love the song. I also figured I would have a better chance at getting him to play a request than Vienna (and I think I was right -- someone shouted out a request, and she said she 'actually' had a plan for this performance and didn't play it). I emailed Alex the day before requesting it, and when he started his third song with "So, I got an email yesterday..." I was so happy! He called me out and asked me to lead the "Once love wakes" part, which I did sing along to, but I was too embarrased to 'lead' it (there's a good reason I'm not a performer!!). But I was actually seated right in front of him, so given he sought me out during the show, it was pretty cool. :)

Michele
Strange

Re: Soiled Dove Underground - Denver, CO - 12/11/13

Postby Michele » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:51 pm

anyana wrote:VT & Company drove all night from Minneapolis and arrived in Denver at 3pm for their 8pm show (!). I'm just thankful the show wasn't last week, because with the ice and snow, she probably wouldn't have made it.

The band really lucked out with very largely dodging the storms. I'm glad they got through that long drive. Hope they can get a bit of rest today.

Was a bit surprised to hear of major sound issues - I hadn't remembered to mention it, but I think a bunch of the common issues at the beginning of the tour got smoothed out. Every night is still different, and some nights have their own local gremlins. Sorry to hear it was one of those nights, but glad you still enjoyed the show!

Also glad you got your request, and that you plotted for it well in advance! We got a message for Homecoming, like, five minutes before the show or something. That wasn't going to happen :lol: (Although it's more likely with a Twitter request, probably.) But yes, if you ask for a singalong song, be warned that you'll be expected to deliver! 8)

Thanks for the show report!

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:04 pm

Anyana,

So glad you got your "In The Creases" request granted! Thanks for the report, too.

Part of your sound issues may have been seat location. Most venues have a difficult time balancing sound well in the area right in front of the stage, as you're so close to the on stage monitors and amps that often you're hearing a lot of sound from there, rather than through the house PA. The worst place to hear the total balance of a show is when you're actually on stage. That's for good reason (as each performer has to hear primarily him or herself, although they still need to hear everyone else, but at a somewhat lower level) most of the time. So when you're really close to the stage you'll sometimes not hear the total mix as well as you might be able to elsewhere in the house. But the proximity to the performers usually more than compensates for that, yes? :)

I am totally amazed that they were intact enough to do a show. After a 14 hour overnight (and much of the day) drive from Minnesota, I'm sure they were only running on adrenalin. Then I'm sure Vienna was frustrated with the Kickstarter issues shortly before she went on stage (as I believe she sent out one update while Alex must have just been starting his set and then she wanted to send another to all backer levels but Kickstarter wouldn't cooperate). So for her to compose herself well enough to do the show is amazing. I know I couldn't have managed that!

Two days to tour wrap! It's been an awesome run....
Chris

anyana
Cool Stranger

Postby anyana » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:28 pm

I was very close to the stage -- so that likely could have had to do with it. But agreed - it was very cool to be that close and to get to see them!

Re: the singalong -- it honestly never crossed my mind that In the Creases would be a singalong - though now that I think about it, it probably should have. :)

Homecoming is my all-time favorite song. I totally would have LOVED to have heard that!

Erik
Warm Stranger

Postby Erik » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:46 pm

Thanks for sharing your show report and experience, anyana!

Return to “Performances”