Never Look Away Not Being Played?

Relate your impressions from a show, post setlists, etc ...

Moderator: Ginny

anyana
Cool Stranger

Never Look Away Not Being Played?

Postby anyana » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:14 pm

This isn't about a specific performance, per se, but does anyone know why Vienna isn't playing Never Look Away from her new album? It's my favorite song from AIMS, and I'm so excited for her performance in Denver next week, but I was wondering if I have any hope of hearing that song. Seems strange that I haven't seen any set lists with that song (unless I missed it). Any insight??

cmooreNC
Tengster

Re: Never Look Away Not Being Played?

Postby cmooreNC » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:30 pm

It made a "partial appearance" in at least one soundcheck over in Germany, but has not been played as part of an actual performance, at least to my knowledge. There are several factors, most of them revolving around the difficulty of playing it live with the equipment available. It's a heavy synth track with a mechanically produced beat in the "dance" portion, for one. Her vocal is also auto-tuned, for another. And she has also discussed the fact that in order to perform the song on any regular basis she'd probably blow her voice out. She commented that the work she did in the studio to record the vocal in the second half of the song was quite strenuous in that she had to really push herself, vocally (as it's almost a "singing scream"). She's not one to get on stage and lip synch anything, so I'm not sure this one will ever show up in a set on this tour.

All of that being said, I will be attending the tour closing show on December 14th in Salt Lake City and I do plan to beg for it then. Who knows? It might have a shot at being a "last song of the tour." 'Cause if you're ever going to blow your voice out, might as well do so at the end! (not that I really want her to blow her voice out, of course)
Chris

anyana
Cool Stranger

Postby anyana » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:58 pm

Chris, thanks for the insight. Maybe since Denver is towards the end, I can convince her....? :wink:

Or maybe I should focus my energies on campaigning for other 'oldies' that I would love to hear (and have seen played sporadically on the tour). :lol:

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:15 pm

She's not playing many requests in the main set. Pretty much just the opening slot. Your best bet is to attend the "VIP soundcheck" session pre-show, if you have the opportunity.

Good luck!
Chris

anyana
Cool Stranger

Postby anyana » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:26 pm

I'm also going to campaign for In the Creases from Alex. Suggestions on how to best do that?

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:35 pm

Sit near the stage, if possible, and just do a "shout out request" in between songs early in his set. (When I say "shout out," I don't mean loudly.... just in a voice loud enough for him to hear.) You'll find that they are both very "conversational" during their performance and they don't mind audience interaction. They actually encourage it, at times. Just don't be rude and they'll be fine with comments from the audience. By "rude" I mean talking out loud during their songs (other than singing along) or pestering them for something that they've already declined to do.

Enjoy the show and please give us a report back here afterward! :D
Chris

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:13 pm

anyana wrote:This isn't about a specific performance, per se, but does anyone know why Vienna isn't playing Never Look Away from her new album? It's my favorite song from AIMS, and I'm so excited for her performance in Denver next week, but I was wondering if I have any hope of hearing that song. Seems strange that I haven't seen any set lists with that song (unless I missed it). Any insight??

From what I know, the trio hasn't been performing "Never Look Away" simply because they haven't rehearsed it. Vienna can play it solo, but you have to convince her that it will work as an acoustic vocal+piano piece. :wink: I think part of it is not necessarily the difficulty of playing the song (the one difficult thing to pull off being the high belting part towards the end) but the effectiveness of playing a dance track live with their setup.

As for "In the Creases," you can request it during the show or before the show if you see Alex, or you can send him a message by e-mail/Facebook/Twitter. It's a popular request and he's happy to play it when he can. :)
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

arcsol
Warm Stranger

Postby arcsol » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:51 pm

Brain fart re Never Look Away: as much as I love this song (it's a shoo-in for my 2014 soundtrack, along with Level Up) it's a song that's best played at this large-ish venue where people can actually dance, complete with a laser show synched to the song. Now *that's* something I'd like to see lol.

...and now I can't get this mental image of Vienna and the gang sporting 80s neon glam rock wigs. D:
A VT fan from the Philippines?

Do check out the 2014 Vienna Teng PHILIPPINES tour thread!

Drop a line and say hi! Post on the thread, leave a PM if you want, or send an email at marc dot a dot public at gmail dot com so we can make this happen!

anyana
Cool Stranger

Postby anyana » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:43 am

Arcsol, the rhythm is one of the things I like most about it. :-) I'm a runner, and I finally have VT songs I can run to (Landsailor and Level Up are great for running too). Only problem is the funny looks I get when I sing along while running. ;-)

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:08 am

Anyana,

We got Never Look Away as part of the preshow M&G session in Salt Lake City last night!

I have posted a video of that on Vienna's timeline on Facebook if you would like to see how it went.
Chris

anyana
Cool Stranger

Postby anyana » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:08 pm

Thank you for posting!! I'm jealous -- I enjoyed the video and think it would have made a good addition to her lineup, but I guess she had to make tough choices about which songs to include!

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:46 pm

anyana wrote:Thank you for posting!! I'm jealous -- I enjoyed the video and think it would have made a good addition to her lineup, but I guess she had to make tough choices about which songs to include!

Good addition? Yes. But what would she have replaced? For pretty much the entire tour she played nine or 10 of the 11 songs on the new album. That's a lot for a setlist that generally ran 15-17 songs. And the shows were generally running about three hours in length (including the opening act and intermission), with her own set and encore(s) in the 2-hour neighborhood. So if she'd added Never Look Away on a regular basis, something else would've had to drop out of the setlist. So I can understand why she didn't. I think there are a few other reasons why she didn't play this song, but I'm only guessing --- a few I've mentioned before (potential voice strain, etc.), but most significantly it's just a very different song that probably would've been best if played by the full trio and they just never had the chance to work it up and rehearse it.

You're right. She had "tough choices" this time around. Five albums is a lot of material. She couldn't do it all. To be very honest when I saw the initial setlists I couldn't help but think that she was going too heavy on the new material. But now that the tour is over I have changed my mind on that. I didn't think her audiences would "swallow" that many new songs when she was leaving out so many of the older ones. But I was wrong. I caught five shows on the tour and the audience response was tremendous at all of them. The woman (and Alex and Jordan) is/are amazing. I think they could pretty much play anything and blow people away, night after night. Because they certainly did on this tour! (Myself included, of course.)
Chris

Return to “Performances”