The Independent, San Francisco, CA (Nov 16 2013, both shows)

Relate your impressions from a show, post setlists, etc ...

Moderator: Ginny

chigaijin
Warm Stranger

The Independent, San Francisco, CA (Nov 16 2013, both shows)

Postby chigaijin » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:14 am

Writing this in leftover after-show high. It helped that the show's energy peaks late in its setlist, so I can ride the wave of "In the 99" even past the end.

Unfortunately for all of you I didn't bother to pay close attention to the setlist, which was apparently identical between the two shows. I'm sure Michele will have it up soon, if no one else. It was very similar to the other recent shows; the opener was Augustine and Alex's token song was Are You Listening.

So instead, I'll just share some random impressions from the late show (the only one I went to):

• In the opening for Landsailor, Vienna was playing "all of humanity" as usual ("not pretentious at all"); Aaron, "capitalism and technology" (*AL gives low thumbs up* VT: "also not pretentious"); Alex, the steady march of progress, the locomotor of...something (AW: "...with my steam-based drum kit over here."); and Jordan, the green hills and valleys and the...food web (JH: "Yeah, I've heard people say that about my guitar. 'I'm getting a real food web vibe!'"). Audience is laughing; VT: "Guys, this is a serious song!"; more laughs.
  • The Downton Abbey joke continues. Tonight Alex was in charge of making sure there was a proper segue from Downton Abbey into several different songs—I think it started with The Breaking Light, and continued with Are You Listening and IIRC Antebellum (the "Mullebetna" version with the guitar and piano lines purportedly swapped). It also got the group to break into random British accents at times.
  • In that vein... VT (paraphrasing): "I have this fantasy of, like, Maggie Smith, as this high-class British matron, but saying like really nerdy music things. 'I can't believe they would use a Hammond on that track.'" (later) AW: "I'm still thinking of Maggie Smith saying, 'That, that was a dope beat.'"
  • COPENHAGEN SPOILER. I haven't seen this anywhere else yet, but it will irrevocably change the way you listen to Copenhagen.

As Vienna explained, Copenhagen was one of the songs where the music came first, so in order to get the lyrics, she set herself two challenges. The first, obviously, was to talk about climate change negotiations. The second was to use as many keys on a computer keyboard as possible. (highlight the text to see it.)

I'm calling this "the Fed-Ex arrow of Vienna Teng". (Perhaps this is what katar was referring to at the LA show? That's certainly why it's on my mind.)
  • Both Hymn of Acxiom and Copenhagen were a bit more legato than they have been on tour (closer to the album versions), which is the way I like them.
  • The very final finish of Copenhagen went awry tonight, the first time I've seen that. :-( But the audience didn't seem to care; they loved it anyway.
  • Since Aims is more produced than previous albums, a lot of my focus went towards watching them make the sounds (usually I try to pay more attention to the audio). I love Alex's pitched drum pads and the perennial waterphone, Jordan's ethereal guitar (even without the thread!) and clarinet, and Vienna's voice and piano, when she's free to add new stuff in on top of the existing arrangement. Sometimes it's just a note, a single piano key, that makes the arrangement fresh again.

Of course, it was also great to hear the songs whose tour arrangements felt very different from the album versions, like Blue Caravan (the JH guitar incarnation) and the epic In the 99.
  • Goodnight New York is really nice live. It's just VT playing guitar with AW and JH singing harmony.

Even though I was with my own group for the show itself, I got to chat afterwards with Noreen (who was working merch), catch up with sketch artist James (don't know if he has a username here), and briefly say hi to Erik and Michele. So that was cool too...see you all next time!

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Re: The Independent, San Francisco, CA (Nov 16 2013, both sh

Postby aaparallel » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:11 pm

chigaijin wrote:Writing this in leftover after-show high. It helped that the show's energy peaks late in its setlist, so I can ride the wave of "In the 99" even past the end.

Unfortunately for all of you I didn't bother to pay close attention to the setlist, which was apparently identical between the two shows. I'm sure Michele will have it up soon, if no one else. It was very similar to the other recent shows; the opener was Augustine and Alex's token song was Are You Listening.

Mmm haven't heard her open with Augustine since the last duo/solo holiday shows. Also, I know the sets were not identical... she opened with "City Hall" during the early set. :wink:

I knew about the Copenhagen lyrics. I think someone (Michele?) mentioned that on here. Very cool. So glad VT ditched the "lyrics aren't important/are just texture - just pay attention to Alex and Jordan" intro for that song.
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

jamescmcneill
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby jamescmcneill » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:22 pm

sketch artist James here. I did have another account at one point but it was attached to a no-longer-existent email address.

I think Michele got a photo of my sketches from the 9:30 showing; I'm currently lacking a camera, so Michele, if you could send it my way or just post it that'd be fantastic.

Also, this was the first time I saw JH and I'm really hoping we get some live recordings of her contributions, or she keeps touring with Vienna at least.

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:34 am

Yes! Picture, I have it, will post it. For now, setlists:

City Hall
Blue Caravan
Level Up
Landsailor
Close To Home
a few more lines of Hide and Seek
The Hymn of Acxiom
The Breaking Light
Antebellum
Alex plays the Downton Abbey theme
Oh Mama No
Are You Listening
Flyweight Love
In The 99
Copenhagen
Goodnight New York

Ain't No Sunshine/Lose Yourself
Grandmother Song (with Single Ladies)

Augustine
Blue Caravan
Level Up
Landsailor
Close To Home
a bit of End of the Road
The Hymn of Acxiom
The Breaking Light
Antebellum
Oh Mama No
Vienna plays the Downton Abbey theme
Are You Listening
Flyweight Love
In The 99
Copenhagen
Goodnight New York

Ain't No Sunshine/Lose Yourself
Grandmother Song

For the first show, Vienna encouraged the audience to outdo the audience in Los Angeles, and they obliged. For the second show, we had a typical overly polite San Francisco audience. For the first show, the lighting was very dark and plain. For the second show, the usual excellent lighting of the Indy decided to show up. They tried to change up the song stories for the two shows.

Noreen
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby Noreen » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:29 am

Vienna dropped an F bomb onstage....LOL

Was awesome...both shows

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:39 pm

Noreen wrote:Vienna dropped an F bomb onstage....LOL

Really? Wow! I don't think I've ever heard her use one OFF stage, never mind ON! :)
Chris

Return to “Performances”