Yoshi's Oakland 3/13/11

Relate your impressions from a show, post setlists, etc ...

Moderator: Ginny

Erik
Warm Stranger

Yoshi's Oakland 3/13/11

Postby Erik » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:28 am

Show 1
Augustine
Antebellum
The Tower
Stray Italian Greyhound
Are You Listening
The Breaking Light
No Gringo
My Medea
Recessional
City Hall
Radio
Harbor
Grandmother Song

Erik
Warm Stranger

Postby Erik » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:27 am

Show 2
Augustine
Antebellum
Blue Caravan
No Gringo
Stray Italian Greyhound
The Tower
Are You Listening
The Breaking Light
The Breaking Light (Take 2)
I Don't Feel So Well
My Medea
Radio
Harbor
Grandmother Song
-
Green Island Serenade
Help is On the Way

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:33 am

It was great to see Vienna and Alex again. As much as I enjoyed the December show at the Great American Music Hall, I wished at the time it had featured more of Vienna and Alex. Tonight's show was just what the doctor ordered. Vienna and Alex were in top form. In addition to sounding wonderful, Vienna was also Quite The Stunner in her maroon halter gown.

The new songs, "Are You Listening" and "The Breaking Light" are both brilliant. Tonight's versions of "The Breaking Light" were recorded and will soon be available as downloads. All proceeds will go toward earthquake relief. In lieu of passing a hat, they passed Alex' tambourine around the audience for additional quake relief contributions. The tambourine never made it to me - in the back row - so I stuck a dollar contribution into a book I brought for Vienna.

I really enjoyed hearing the new version of "My Medea," with the looper brought into the picture. The song has been a favorite for some time, and the looper effects brought a new dimension to it.

Afterwards I chatted with Vienna a bit, who was gracious and charming as always. It was great to see The Usual Suspects - Erik and Michele, Tanthalas, WintermoonSnow, Mr. Cheng and his lovely bride, and a few others. Sorry if I didn't have the chance to chat with all of you. Hope to see you in Santa Cruz!

WintermoonSnow
Warm Stranger

Postby WintermoonSnow » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:54 am

Normally when it comes to these shows I'm excited for the whole week leading up to it, which sometimes even induces concert dreams, lol. I'd been so caught up in things and stressed out lately though so even though I knew it was coming it wasn't really in the forefront of my mind-it was like I didn't even care...but the day of the show whilst my normal routine of baking cookies and driving with my friend to the venue that anxious, excited feeling came back. This show was exactly what I needed to help pick my spirit back up.

Highlights:
I bought reserved non-dining seating and boy was it ever perfect! During the first set my friend and I were right in front of Alex and during the 2nd set we were joined with our other friend at a table right in front of Vienna. I finally got to really see how Vienna's fingers move across the piano. I really wish I could've been able to take pictures because the photographer in me had all these ideas for artistic shots...but I resorted to sketching which lead to these:

Anime style VT and AW
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 2475_n.jpg

VT at the piano
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 2356_n.jpg

Next are my thoughts on certain songs. These are not in order of when they were performed.

"My Medea~Gangsta Version~"
As Noreen and I have affectionately dubbed the new rendition because Alex's korg bass lines inspire images of subwoofers and cars with hydraulics... XD

"Are You Listening"
This song is raw, pure, simple and beautiful, and draws forth so much emotion. I always enjoy the audience participation songs. I can't help singing harmonies to the chorus.

"The Breaking Light"
I was moved when they announced they'd be recording the song to soon put up for digital download and using the proceeds for earthquake relief. I can't put my finger on why the opening melody line sounded very familiar. It was rather intriguing to watch VT and AW play a partially filled wine glass and a wine bottle. I won't lie-I wanted to try playing a wine glass when I got home but I was only going to be getting 2 hours of sleep that night so chose to catch my Z's.

"Blue Caravan"
Alex pretended he was Harry Potter during the practiced audience participation and used his bow to conduct the key jingling wave.

At one point they were trying to figure out what song to play next and Vienna joked that she could do a Medley of songs. Some of us tried to convince her and she sang part of one song (I can't remember which) leading into "the last snowfall" a cappella.

"Help is on the way"
One of the songs in my rotation of things to sing and or listen to when I'm having a really bad day. I always get emotional when I hear this because I miss The Animators so much, but I'm content to have finally seen all the members since the disband happily and successfully working on each of their endeavors as I knew they all would be. :) Anyhow...I enjoyed this simplistic rendition with only piano and vocals.

And last but not least, it's always a joy to see my friends before and after the shows to share conversation and cookies and adventure to new or traditional eats. I love you guys so much!!!

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:30 am

Awesome drawings, Shana. And thanks for the setlists, Erik.

Wish I could have made these shows!

scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:48 pm

Just posted a post-show vlog with Vienna and Alex. I'll add the in-video link to "The Breaking Light" when I can; YouTube isn't cooperating at the moment.

Return to “Performances”