World Cafe Live, March 5

Relate your impressions from a show, post setlists, etc ...

Moderators: Ginny, The_Man_in_Blue

World Cafe Live, March 5

Postby NJ Fan Chris » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:03 am

I received a promotional email from World Cafe Live listing all the upcoming concerts. For Vienna & Alex's March 5 show, the listing said "sold out". Nice job, everyone!
"From Bottom Line to Highline"
NJ Fan Chris
Warm Stranger

Postby cmooreNC » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:34 pm

I'm sure that's a favorite venue for many fans, since the live DVD was filmed there. That certainly WAS an incredible evening. Well worth the trip we made to experience it, back in 2007. :)
Chris
cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby NJ Fan Chris » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:59 am

Hmm, I think this is Vienna's first time back to WCL since the DVD taping. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I think prior to the taping she performed 3x there with Duncan Shiek, Marillion and East Village Opera Company.
NJ Fan Chris
Warm Stranger

Postby Fred » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:30 pm

NJ Fan Chris wrote:Hmm, I think this is Vienna's first time back to WCL since the DVD taping. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I think prior to the taping she performed 3x there with Duncan Shiek, Marillion and East Village Opera Company.

Well, enjoy it! If you get a chance to see Vienna & Alex, say Hi! for me, ok? (Sorry to miss thanking them in NYC, but trains are trains.)
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.
Fred
Tengster

Postby NJ Fan Chris » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:55 am

From the City of Brotherly Love:

1- Augustine
2- Antebellum
3- Blue Caravan
4- Stray Italian Greyhound
5- No Gringo
6- Alex new song, no title given: possible title "Back to Home". This is the song that CMoore menioned with the "Yeah, Yeah , Yeah , Yeah" chorus
7- Unititled new song, likely title "Breaking Light" or "Brother You Will Return"
8- My Medea
9- Recessional
10-The Tower
11-Radio
12-Harbor
13-Grandmother Song
--------
14- Idioteque

Yeah Vienna had a pretty solid template for this week's shows. The difference from the Brooklyn show was the absence of I Don't Feel So Well and Reservoirs. And Alex's The Fighter was replaced with another new composition from Alex (Yeah Yeah Yeah chorus). I really liked the melody of the Yeah Yeah Yeah song while I'm totally hooked on Brother You Will Return. Since I'm spending the night in Philly and took a cab to the show, I decided to leave my keys behind. I let out a big "D'oh!" during the first few notes of Blue Caravan, realizing they were indeed necessary.

I didn't hang around after the show, Fred. Huge crowd and a loooooong meet n greet line. In fact I'm sure Vienna and Alex are still meeting n greeting as I type this at 11 pm. One of these shows I'll chat with Vienna and Alex. Anyway, it was a fine night all around and I've got to give a shout out to the World Cafe Live staff. Tonight was the best service/food since I've been going there. :D
NJ Fan Chris
Warm Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:27 am

NJ Fan Chris wrote:Yeah Vienna had a pretty solid template for this week's shows. The difference from the Brooklyn show was the absence of I Don't Feel So Well and Reservoirs. And Alex's The Fighter was replaced with another new composition from Alex (Yeah Yeah Yeah chorus). I really liked the melody of the Yeah Yeah Yeah song while I'm totally hooked on Brother You Will Return.

Thanks for the setlist! I love the melody in the "yeah" song too, which I think Michele wrote that it's called "Can You Hear This Sound." Alex wrote it with Nate Campany. Looks like they'll keep on playing the new song. This is good news!
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"
aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby micro » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:37 am

a few notes on the performance:

- Alex mentioned that he will have a new cd in the fall
- the new V&A song was played with 2 wine glasses, a wine bottle, and the waterphone with an assist from the looper
- My Medea was a new remix, a different version than last year's Highline Ballroom performance
- Idioteque w/ Matt Duke on guitar was even more epic than usual
micro
Hot Stranger

Postby cmooreNC » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:34 pm

micro wrote:a few notes on the performance:

- Idioteque w/ Matt Duke on guitar was even more epic than usual

Very cool that they've grown comfortable enough with Matt during this week that they're now including him on a song. Nice touch.

At the Durham show I was a bit blown away by his "double personality." He came out on stage with a rather meek "Hi." Then took his glasses off, clearly couldn't see much of anything, and began playing - with a change like he was a completely different person. Powerful voice, great guitar work (acoustic), but some rather strange facial contortions. The man can play and sing, no doubt, so I'm glad they found a way to include him in their main set. But he seemed totally different when he was talking vs. playing.
Chris
cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:29 pm

NJ Fan Chris wrote:...I'm totally hooked on Brother You Will Return...

I completely agree. As far as I'm concerned, she's got a song for that 2013 CD. Now she just needs to say what the title is; it's amusing that she's played it 3 or 4 times without saying. BTW tangentially related lastnite I saw old-line folkie John McCutcheon (possibly the most awesome multi-instrumentalist I've ever seen) do the wine glass thing on a much larger scale using an instrument called the Tibetan singing bowl.

Thanks for the show report!
Fred
Tengster

Postby Michele » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:11 pm

aaparallel wrote:I love the melody in the "yeah" song too, which I think Michele wrote that it's called "Can You Hear This Sound."

The song doesn't have a title yet.

Thanks for the reviews for the shows this week, everyone!
Michele
Strange

Postby micro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:12 am

and
- on No Gringo Alex now has the audience "keys shaking" participation occurring in waves from left to right and back (sorcerer's apprentice anyone?)
- there was an intro with a song, that seems familiar but don't know the name of, before segueing into Idioteque (maybe someone else knows)

someone, dreamingpepper?, took some nice pics

there won't be any videos since the venue told us that Vienna apparently said no recording this time (maybe because of the new songs?)
micro
Hot Stranger

Postby cmooreNC » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:42 pm

For the new "wine glass" song, somehow "The Dawning" (or something along the lines of some sort of "daylight breaking") popped into my head while it was actually being performed in Durham. I don't know if that's a reasonable potential title or not, but that's what I heard floating out of my subconcious somewhere. :D

I wonder at what point a song usually tells the writer "this is what you should call me"? Seeing as how this one is only a few weeks old now, that elusive title may still be hiding somewhere for awhile yet.
Chris
cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby rtu » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:27 pm

Gosh, Vienna seems to be performing a lot for a full time grad student. I wish I could have made some of them, especially at World Cafe Live. I love the venue. But I did get to see her last summer in NYC. Very unexpected. Hope she's performing again when I'm back in the states for a month this summer.
rtu
Warm Stranger

Postby Fred » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:07 pm

rtu wrote:Gosh, Vienna seems to be performing a lot for a full time grad student. I wish I could have made some of them, especially at World Cafe Live. I love the venue. But I did get to see her last summer in NYC. Very unexpected. Hope she's performing again when I'm back in the states for a month this summer.

Vienna mentioned during her recent NYC show that she has accepted an internship from Facebook (presumably back home in the Bay Area) this summer, and I see that her June and July performance schedule is blank; she goes to Europe in August. That said, it's never surprising for her to make an impromptu visit to Rockwood Music Hall when she passes through NYC on her way somewhere else.
Fred
Tengster

Postby aaparallel » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:26 pm

Fred wrote:Vienna mentioned during her recent NYC show that she has accepted an internship from Facebook

That almost sounds like a joke. :lol: So cool though! I'd like to intern at Facebook..
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"
aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Next

Return to Performances