Tarrytown, NY, Dec. 2, 2009

Relate your impressions from a show, post setlists, etc ...

Moderator: Ginny

NJ Fan Chris
Warm Stranger

Tarrytown, NY, Dec. 2, 2009

Postby NJ Fan Chris » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:01 am

Since I live much closer to the Delaware River than the Hudson River, I skipped out on OTR just so I can be home before midnight.

Interesting show tonight. Vienna and Alex sounded great. The music hall, unfortunately was half-full. The sections to the right and left of the stage were largely empty and I assume only the first row of the balcony was taken. Heavy rains certainly hurt chances of a big walkup.

Some new takes on the older songs, and they were using their loop machines more often than not. Alex played guitar on Homecoming, and it appeared he was going to during Tower as well -- he picked it up in the midst of the song, looked at it, but then then he put it back down.

I was curious about City Hall tonight, what with the NY State Senate voting against legalizing gay marriage today. Wonder if Vienna thought about playing it if only to emphasize it's a temporary setback, or maybe she was unaware of what happened earlier in the day.

Oh and a gorgeous rendition of Randy Newman's "I Think It's Going to Rain Today." 8)

Here's the list:
1- Whatever You Want
2- Blue Caravan
3- Gravity
4- Antebellum
5- Homecoming
6- In The Creases
7- The Last Snowfall
8- Stray Italian Greyhound
9- No Gringo
10- Augustine
11- The Tower
12- Harbor
13- Grandmother Song
14- I Think Its Going To Rain Today
"From Bottom Line to Highline"

terraphim86
Warm Stranger

Re: Tarrytown, NY, Dec. 2, 2009

Postby terraphim86 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:14 pm

NJ Fan Chris wrote:14- I Think Its Going To Rain Today

Oh my goodness, please tell me you have a recording. I absolutely love that song. Norah Jones' version made me cry. I can't imagine Vienna singing it.

Linus
Cool Stranger

Postby Linus » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:07 pm

There are 3 recordings of that song at least, if not more. XD

type79
Howdy, Stranger!

Tarrytown

Postby type79 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:21 pm

I attended this show to see OTR. I have several VT CD's and saw her recently at the Iron Horse in Northampton.

I basically like Vienna and think she is very talented but I would prefer to see her perform alone.

I find the inclusion of percussion as well as her particular use of electronics a distraction.

Scot
Tengster

Re: Tarrytown, NY, Dec. 2, 2009

Postby Scot » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:44 pm

terraphim86 wrote:
NJ Fan Chris wrote:14- I Think Its Going To Rain Today

Oh my goodness, please tell me you have a recording. I absolutely love that song. Norah Jones' version made me cry. I can't imagine Vienna singing it.

It was indeed beautifully done and well-recorded, as Linus says! :)

OTR was great, as well. I had not seen them before, but really enjoyed the show. The theater was really neat, although the sound was a bit muddy, and the seats not all filled, but those that were there seemed to have a really good time!

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

btphoto
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby btphoto » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:46 pm

"....I find the inclusion of percussion as well as her particular use of electronics a distraction....."

Wow...I really hafta disagree...and was crazy impressed with what Alex was doing up there with nothing more than a snare drum and a few simple percussion instruments and thought it added to the entire performance. I have nothing against the whole 'singer at a piano' genre, but I loved their interaction and what he brought to the songs.

BT

Damn Ugly Photography

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:50 pm

btphoto wrote:"....I find the inclusion of percussion as well as her particular use of electronics a distraction....."

Wow...I really hafta disagree...and was crazy impressed with what Alex was doing up there with nothing more than a snare drum and a few simple percussion instruments and thought it added to the entire performance. I have nothing against the whole 'singer at a piano' genre, but I loved their interaction and what he brought to the songs.

BT

Damn Ugly Photography

That's certainly the majority view around here. Taking nothing away from Alex, I've never had the privilege of hearing 'Vienna unplugged' solo, and I wouldn't mind having that experience sometime, just to see what it's like. btw great to see new folks posting--new fans?

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:11 am

There is a kind of intimacy (especially if combined with amazing venues like the Bazaar Cafe) that can only be gotten at a solo show.

That said, I think as far as favorite versions of songs go, most of mine are from the VT quartet shows. I miss Dina and Marika!

(Though to be clear, Ward is pretty damn awesome too.)

btphoto
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby btphoto » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:41 pm

".....great to see new folks posting--new fans?"

Yup...I went to see Over The Rhine and left a Vienna Teng fan. Bought all her albums and even put her up on my Song of the Day...check it out HERE!

Brad Trent

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:15 pm

Welcome to the forum, BT!

I also agree that it's great we have the solo, duo, trio, quartet, ... shows. Probably my favorite versions of each song are distributed among the different configurations....

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Digital
Hot Stranger

Postby Digital » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:25 am

Welcome BT! Glad you could join us.

I have to agree with Scot: I have favorites from all the various incarnations that Vienna has performed. I still enjoy listening to the solo shows, and really enjoyed the addition of the girls and Alex as it went along. I'm also very particular to the Alan Lin period, as I simply love his technique and tone.

The latest shows - with just Alex and Vienna - have been amazing in their own right. And that Ward guy when he's with them. I know he's not touring with them now, but he told me he expects to be back in the Spring.

Return to “Performances”