2009.11.18 - St. Louis, MO - Off Broadway

Relate your impressions from a show, post setlists, etc ...

Moderator: Ginny

Isiolith
Cool Stranger

2009.11.18 - St. Louis, MO - Off Broadway

Postby Isiolith » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:00 am

01. Whatever You Want
02. Blue Caravan
03. Gravity (Looper Version)
04. Antebellum
05. In Another Life
06. Kansas
07. Stray Italian Greyhound
08. No Gringo
09. In the Creases (Alex)
10. 1br/1ba ("Dirtied Up")
11. Augustine
12. The Tower (by request)
13. Harbor
14. Grandmother Song

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:20 pm

Thanks for the setlist, Isiolith!

How was the show?

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:32 pm

I admit, I love it when she dirties up "1br/1ba." I hope someone recorded it!
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

Isiolith
Cool Stranger

Postby Isiolith » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:23 am

@scot: Aside from some technical difficulties with Alex's wooden-box-thingamajig (the real name of which I do not know), the show was wonderful. For an early show under a time restraint, Vienna and Alex crammed a whole lot of music in and managed time after the show for the usual meet n' greet type things.

My only complaint--and it's not necessarily a complaint because no matter what she sings, Vienna's made of awesome-sauce--is that it seems like the set list is starting to repeat itself. You've got your usual suspects ("Gravity" [which I think is Vienna's "signature song"], "Harbor", "Whatever You Want") and the occasional surprise ("The Tower" at this show, for example) -- I guess what I'd like to say is that a few more less-often-played songs might make the shows a bit "fresher"?

tomcos
Cool Stranger

Postby tomcos » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:46 am

The magic wooden box is Alex's cajon -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajon

I either saw a video or read a review (age is unfortunately wreaking havoc on my memory) where he sat on a pillow on top of the cajon during a performance. The pillow, I believe, came from Vienna's parents' house.

But perhaps there should be a concert rider providing for "a pillow for the artist's cajon." It sounds dirty, but it isn't.

TC

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:23 am

Isiolith wrote:I guess what I'd like to say is that a few more less-often-played songs might make the shows a bit "fresher"?

I think this is more apparent if you've seen a bunch of shows this year. Well, for me anyway. For the second Saratoga show, having Mission Street, I Don't Feel So Well, and Nothing Without You thrown in made a big difference. The volume being louder compared to the early show also helped, so liking a set depends on many different factors.

For a show with limited time, getting those grab bag songs isn't as likely, and since she didn't play St. Louis last leg, of course for most others there isn't a "heard that already" factor. I'm glad to hear the performance was good - for me that'll transcend the set list too.

I'm sick of the same three songs opening every show! :lol:

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:57 am

tomcos wrote:The pillow, I believe, came from Vienna's parents' house.

It was a video :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwHWqZmAB00
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

Isiolith
Cool Stranger

Postby Isiolith » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:31 am

Michele wrote:I think this is more apparent if you've seen a bunch of shows this year.

I think this might have something to do with it. I've seen three shows this year (which compared to some fans isn't a whole lot ;-)), and yes, the same three songs have opened every single show (not that I'm complaining re: "Blue Caravan" because I love the atmosphere that's created--maybe even moreso than the album verison!). In fact, the first six songs here are the exact same as the first six songs from the April 17th show at Schubas (Schuba's? Shubas'?)...so there's definitely that "heard it already" factor.

Michele wrote:and since she didn't play St. Louis last leg

I believe she said it's been something like five years since she played St. Louis (or that particular venue in St. Louis, I'm not sure which) -- how true this is I don't know seeing as how I only became a fan around the release of DTTN. I mentioned to Vienna after the show that every time I've been to see her, it's been a bit of a drive -- but that she's worth every mile put on my car. :-) So whether she plays St. Louis, Chicago, or Indy--or hell, somewhere I have to fly to, it'll be worth it because of the artistry of her performance.

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:23 pm

Isiolith wrote: I mentioned to Vienna after the show that every time I've been to see her, it's been a bit of a drive -- but that she's worth every mile put on my car. :-) So whether she plays St. Louis, Chicago, or Indy--or hell, somewhere I have to fly to, it'll be worth it because of the artistry of her performance.

Speaking of miles put on a car to see a Vienna performance, or two, or fifty.... anyone heard from Paul ("Man in Blue") lately? Is he still out there catching Vienna shows and rackin' up the digits on his odometer?!
Chris

Linus
Cool Stranger

Postby Linus » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:17 pm

-is that it seems like the set list is starting to repeat itself.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Early in the year i thought they didn´t change the setlist that much, because it was their first time touring with Ward.

I wish they would play Enough To Go By more often, it´s such a great opening song.

Another thing is the differing length of the setlists, there was a show in Germany with 22 songs and a show in the US with only 11(not sure which one), but i guess there are many factors like who/if someone is opening, how much time the venue gives them etc

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:27 pm

Linus wrote:Another thing is the differing length of the setlists, there was a show in Germany with 22 songs and a show in the US with only 11(not sure which one), but i guess there are many factors like who/if someone is opening, how much time the venue gives them etc

I don't know which show had 11 songs, but the one I saw at Le Poisson Rouge in April had 13. In that case there were 2 fairly long opening acts (Ben Sollee, The Paper Raincoat) starting at 7:00 or 7:30, and the venue switched over to DJ/dancing at 10:00. Vienna didn't get onstage until about 9:00 (a little after, iirc), so there was no time for a long set.

The_Man_in_Blue
Getting Stranger

Postby The_Man_in_Blue » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:55 am

cmooreNC wrote:Speaking of miles put on a car to see a Vienna performance, or two, or fifty.... anyone heard from Paul ("Man in Blue") lately? Is he still out there catching Vienna shows and rackin' up the digits on his odometer?!

I'm slowing down a bit. Still made it to 37 shows since early April, spread out from Maine to Alaska. Texas to Minnesota. I'm packed and ready to head East for the next 8 shows, weather permitting.

Paul

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:10 pm

The_Man_in_Blue wrote:
cmooreNC wrote:Speaking of miles put on a car to see a Vienna performance, or two, or fifty.... anyone heard from Paul ("Man in Blue") lately? Is he still out there catching Vienna shows and rackin' up the digits on his odometer?!

I'm slowing down a bit. Still made it to 37 shows since early April, spread out from Maine to Alaska. Texas to Minnesota. I'm packed and ready to head East for the next 8 shows, weather permitting.

Paul

Glad to know you're still out there on the road..... be safe!
Chris

Return to “Performances”