Vienna wows NYC at Mo Pitkins - Thursday 9/6/07

Relate your impressions from a show, post setlists, etc ...

Moderator: Ginny

sod2002
Warm Stranger

Vienna wows NYC at Mo Pitkins - Thursday 9/6/07

Postby sod2002 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:58 am

Once again Vienna is magical in NYC !

I was so fortunate to get in (last minute wait list and really sweating it out waiting and hoping) after being a complete fool and failing to purchase online in advance...very, very , very lucky indeed!

Vienna was once again amazing in her new home NYC and was greeted by a mix of long time fans and many new converts this evening. She opened with "that's where I'll be" and closed with (encore) "hope on fire" pumped up a bit in anticipation of Red Rocks show inclusuion. In between...she featured (to name a few) My Medea, Passage (extraordinary rendering), Recessional (possibly my all time favorite), Whatever you want, Nothing without you (another of my all time favorites and incredibly performed), Gravity, Shasta, I BR 1 BA, City Hall, and Harbor as the regular set finale.

The New York crowd in this very intimate venue hung onto every note and word, spellbound (as it should be). Vienna was in absoultely crystaline voice and this was particularly evident in the a capella version of Passage...a pin drop could have been heard! She really seems to be enjoying the NY experience musically and personally. For very selfish reasons I an delighted that she is now a regular part of the NY music scene. We are most fortunate to have her though I am sure she must really miss the wonderful city of San Francisco. I joked with her after the show that I believe half on NYC residents would love to be in San Fran while the reverse may be true of SF residents also!

Significant kudos as well to the fabulous and multi-talented Alex Wong for usual extraordinary accompaniment and supporting vocals. Amazingly big sound for just 2 people on stage! Aside from the musicianhip, Alex and Vienna are always a pleasure to watch together and the excellent rapport they share.

What an incredible delight and priviledge to see Vienna in this relatively tiny venue and her as usual room filling presence. Having seen many shows now, this ranks up there amoung the finest. I am so incredibly fortunate to have gotten in after fumbling so badly in the advance ticket department. FYI NYC dwellers or vistors...she returns to Mo Pitkins on 10 /3 ...see you there!!!

Once again Viennna...thank you for the gift you bring each time we see you! You are beyond words!!!

Steve O
:D
Last edited by sod2002 on Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:24 pm

Been wondering where you've been, Steve. Thanks for checking in and reporting on the show!

I think Vienna's sold out her NYC shows all year, so always snap up those tix...the second show is on sale now finally.

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:49 am

Wow- thanks for the report, Steve.

Any setlists or pictures to share with us (or my show archive. :>)?

Yeah, it's amazing the audience attention Vienna commands in her shows -
great stage presence and amazing music are an awesome combination.
I've never seen an audience as spellbound as at a Vienna Teng concert!
s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

chris_jones
Cool Stranger

Postby chris_jones » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:18 pm

This set is available [almost] in its entirety here:

http://www.archive.org/details/vt2007-09-06

24-bit / 96 kHz fileset or DVD-Audio disc available upon request.

Chris
---
Christopher Jones
jones.chris@gmail.com

bofis
Warm Stranger

Postby bofis » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:57 pm

Awesome, I can't wait for her second show there in October. I went by Mo Pitkin's last night to get tickets, but seemingly they only sell them online and at the door if it's not sold out.

I read somewhere that the owners were trying to sell the whole building, condo upstairs, restaurant, and performance space and all. That would be most sad if it changed and no longer was a great place to see Vienna on the LES that happens to be located nice and close to a stop on my subway :-)

Return to “Performances”