Tonight's DVD-recording show

Relate your impressions from a show, post setlists, etc ...

Moderator: Ginny

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:18 am

The followup pic is also really awesome:

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:03 pm

tanthalas wrote:The followup pic is also really awesome:

Yup!

And a correction: that was Vienna signing Ted's MP3 player, not beeper, right?

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Dreaming Pepper
Getting Stranger

Postby Dreaming Pepper » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:57 am

Yes my beeper!

I mean..crap the secret is out!!

nah j/k it was my MP3 player. ^_^
Whoa.. I remembered my sign-in information!

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:52 am

All right, I finally have some time to gather my thoughts about this weekend.

First off, I just added the Bowery and WCL shows to my show archive - with pictures that I stole from those posted here.;> (Please let me know if you dont' want them there.) And please feel encouraged to add your reviews or more pictures.

I was originally trying to coordinate this trip out east with a business trip to Texas. Turns out, there was too much going at work for the business part, but I figured I should be able to get away for the weekend (luckily, the big project I was worried about went off pretty well, so I think I got away with it - which bodes well for next time.;>). Unfortunately, my wife was working at the summit until Monday morning, so couldn't come and a few other Vienna fan friends bailed out, so my mom, who works for the airline joined me. At 66, she even joined me to the trek to the Bowery and the loud Dave Alvin concert. I think both bands have a new fan now, btw. Mom thought Vienna was a great musician with an incredible control of the audience and self-confidence. She's a pretty good judge of character and I'd say she's spot on with this one, too.

It worked out that Dave Alvin (I also run a his web site, davealvin.com/dave) was playing at the WCL on Friday- the 2nd gig on his new tour. I also got to meet a long time internet pal for the first time. He runs another Blasters/Dave Alvin web site and we've corresponded for years, but never met. It was great to meet him and as Dave told both of us, I feel like I've known him all my life now. We got a great table right above the soundboard and Paul, obviously being in the area, joined us for the evening as well, even buying a few Dave CDs at the end of the show as is his custom. I believe this was Paul's first Dave show and although Dave claims to play folk music, his type (as he will be the first to admit) is a little
louder than Vienna's. I have a secret dream of hearing a duet by Dave and Vienna on Daughter. Dave played a pretty loud set that night, so Paul's no longer sure I have all my marbles straight, I think. If you thought the service at the WCL was slow, you should have been there this night - not only where they incredibly slow, but they didn't even give us any utensils! A very friendly staff, though, as I'm sure most of you noticed on Sunday.

Saturday- we took the Amtrak (expensive, but a nice way to go) to NYC for the Bowery show. We just sort of wandered around most of the day and found a good place for some English pub grub before the show. Ane Brun, the first act, was quite good, although she seemed a little shy of the audience. I did enjoy her line thought that she could "hear the audience listening". I often feel this way at Vienna's show, too.

Vienna's set was too short, but had a number of great moments for me. This was my first Green Island a capella and Pontchtrain live. Both were spectacular and very different than on recordings. Part of the audience listening, I think. Pontchtrain live, in particular, is an entirely different (and amazing) beast. I also really enjoyed seeing Alex Wong for the first time with all his sound effects including the Powerhouse of Sound magical box. Of course, he continued this on Sunday as well.

Met several forum members here (Paul, Michele, Calvin, the latter for the
first time) at the Bowery. Paul even reserved us a table despite my cell phone's battery dieing before I could contact him when we made it to town. My mom apparently ran into Vienna after the set on her way downstairs. She introduced herself as Scot's Mom. Vienna then asked if she was from Hawaii, too. Nope- just me. She came from CA, only. :>

The big event- wow- what can I say that hasn't already been said? It was a concert for all concerts. Simply incredible - such a great set of musicians, such great music, a great venue, and an equally great audience. The whole combination was magical.

As some of you know, I was a big Alan fan and this was my first time seeing Dina live. Wow - Dina rocks. She's great and a great fit to the band. I didn't have a chance to talk to her, but I'm sure she's equally nice personally and she's a great addition to the group -Vienna chose wisely!

It was also such a great pleasure to meet and be around so many serious Vienna fans - of all ages and backgrounds (and level of stalkerness:>). We all shared something in common: Vienna, and whatever it is that draws us to her and her music. The gathering part of the event helped make the whole thing even that much more special!

It was a pleasure and a privilege to meet all of you, and to be a part of this momentous occasion. It was a long trip for me (getting delayed in PHL and overnighting in HNL on the return didn't help), but worth every second of it. (Of course, I've also been known to drive from NM to NY for a gathering of internet car friends, so this trip isn't entirely out of character.) The last time I saw Vienna, though, was last December in Berkeley, so I was certainly about due and I didn't think she would make it out here any time real soon. (Although I did bring her a local box of chocolates as potential enticement. Problem is, I chose a new variety from this company and I don't know if it's any good or not - chocolate, macadamias and corn chips, believe it or not. I don't think there was any Diet Coke in it, though, either.)

Did you make it this far? Wow- thanks! I'm not even sure I proofread past this point. :>

warmstrangers.com- come visit and leave a note.

Cheers,

scot

ps - just remembered- Feather Moon (YEA, although no 11 years) and the new intro. to UL#1 - awesome, and another place where you see how well Dina fits in to the trio.
Last edited by Scot on Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:32 am

Hey Scot, I read the whole thing! I'm really glad you managed to make it to the show. Great compilation of pix on the site. I think we can use this one to figure out who everyone is? I don't know who the people on the sides are.
Last edited by Michele on Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dreaming Pepper
Getting Stranger

Postby Dreaming Pepper » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:36 am

I am hiding behind Vienna...
Whoa.. I remembered my sign-in information!

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:41 am

Dreaming Pepper wrote:I am hiding behind Vienna...

I switched to the other pic, so no longer :lol: The other pic has Amy in it, so it wins out...

sod2002
Warm Stranger

Postby sod2002 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:09 am

Scot,

Great recap of a great day and night. I love the group shot of The Forum and Vienna...a nice memento. If you would like I will post my review from earlier in the forum on your page?

I will look over all of your work tomorrow. Nice meeting you and thanks for the goodies on your site.

Steve O

shawn
Hot Stranger

Postby shawn » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:03 pm

Michele wrote:I think we can use this one to figure out who everyone is? I don't know who the people on the sides are.

I'm the guy in the black shirt, just to the left of Vienna and in front of Paul. (Sorry Paul, if I had known you were back there I'd have moved aside!)

My wife Judy is in front of me, in the blue sweater. (Michele, you're the one in red just to the left of Judy, right?)

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:17 am

Nice photo, Michele. Maybe we could have one of those drawings that has each person outlined, with a number in the middle of the outline, and a sidebar chart that matches the number to the person ... :)

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:39 am

sod2002 wrote:If you would like I will post my review from earlier in the forum on your page?

Hi Steve,

In theory, I could cut and paste it in myself, but it's easier (for me, of course, right? :>) if you can do it yourself. If not, I'll slowly comb through this thread and borrow and steal....

s

Luminosity
Warm Stranger

Postby Luminosity » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:39 pm

Oh yes ... because now I'm curious as to what you all look like. :P

sod2002
Warm Stranger

Postby sod2002 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:45 pm

Scot,

I just uploaded my review from the forum to your website. Love the pictures there! Hope all else is good with you.

Steve O

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:39 am

sod2002 wrote:Scot,

I just uploaded my review from the forum to your website. Love the pictures there!

Muchas gracias! I just sent you email. Things that you post to the site
don't actually appear there until I have a chance to see them and approve -keeps me free of spam, pr0n, etc. Thanks for the upload- it's live now! :>

scot

Return to “Performances”