Paramount Theatre, Oakland CA

Relate your impressions from a show, post setlists, etc ...

Moderator: Ginny

maisie
Cool Stranger

Paramount Theatre, Oakland CA

Postby maisie » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:32 am

I am so happy I made it to this show! I was curious to hear Madeleine Peyroux, and also couldn't pass up the increasingly rare chance to catch Vienna back at home. I got there quite a bit early, and while waiting for the show to start I spent a good amount of time looking all around the amazing details and design on the walls, ceiling and all around the Paramount Theatre, which is apparently a National Historic Landmark. I'd never been there before, despite being in the Bay Area for 30 years. Looking forward to finding some other shows there to bring me back.

Vienna got to play a nice sampling of songs from all three cds. I didn't think about posting till afterward so perhaps wasn't so careful to remember the setlist as I could have been. The ordering of the middle may be mixed up, but included tonight were:

Whatever You Want
Blue Caravan
Gravity
Unwritten Letter #1
Now Three
Passage
Green Island Serenade
City Hall
Harbor

There were some chuckles after the opening phrase of Passage - I guess "I died in a car crash" does seem like an odd/funny line to begin a song with for those unfamiliar with the piece. But the audience quieted down quickly when they heard where the song was going. I think the woman sitting next to me had her hand at her mouth for much of it. The crowd enjoyed City Hall a lot, with cheers, whoops, and whistles coming from all around after. All in all very well received by an audience larger than all the other audiences at the numerous VT shows I've been to combined.

A huge line formed at intermission to buy cds and get her autograph. Silly me, I wasn't expecting to be able to catch her at such a large venue especially since I thought she was "just" opening, so I didn't bring my two cds along...and instead ended up getting two more! :D

When I got back from intermission with my 2 cds in hand, the woman sitting in front of me (who was a big fan of Madeleine and had come up alone from Southern California to Oakland to hear Madeleine) turned and asked me, "are you a friend of hers? She has such an amazing beautiful voice. And such command of the piano! Do you think she will have her cds out at the end too?" Congratulations Vienna, no doubt there were lots of instant new fans tonight!

Liked Madeleine too. Quite different in style from Vienna, with an amazing voice. The funniest moment was when she had her tour manager bring out her huge purse onto the stage so she could rummage through it looking for her misplaced capo (I had to google that), but still couldn't find it. Some girl up in the balcony yelled down "do you really need one? I have one." Why she carries one around with her....beats me...but she ended up coming down and bringing it up to the front of the stage. It was so random that part of me wonders if it must have all been staged. :)

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:42 am

I'll second everything Maisie says. The capacity of the Paramount is 3040 seats. I'm guessing the crowd was about 2/3 of capacity, maybe a bit more. Still guessing, but I think most of the two-thousand plus people in the audience were Madeleine's fans, and knew little or nothing about Vienna when they arrived.

Vienna performed solo this time. She walked on stage with no introduction, sat at the piano, began singing ... and within moments, had the audience in the palm of her hand. Between songs, I heard murmers of "Wow" and "My God" running through the theater. Offhand, I can't think of too many contemporary artists who can hold two thousand people absolutely spellbound with nothing more than a piano and a microphone.

Near the end of the set, Vienna told the crowd she would be autographing CDs in the lobby. When the lights came up, I heard a woman behind me gush, "I have GOT to get her CDs! She has the most incredible voice, and those songs, and the way she plays piano ..." and off she went to the lobby, along with almost everyone else. God help anyone who got between the crowd and the autograph table. :wink:

This was my first time hearing Madeleine, and I liked her a lot. She has a Billie Holliday-like voice, and a fine sense of phrasing. The guys in her band - on piano, upright bass, drums, and flugelhorn - are first-rate jazz musicians. I'm willing to bet they would have a swell old time sitting in on "Boy At The Piano."

Maisie's also right about the Paramount Theatre. It's a great place, a classic 1930's Art Deco movie palace. And it's one of many cool places in Oakland. My adoptive hometown sometimes suffers a bit in comparison to its glamorous sister city across the Bay. But it has wonderful downtown architecture, and some of the most beautiful neighborhoods I've ever seen. (Especially mine. :) )

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:29 am

Thanks for the reports! Sounds like a lot of fun- watching Vienna make
a lot of new fans, and of course, hearing some great music as well!

scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:29 am

The posted setlist order is correct.

The capo thing wasn't staged :lol: It was cool to hear Vienna and Madeleine praise each other so highly.

My brain is mush, and I can't come up with anything else to add...Vienna played wonderfully! Despite the tour length, her voice is holding up well. She got lots of love from the crowd about the particular day of the year...

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:43 am

I presume you made a recording Michele?
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:49 am

Michele,

Ha! I just noticed your new location. That's great! :>

(And day of the year... Oops, did we forget her birthday over here on the forum again?)

s

Return to “Performances”