Power Center, Ann Arbor, MI

Cute café? Bad bar? ... Cute barista!

Moderator: Ginny

Fred
Tengster

Power Center, Ann Arbor, MI

Postby Fred » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:01 am

I promised to say a few words about the venue of Vienna's recent Ann Arbor show. Clearly she's too big a deal in AA to be playing The Ark, unless for a quick fill in without advance publicity, like she used to play Rockwood in NYC. She needed someplace bigger. Power Center is a big concert hall on the U-M campus that in the case of her show was booked through The Ark, but apparently is largely used for university programs. Although really big, it's smaller than the older Hill Auditorium, which was around when I was an undergrad nearby.

Power Center is a modern performing arts center that seats about 1400 on 2 levels. It was apparently well over half full for Vienna's show, which might make it the largest crowd I've ever seen at one of her shows. The aesthetic is formed concrete-industrial modern inside and out; I think the architect was an IM Pei follower, so that makes sense. There's art on the walls and sculpture in the lobby, which adds something to do while waiting. Everything is properly thought out in terms of sight lines and sound. The balcony is high up and far back, overhanging little. Seating in the balcony and from what I saw in the orchestra has a pronounced rake, so seeing over the person in front of you was no problem at all. The formed concrete construction means no columns, no blocked views. The web site claims no seat is over 80 feet from the front of the stage, but the balcony height and roof height add such a feeling of space that distances are exaggerated in feel. I *felt* a lot more than 80 feet away from Vienna from row 2 of the balcony; granted she was seated possibly as much as 10 feet off the front of the stage. In terms of sonics, amplified sound was impeccable from my position and I will bet from most positions. Power Center is clearly large enough (and has a large enough stage) for a symphony orchestra concert, which makes me wonder what the native acoustics are like, but in an amplified show you can't tell. Bonuses: you are right on the north side of the central campus, perfect location, and there is attached paid parking with indoor access to the theater (cost $5 for the evening).
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:56 am

And thanks for the setlist, Fred!

scot
Last edited by Scot on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:22 pm

Scot wrote:And thanks for the <A>setlist</A>, Fred!

scot

Great to hear from you, Scot! Setlist on your site is here. Meaning to merge & clean up notes from tanthalas and myself from here for a review there, too.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:34 pm

Fred wrote:
Scot wrote:And thanks for the <A>setlist</A>, Fred!

scot

Great to hear from you, Scot! Setlist on your site is here. Meaning to merge & clean up notes from tanthalas and myself from here for a review there, too.

Oops - my like didn't work. Thanks! :)

Yeah, haven't been around for a while. Too much on my plate, but I'm trying to make sure I make time for the good stuff.

I'm actually hatching a plan right now to possibly get another degree starting Fall '12. If Vienna can do it .... !:)

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Return to “Venues”