Something we can do for Vienna

Cute café? Bad bar? ... Cute barista!

Moderator: Ginny

Fred
Tengster

Something we can do for Vienna

Postby Fred » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:50 pm

Any fans who might attend a concert at Landmark on Main Street, Port Washington, New York (Long Island close to the city) ought to suggest Vienna for their next season. They have a wall post on Facebook right now asking for suggestions. It's a very appropriate venue for her.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:03 am

If we can only convince her to play at the Freight and Salvage...

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:27 pm

Fred has the correct angle on this. Artists usually don't "choose" where they get to play. They are booked by promoters, or the venues themselves if the club or hall is "self promoting", who contact their booking agents and agree to pay a contracted fee for the performance.

So as fans, if we want to see someone perform in a certain place, it's best to contact the venue and/or the local promoter. Asking the artist to "please play in XXX at the YYY club (or theatre or whatever)" usually won't assist in making it happen, as it's not something he or she controls.

Sorry if this comes across as a "lecture" on the subject, but I have experience as a concert promoter and just couldn't resist chiming in here.
Chris

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:19 am

Hehe, I know that. :) I mentioned F&S in particular because I think they *would* love to have her play there if she ever had the time/schedule/desire to. :D

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:49 am

cmooreNC wrote:Fred has the correct angle on this. Artists usually don't "choose" where they get to play. They are booked by promoters, or the venues themselves if the club or hall is "self promoting", who contact their booking agents and agree to pay a contracted fee for the performance.

So as fans, if we want to see someone perform in a certain place, it's best to contact the venue and/or the local promoter. Asking the artist to "please play in XXX at the YYY club (or theatre or whatever)" usually won't assist in making it happen, as it's not something he or she controls.

Sorry if this comes across as a "lecture" on the subject, but I have experience as a concert promoter and just couldn't resist chiming in here.

Thanks, Chris. Doubly so because this is a community performing arts center, and, typically for that sort of theater, they assemble thematic series ("folk", "roots rock", etc.) that they sell to subscription customers. I imagine it's good for performers who are still building audiences to play in these subscription series because they get exposed to a lot of "virgin ears". John Platt from WFUV programs a lot of what happens at Landmark, and he's got excellent taste (and plays more eclectic programming than most of the station's DJs, maybe since he's on Sunday). I think that educated, artsy Nassau County might be fertile ground for Vienna's music. Also, Landmark has a history of inviting favorite performers back again. And it's just a nice venue, converted from an old school auditorium. As we say locally, "what's not to like?"

People who would come to this location to hear Vienna should suggest her for Landmark on Main Street's next season by visiting their Facebook page and commenting on the post where they ask for suggestions. (For some reason, I can't list the URL here; it kills my reply. ???)

BTW Chris, as a sometime promoter, have *you* thought about either of the performers I saw last month at Landmark: Justin Townes Earle and Carrie Rodriguez? They were in the roots rock series and that's a pretty fair description (contemporary rockabilly and bluegrass, respectively). It was my first time seeing him and my second time seeing her, and they were both just terrific. Not NY-centric by any means--he's from Nashville and she's from Austin. Their music should travel well, and neither of them is such a big deal (yet) that either would be hard to book, I would think.

Folkfan
Warm Stranger

Venues

Postby Folkfan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:06 am

Chris said:

[quote]So as fans, if we want to see someone perform in a certain place, it's best to contact the venue and/or the local promoter. Asking the artist to "please play in XXX at the YYY club (or theatre or whatever)" usually won't assist in making it happen, as it's not something he or she controls.

I just emailed the Jorgensen Center, on the U. of Connecticut campus..it's a pretty venue and could hold a nice-sized crowd...if everybody picks a venue and checks back with a second email, chances are it'll put Vienna's name on the concert booker's mind, so when they see it, maybe they'll schedule her.
Same deal with requesting/suggesting Vienna appear on TV shows
Folkfan

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:46 pm

Fred wrote:
BTW Chris, as a sometime promoter, have *you* thought about either of the performers I saw last month at Landmark: Justin Townes Earle and Carrie Rodriguez? They were in the roots rock series and that's a pretty fair description (contemporary rockabilly and bluegrass, respectively). It was my first time seeing him and my second time seeing her, and they were both just terrific. Not NY-centric by any means--he's from Nashville and she's from Austin. Their music should travel well, and neither of them is such a big deal (yet) that either would be hard to book, I would think.

Thanks for the suggestions, but when I stated "sometime promoter" I meant once in a rare while, now. Like maybe one every two years. Too much else on my plate at the moment. I gave it my "full time thing" shot a loooong time ago (we're talking 1980's) and it proved to not be my calling as a career, to put it simply. Since I live in Charlotte, NC, there's a lot of competition here and I don't have the capital to throw my hat in the ring up against those who are already "playing the game" in this market. It's a very financially straining business, to say the least.
Chris

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:13 pm

cmooreNC wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, but when I stated "sometime promoter" I meant once in a rare while, now. Like maybe one every two years. Too much else on my plate at the moment. I gave it my "full time thing" shot a loooong time ago (we're talking 1980's) and it proved to not be my calling as a career, to put it simply. Since I live in Charlotte, NC, there's a lot of competition here and I don't have the capital to throw my hat in the ring up against those who are already "playing the game" in this market. It's a very financially straining business, to say the least.

That's ok. It never hurts to ask, and it's another chance to drop names of performers I like where somebody else might stumble upon them, as I do for Vienna elsewhere.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Return to “Venues”