RIP IMAC Huntington

Cute café? Bad bar? ... Cute barista!

Moderator: Ginny

Fred
Tengster

RIP IMAC Huntington

Postby Fred » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:56 pm

Another one she'll never play is the Intermedia Arts Center [IMAC] Theatre in Huntington, Long Island's original nonprofit community theatre built from an old movie house. It folded after 20+ years this past spring season, leaving behind its artistic "offspring" in Port Washington, Patchogue, and Westhampton Beach, among others. Vienna played at the last of these last night.

Kwon2m
Cool Stranger

Postby Kwon2m » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:04 am

There was some even sadder news last weekend. Michael Rothbard, co-founder and executive director of the IMAC Theater, passed away on October 30th. I only knew Michael from the many shows I saw there. Wonderful guy. He always came out on stage before each show to make announcements, talk about upcoming concerts, and then he would introduce the artist. After each show, he was always around in the lobby to chat with people, and was always interested hearing what everyone had to say about that night's concert. I chatted with him on many occasions.

Everyone I know who attended shows at the IMAC felt that it had a wonderfully intimate, home felt atmosphere. It was Michael and his partner Kathie, who gave it that feeling. Without them, it would have been just another building with a bunch of seats and a stage.

Rest in peace Michael Rothbard, and know your life made a difference in the performing arts here on Long Island.

John

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:03 pm

In one of those spooky coincidences, I got an e-mail on the IMAC mailing list last week saying that Michael Rothbard's dog, who was also regularly in attendance at the theater, died within about a week of his owner.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:58 pm

More bad Long Island concert venue news. Friends of the Arts (FOTA), who used to run a good summer outdoor concert series at Planting Fields in Oyster Bay, has quietly gone out of business at the beginning of 2010, another victim of the sour economy. They suspended the concert series last summer but continued their various arts education programs; now they're gone altogether. During the last summer concert series (2008) they had John Hiatt and Aimee Mann, among others, if memory serves.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Return to “Venues”