live show taping policy

Got media?

Moderators: Michele, The_Man_in_Blue

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:58 am

don't know. That's why I'm hoping for an authoritative word....

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:33 am

I briefly talked to Alex tonight about the distro policy. The old quartet and trio shows are fine to leave up. Duo shows can be put up if approved. That's actually no different from what he originally told Greg, but then Vienna changed it and then when I asked her about it, she referred me to Alex. ?? Which is what took so long, as he's been very busy of course. So I'm still confused, but I guess duo+ stuff are all still OK...? Personally, I don't want to ask a billion people to take down duo stuff on YouTube (except for the actual live album taping shows), so I hope this is worked out...

As courtesy, I do think we should treat all the other duo shows as "unreleased material" until the live album comes out. I think this is not a whole lot longer to wait though, since there's only one or two out, and we have to figure out how to get shows approved. By the time that's figured out we'll be pretty close to album release probably, if not past it (d'oh). If I'm wrong, V can let us know.

I forgot to ask if The Paper Raincoat have a policy yet, but after going to three shows in a row and getting a feel for how the shows work, I think they are a lot less likely to approve full shows circulating. I bet they would be OK with Really Good single performances of songs circulating; but that's just my hope and I haven't actually asked yet. Also, they're still planning to release the first album formally, so it would be good for that to be out first since they play nearly the whole thing live.

"In The Creases" is not considered to be a Paper Raincoat song. I'll poke Alex about a way to get recordings to him and approve them.

Clear as mud? :lol: I hope that helps somewhat, though we still have to get approval figured out...as for recording, as far as I know nothing has changed, tape Vienna and The Paper Raincoat as you like. (Please note that soundcheck is closed. I thought this was mentioned upthread, but I don't see it.) If something changes for Vienna getting that live-set-on-USB-right-after-the-show going, I'm sure she'll let us know.
Last edited by Michele on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TurninginRevolution
Howdy, Stranger!

Revised taping policy

Postby TurninginRevolution » Sat May 29, 2010 7:33 pm

Well, that was easy to understand; bless you! Thanks!

I hope my husband and I get to see you in AC this week. He just got a new job, and if he has to work he can't say no, and I can't drive (well, not legally). But hopefully we'll be able to make it. Cheers :)

Heheh, it's been 16 months and I still remembered my username! That's so rare for me.

Michele
Strange

Re: live show taping policy

Postby Michele » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:37 pm

Vienna wrote:2. Don't distribute an original song until it appears on a studio recording, unless I've put it on the OK to distribute list. I know this can be frustrating, but please respect it. I'm shy about having non-studio recordings of a song circulating out there as the only representation of what it sounds like. Once it's been officially released, you're more than welcome to share the live versions.

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to post a gentle reminder of Vienna's distribution policy on unrecorded songs. If the unrecorded songs go around, she might not want to play them at shows anymore, and given how much less often she plays these days, I'm sure nobody wants that to happen. Also, friends of friends may not know the policy, and then it gets shared and posted to sites and so on. Best to wait, and just not worry about it at all.

I've been really thankful to people unaware of the policy taking down their YouTube vids when I ask. I doubt they're here, since everyone here knows the policy, but I did want to express my gratitude for their understanding, and Vienna really appreciates that too :)

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:25 am

Michele wrote:I've been really thankful to people unaware of the policy taking down their YouTube vids when I ask. I doubt they're here, since everyone here knows the policy, but I did want to express my gratitude for their understanding, and Vienna really appreciates that too :)

Yeah, I noticed videos of 2 unreleased songs one day, and I think the next day, they were gone. Awesome.
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:25 pm

Hi all,

I had Flynn ask Vienna about distribution of live versions of the new album sampler songs. She wants us to wait until the album is released. Not much longer to go!

I need to get an updated status on seedlings (their status is currently no uploads), and find out if it's OK to put out the unreleased song for What Maisie Knew, which she played at the Freight.

micro
Hot Stranger

Postby micro » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:06 pm

Just wondering if the audio/video taping policy will be updated for the upcoming tour. Got the impression that Vienna's crew will be audio (and video?) recording the shows (for later release/sale?). Will we still be able to get soundboard feeds?
Need to prep if it will still be ok, haven't done it in a while.

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:49 pm

I asked Vienna, but then of course she ran off to shoot the video...I'll let Aaron know people will be asking.

Digital
Hot Stranger

Postby Digital » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:11 am

Let us know if you find out any new information or insights. It would be nice to know what to expect. Looking forward to seeing Vienna soon!

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:39 pm

Telling Karen to let Aaron know we'll be bugging him ;)

As a reminder, as you guys can see from the pics, you'll still need to run audience mics for shows, since they perform off mic.

danseuse
Cool Stranger

Postby danseuse » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:10 pm

A related question, what is the policy on use of images and photos? For example, can I repost official pictures of Vienna on such as FaceBook, blogs, etc.? Or such as AIMS album cover image? For example, I'd like to make my Facebook cover image as the handwritten lyrics to Level Up but I know that only went out to Kickstarter backers, and even if it were public, would that sort of thing be okay or not okay?

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:47 pm

Board is fine as long as there's another output available. Venue rules still apply, as with any other tour. Please don't bug Aaron until soundcheck is done, he is very very busy :O

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:49 am

danseuse wrote:A related question, what is the policy on use of images and photos? For example, can I repost official pictures of Vienna on such as FaceBook, blogs, etc.? Or such as AIMS album cover image? For example, I'd like to make my Facebook cover image as the handwritten lyrics to Level Up but I know that only went out to Kickstarter backers, and even if it were public, would that sort of thing be okay or not okay?

Promo/publicity pictures and album covers all fall under fair use. Reposting lyrics for Aims falls under the Creative Commons license she used for the album. That said, it's an interesting call for the image of the handwritten Level Up lyrics - it's supposed to be a Kickstarter exclusive. In Ann Arbor, in relation to sharing Aims, she said: "I will make no pretentions about the notion that it can be policed. [...] It's really more about cultivating a relationship between listeners and the music, so they also feel like they have a relationship with me, as an artist and a songwriter."

My own opinion: backers paid for access, they should get to enjoy their exclusives. The reality: it's not gonna happen. :P But hey, it's lovely to see over 500 shares of the Adele cover...

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:25 am

Michele wrote:But hey, it's lovely to see over 500 shares of the Adele cover...

Wait, so we can share those SoundCloud covers? I asked that question on Kickstarter a while ago and kalenabear said Amy said they should be for backers only, but VT never got back to me, so I haven't posted it... been wanting to since it was my request.
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:04 pm

aaparallel wrote:
Michele wrote:But hey, it's lovely to see over 500 shares of the Adele cover...

Wait, so we can share those SoundCloud covers? I asked that question on Kickstarter a while ago and kalenabear said Amy said they should be for backers only, but VT never got back to me, so I haven't posted it... been wanting to since it was my request.

Is this one of those "it is often better to beg forgiveness afterward, than receive permission beforehand" situations? :wink:
Chris

Return to “Recordings, Photos, Videos”