Photos and Video from Bol Park, Palo Alto - August 7, 2007

Got media?

Moderators: Michele, The_Man_in_Blue

Klaorman
Getting Stranger

Photos and Video from Bol Park, Palo Alto - August 7, 2007

Postby Klaorman » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:11 am

I'm surprised no one's posted about this concert yet. Vienna put on a rare stand-up solo show at beautiful Bol Park in Palo Alto with nary a cloud in the sky. This is the first time I've seen her in an outdoor venue. I'm bad at estimating crowds, but I'd say at least 500 people showed up to the free concert. Vienna was in excellent form, though I could barely tell that since the sound was so, well, horrible, at least from where I was sitting close to the right speakers. Restricted highs, peaky midrange, and distortion at higher volumes marred the show, but hey, my camcorder doesn't care about any of that, so it recorded pretty passable sound. Other people might have had better sound in the middle of the audience. Here's a video of Vienna's closing song, Green Island Serenade. I really like this version, with beautiful vocals and piano, plus a new to me instrumental break. Many more videos to come.

Here's the set list:

The Tower
Whatever You Want
Blue Caravan
Shasta
Maya (Glen Phillips cover)
Between
Now Three
Gravity (River Version)
Fire and Rain (James Taylor cover)
Unwritten Letter #1
Hope On Fire
1BR/1BA
Lullaby For A Stormy Night
Harbor
Anna Rose
Soon Love Soon
City Hall
Green Island Serenade

I got there a bit late, while Austin Willacy was singing on acoustic guitar (he was very good). Vienna was on the side near the soundboard, so I said hi and took a few photos (of course), but the first thing I noticed immediately was what looked like an Indian henna tattoo below her neck! My eyes bugged out as I pointed at the tattoo; Vienna said it was temporary. It looked great on her. I then staked out a spot on the side, propped up my chair, and found that I had randomly sat next to the woman who was so enraptured with Vienna's music at the Bazaar Cafe. We meet again!

Afterwards, as Vienna was greeting her fans, I noticed a crew breaking down the stage and packing her piano and thought, oooh, Vienna's got herself some roadies! But then I thought that they were likely just the park personnel, so that excitement died down.

Here are a few initial photos:

You can see the tattoo in a few of the shots. I'll post a closeup of it soon.

The rest are here: Bol Park Concert. Much more to come.

Enjoy, and thanks, Vienna!
Last edited by Klaorman on Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Klaorman

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:18 am

Thanks for the photos and the recap. :) Sigh, I wish I was there...

Are you going to the India Arie concert by any chance? My plans for that are still up in the air... but I *might* be there. :X

Klaorman
Getting Stranger

Postby Klaorman » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:44 pm

I've updated the setlist above by viewing my videos. I had got almost every song; I just missed Shasta.

I've posted 2 more videos, the exquisite Maya and a video of Vienna greeting her fans. Her voice is pretty much lost in the crowd noise in the latter, though. I wonder if I could've switched my camcorder's mike to be directional; probably not, I suppose. Something went wrong with the videos, however; they're even blockier and fuzzier than normal for YouTube. I'll try again soon.

Tanthalas, I won't be able to make it to the India.Arie concert. Have fun if you make it there.

Enjoy!
Klaorman

maisie
Cool Stranger

Postby maisie » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:10 am

Very nice video of Vienna singing Maya! I was sitting too far back during the show to see much, but I really like the effect of the trees, Vienna's hair, and dress all being blown by the wind.

Oops, I managed to make a spastic pop into the other video. :shock:

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:04 am

What the heck is the (girl?) saying at the very end of that video? :P

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:00 am

Set list and pics! Thanks, Klaorman. I took the liberty of posting them to my
site... :>

scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Klaorman
Getting Stranger

Postby Klaorman » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:58 am

Thanks, maisie! I really like Maya! I got in a bit late and just walked right up near the front. There was lots of room there, so you could've done the same.

Spastic pop, huh? Are you the Girl in Pink that gave Vienna a hug?

Tanthalas, the person right at the very end looks like a guy; he said something about first hearing Vienna somewhere. Do you mean Giggly Girl, who was right before him in brown? I'm not sure what she was saying.
Klaorman

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:51 pm

Well, Vienna replied saying, "I can do that" so it sounded like a request of some sort. Or a demand. :X

maisie
Cool Stranger

Postby maisie » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:49 am

I didn't try too hard to get closer because I was with a friend who was happy to stay put spread out in back, and also another friend brought a friend with some little kids who were running around. Even though a bit distracting, it was nice to see so many little kids at a family friendly event. (And no one else back there was joining on the sing along....)

Yeah. I'm the girl in pink. I'd been waiting in back but my hungry friends were getting impatient so I just wanted to say Hi to Vienna quickly before leaving. Wanted to make it fast since I felt like I was cutting around the autograph mob...apparently I ended up looking high on something instead. :? High off of an evening with VT in the park! :D I like bringing new folks to shows, but it's a trade-off. I often don't get to hang around as long afterward because the others want to get going...next concert I'll have to find some of you other die-hards to go with!

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:30 am

maisie wrote:I like bringing new folks to shows, but it's a trade-off. I often don't get to hang around as long afterward because the others want to get going...next concert I'll have to find some of you other die-hards to go with!

Yeah, same here, which is why I like to go by myself a lot of the times (or with fellow crazies). Fortunately, a lot of my friends are cool and understand if I want to stick around for an hour (or two :shock:) after a show, so they'll usually say, "It's cool, we'll catch up later!" :D

vinh
Warm Stranger

Postby vinh » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:57 am

I wasn't able to get close enough to take close-ups like Klaorman, but here's a shot I liked from the concert.

Here, Vienna was singing"1 BR/1 BA". Things got interesting because she was performing solo at this event and thus had no percussions... so instead, she got the audience to clap the percussions portion. It also explains her "cupping" on the keyboard here. It looks like Vienna now has another "sing-a-long" or rather "clap-along" kind of song for her concerts now.

vinh
Warm Stranger

Postby vinh » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:34 am

To give people an idea of the venue and the turn out for the concert, this was perhaps about forty-percent of the audience.

ShaynePepper
Warm Stranger

Postby ShaynePepper » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:42 pm

All of these are wonderful!

Klaorman
Getting Stranger

Postby Klaorman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:10 pm

So I found an open source video editor that can convert my videos to YouTube's supposedly optimum specs for best playback (MPEG4, 320x240, MP3 audio, 30fps), but they still come out looking like crap! The converted video looks great on my computer, much better than what my camcorder's software can do, but run it through YouTube and it looks just like the videos I have up there now.

However, I've found another site that can host my videos in all (well, most of) their glory, Stage6. Here are full res versions of Maya HQ (http://stage6.divx.com/user/Klaorman/vi ... n-Phillips)) (sorry for the non-link, the parentheses in the URL are killing the url tag) and Green Island Serenade HQ. You'll need to install a small DivX plugin. Also, the Maya stream seems to have a bit of trouble; you may have to reload the page and try again. I'll be posting all of my videos on YouTube and Stage6 from now on. I'll likely post the rest of my YouTube videos on Stage6 as well.
Klaorman

Klaorman
Getting Stranger

Postby Klaorman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:32 pm

Thanks for the photos, vinh. I was sitting right off the right edge of your audience photo, behind the guy with black hair in the second row.

The more I listen to Maya, the more I love it. I had heard it once, on Vienna's own video, but I couldn't really hear the words and I just didn't get into it. But hearing it live perked up my ears, and watching my video of it (over and over again) made me love it! It's interesting to compare the old version (performed in Feb. 2003) to the new one: The old one has a longer intro with no real melody; the new one has a tighter intro with a melody line. There are also different endings. Check them out if you haven't already.
Klaorman

Return to “Recordings, Photos, Videos”