My first time seeing Vienna Teng live at Alberta Rose Theatre Portland Oregon

Got media?

Moderators: Michele, The_Man_in_Blue

Ang Mo
Tengster

My first time seeing Vienna Teng live at Alberta Rose Theatre Portland Oregon

Postby Ang Mo » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:09 am

Other people, or so I have read, treasure memorable moments in their lives: the time they climbed the Parthenon at sunrise, or the time they scored the winning basket in a basketball game, the summer day when a guy met a girl on the beach and how later on they got married on the same beach during a perfect sunset. I too met a girl on the beach, but we did not get married, just said hello and went our separate ways. What I remember is the time Clint Eastwood gunned downed the four thugs in the opening of "Fist Full of Dollars" or when Paul Newman ate the 50 boiled eggs in an hour in "Cool Hand Luke" and now I might add my first time watching Vienna live in concert in what I called, "A Royal Command Singing Hobbit Performance" at the Albert Rose Hall was very memorable. Justin Klump, a young singer was the pre Vienna performer and although he seemed a little nervous, settled down, and I liked his instrumental guitar song "Judas" if I remember the name correctly and a song called Stick and Stones, and another called Paper Plane.

The crowd went crazy when Vienna came out and she did not disappoint. Vienna looked so beautiful in her burgundy dress and her skin looked great! I felt my eyes smart with tears of gratitude. Now the play list for Scot, if you ever visit the boards again.................

1.Whatever You Want-I liked the fact Vienna was mostly on her own. She did use an electronic device on the Grand Piano she was playing. I was amazed because her voice is just as it is on the album. She sounded excellent and she has a very clever and witty sense of humor and is not intimidated by the crowd. She really took command even at the opening. She had a red bucket where people had dropped in song requests and she filtered through them and played.

2.Level Up- LIke I say, her voice was spot on and even without the percussion and the dancing she was terrific.

3. Goodnight New York (not sure if I got this right) a song I don't remember hearing before but it is fantastic.

4. Recessional- Perfectly executed, another song you have a greater appreciation of if you see it live.

5.Last Snowfall- A song that seemed more impressive live then on the album.

6.Shasta- Loved it, one of my favorites from the first Vienna Teng album I purchased. I discovered Vienna under the second album, not the first.

7.City Hall-Brilliant, Live or on the album this song just shines. The audience including myself got into clapping along.

8. Land Sailor- Vienna was accompanied on this by a guy named Jacob who has a pretty strong voice in his own right.

9.My Medea- I did not like this song on the album so I rarely played it and just skipped the CD to the next song, but last night it took on new life and I love it now. Some songs you just have to see live I guess to make them click.

10 Gravity- the original version I think Vienna said and it was amazing as always. You can tell she really loves it herself and is one of her personal favorites.

11. Song off the 4th Messenger-The Human Experience Nice song.

12. Hymn of Acxiom LIke I say, I liked it live over the album version because Vienna tells the story behind each song so it helps you understand it better.

13.Antebellum, we all joined it, even me, who generally throws the piano off when I sing. It was fun. One lady shouted out to Vienna how she memorized the lyrics.

14. Song based on a book called collapse but I can't remember the name. Senility is setting in with me.

15. Nothing Without You-This was so perfect, even better than the album and I teared up, not because I was sad but because I was so happy to hear her sing it. More than happiness, I think joy would be the correct term. I had started listening to this song all the time, sometimes playing it over and over again when I drive to the coast because it sets such a peaceful mood and a great time for personal reflection while walking on the beach which in itself is the best medicine and anti-depressant of all time. Vienna says she does not play this one too often and feared forgetting the lyrics. I hope she performs it more often. It is one of her best songs. It could be in a movie, a really good movie that is worthy of its presence.

Harbor was next and Vienna played it with great enthusiasm and her voice was great!

Then a combined song of No Sunshine and Lose yourself by Eminem. I got tickled with her singing the word Ho and it reminded me of that crazy joke I always heard in High School, "Somebody invited me to a Hoe Down and I thought my sister had been shot..........or something silly of that nature.........

Vienna left the stage and got a standing ovation and then came back out and performed

Lullaby for a Stormy Night. One of my all time favorites and it was so cute to see the middle aged woman in front of me clasp her fists together and pump them to an emphatic YES! So more people then just myself were feeling joy. I mean it was really a great vibe from the crowd and Vienna was master over it all.

Then Vienna brought back out Jacob and they did a duet and I think it was called "Promises You Can't Keep" and they complimented each others voice very well.

The evening ended with Vienna performing "Grandmother's Song" and she really got fired up and got the audience into it. That was fun!

My first Vienna Concert, but I am planning to go to more. It is better live because you get the background and you see the human side of the performer. Vienna is great, and I think the next time she should have the venue at Schnitzer Hall in Portland because I think she could fill that venue up. The Albert Rose, a great venue, was very packed for a Tuesday night concert with hardly any seats left. I was exhausted after the concert was over because it was 10:45 pm at night and I have to wake up super early to get to work the next morning, not to mention having to walk a 1/4 of a mile through a Pit Bull infested neighborhood to get back to my car in one piece. That's how unnaturally brave I was last night and so determined to get to the concert. I was walking on air today. I am still thrilled. I have been posting here for years and finally my opportunity came and I made good on it. If you are new to the boards or the music of Vienna Teng, I highly recommend you buy her albums and definitely watch her live. You will see a superior being, it is almost like a spiritual experience I would say.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Michele
Strange

Re: My first time seeing Vienna Teng live at Alberta Rose Theatre Portland Oregon

Postby Michele » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:50 am

At long last, Ang Mo gets to see VT! Glad that braving the outside world was worth it for you!

Thanks so much for your show writeup and setlist! I've listed it on the show archive page, and I'll enter it in Scot's database too.

As for the other shows, all the media is up on their own show archive pages, and I should have setlists to fill in later.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Re: My first time seeing Vienna Teng live at Alberta Rose Theatre Portland Oregon

Postby Ang Mo » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:37 am

Thank you Michelle, it had been a long time coming. I expected for it to happen sooner but I was beyond stoked, because it was so much better then my expectations. The theatre was very comfortable, just like a movie theatre, but the place was not so big, so I could actually see Vienna close up. I had a great view, and my biggest fear of being the only old guy in the audience was also alleviated, which made me relax so I could enjoy the moment. I was wondering what the makeup of the crowd would be at a Vienna Teng concert and I imagined a bunch of young college age students, maybe even high school kids, but I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually made up of all age groups. There were some young kids, some college kids, some high school kids, but there were also a lot of middle aged and elderly people that were the majority, but they still yelled out war whoops and acted like teens. Those middle aged women in the back were really boisterous.

Like I said, I was really impressed with Vienna. Years ago on this forum I thought in the Q&A session or someplace in an interview that Vienna had mentioned about being uncomfortable between songs and conversing with the audience, but she certainly was in complete control last Tuesday night. She was clever, witty, easygoing, and had the audience eating out of her hand. I am an introvert myself so it is amazing to see someone that can get up on a stage in front of complete strangers and perform, then talk to them like she has known them her whole life. It was an amazing performance. I will not forget. I kind of want to see how she behaves on her own home turf like San Francisco. I wonder if that gives the performer home field advantage because they actually know some of the people in the audience or does it cause more pressure because they actually know people in the audience, plus it would be good for me to venture out of my world and explore a bit. I want to go to a place nearby there called Tiburon. It looks interesting in the photos.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Steve
Hot Stranger

Postby Steve » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:15 pm

I'm so glad you finally got to experience the "other half" of Vienna, Ang Mo! We've been going to her concerts for years, whenever she's in this general area. Right from the start, one of the things we love most about her concerts has been her between-songs banter and connection with the audience. I've never seen another artist I felt was as genuine as Vienna, and am sad she doesn't get out this way much, any more. But I'm also happy she's doing what she wants, and hope things continue to go well.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:20 am

Hey Steve,

Back in the day it seemed like Vienna spent most of her tour time in the south and never toured much in the Pacific Northwest. In those early days she would play in a restaurant venue in Eugene, Oregon and that would be it I think she has performed 4 times now in Portland with a different venue each time I think. Once for free at one of the many parks here, the Albert Rose Hall last week, Mississippi Studios before that, and I think a different spot before that which my diet coke soaked mind can't remember.

Her performance reminded me of the Late John Denver at a concert in Park City Utah I went too many moons ago. I use to make fun of John Denver and his music but a friend of mine was a huge fan and he had tickets so I went and I was greatly impressed by John Denver's behavior and his performance. Two songs especially, Annie's Song where he was accompanied by a Flutist from the Utah Symphony and his voice was just great and then when he did Calypso with a lot of musicians from the Utah Symphony and that was the catalyst that made me buy his music. He even did a song playing piano and it was good.

Vienna's performance was the same way, great all around. I would like to see her play guitar live for Mission Street or Goodnight New York. I have watched the video's of her doing it but even video cannot capture the moment as well as seeing the performance live. She needs to keep touring!

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:03 pm

Well, you know what they say: "There's nothing like a Vienna Teng concert!"

Glad you got to go and share this with us, Mr. Chairman1

scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:13 am

I was overdue Scot, good to hear from you by the way. Vienna, was amazing! I was confused how people got to meet her and get photos. Does that happen at the first or does that happen at the end of night? I was there at the end but she booked it out the back door so I assumed that was that. Must happen if you get there super early. If I would have met her I would have been very shy and introduced myself as "Sifu Mo"

Vienna
Warm Stranger

Postby Vienna » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:52 am

Wait, what? I missed my chance to meet the legendary Ang Mo after the Alberta Rose show? Of all the nights to've ended up talking with folks among the seats in the theater rather than going out to the lobby earlier...

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:50 pm

Vienna wrote:Wait, what? I missed my chance to meet the legendary Ang Mo after the Alberta Rose show? Of all the nights to've ended up talking with folks among the seats in the theater rather than going out to the lobby earlier...

:shock:

Two ships....passing in the night. Or completely missing each other and never knowing the other was there, I guess. :(

Hopefully there will be another opportunity.

So glad you finally got to see her perform live, Ang Mo.
Chris

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:44 am

Vienna wrote:Wait, what? I missed my chance to meet the legendary Ang Mo after the Alberta Rose show? Of all the nights to've ended up talking with folks among the seats in the theater rather than going out to the lobby earlier...

I showed up a little late. Nearly passed out when I thought the young lady sitting at the table was you for a second. I thought you had grown your hair real long. I even suspected she might be your sister. She was sitting at a table with musical goods as I walked in. I grabbed my seat inside and watched the show.

Thank you for the kind words Vienna, you are giving me delusions of adequacy! LoL. I know you have a very full and exciting life but you must always perform music. You are truly great! You seem to be able to rise all spirits to a better train of thought. We all want to be Obi-Wan Kenobi, but there is a little Darth Vader in all of us. You seem to make even me to want to try to be a better person. I have not always succeeded in that capacity, but when I listen to your music it gives me the incentive to try to be better.

manleyj
Cool Stranger

Postby manleyj » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:53 am

"I think she has performed 4 times now in Portland with a different venue each time I think. Once for free at one of the many parks here, the Albert Rose Hall last week, Mississippi Studios before that, and I think a different spot before that which my diet coke soaked mind can't remember."

Actually, she has performed in Portland area at least 10 times that I attended. Thrice at the Aladdin (w Joan Baez 2005, Madeline Peyroux 2006, Glen Phillips 2007), at least 4 times at Mississippi Studios (w Jenny Owens Young 2007, Sara Watkins 2010, Barnaby Bright 2013, and ?), two free outdoor park concerts in Lake Oswego 2007 & 2009, and the recent show at the Alberta Rose. I usually bring my daughter who has been hearing me play Vienna's music since she was 5 yrs old (she is now 16). She is a big fan and was very happy that the Alberta Rose was all ages (Mississippi Studios is not). In fact, she spotted Vienna on the sidewalk outside the Alberta Rose and got to have a short personal conversation (similar to several conversations they have had over the years at the Aladdin and the Lake Owego park concerts). Vienna seemed to hit Portland a lot when she was based in California, but less so when she moved to the east coast (Notice that she was in Portland 3 times in 2007). We will always be fans and look forward to new music and concerts as her new life allows.

BTW - At the Alberta Rose we sat next to a music teacher who was hearing Vienna for the first time. She commented that she could teach the opening act (Jason Klump) a few things, but that Vienna was just amazing.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:22 am

I stand corrected on the number of visits to Portland by Vienna and I thank you for the information. Since I barely have the courage to leave my own place or even try to socialize with people then I won't put a judgement on Justin Klump. I am no music teacher or expert but considering he was performing in front of a lot of people and to sort of a home crowd since he use to live across the river in the "Couv" I personally thought he did okay and seemed to gain confidence as he went with his selection. I personally could never get up in front of an audience and do something like that. I was the guy who was dressed up in the Rabbi outfit with the two foot long beard drinking crown royal mixed with diet coke and almost screamed out, "He's just so wrong for you!" in a jealous rage when Vienna's significant other got up to sing, but I was so proud that I was able to listen to the sober "still small voice" from inside myself and did not relent to red neck behavior for a cheap tasteless joke. That last bit about how i was dressed and what I was drinking, thinking, etc was just made up on my part, not to be taken seriously.
I liked the song "Good Night New York" a lot. It has become a new favorite. I had always disliked the idea of going to New York because I imagined a city full of rats the size of pit-bulls and people pointing guns sideways at you just for a cup of coffee, but as usual my perceptions were wrong. It's like any place which has it good parts and bad like any other. Just an amazing song though! It seems to calm me down when I listen to it during stressful times. Actually many of her songs do that.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:52 am

cmooreNC wrote:

:shock:

Two ships....passing in the night. Or completely missing each other and never knowing the other was there, I guess. :(

Hopefully there will be another opportunity.

So glad you finally got to see her perform live, Ang Mo.

I am sure that will happen. I am writing my first novel, which I mentioned earlier called, " The Man from Tiburon". It is about a reclusive, cynical, suspicious, and very paranoid man who wants to marry this completely normal woman who lives in San Francisco but the problem lies in the fact she likes living in San Francisco which he finds repulsive because when you live in Tiburon you have the superior view of San Francisco and can appreciate the architecture and the skyline and he can't figure out how in the hell anybody would want to live inside San Francisco because you are enclosed in the buildings just around your neighborhood so you can't appreciate the full view and there are far too many pit bulls and the rent is just too damn high. He finally convinces her to move to Tiburon through the use of a hand puppet that looks like Yoda from Star Wars and channeling the voice of Yoda. One funny scene is where he is riding the BART to go see her and he spies a person reading that book called, "The Power Within" and channeling the voice of Yoda through the puppet he tells the person reading the book, "You poor B@stard!" The person reading the book becomes fearful and moves to another part of the train. Anyhow I know I will finish it off with a happy ending somehow. I really need to get to Tiburon to get my background for the book completely accurate. The cover of the novel will have that beautiful view of San Francisco as seen from Tiburon.
I am sorry for digressing Chris. My goal is also to see Vienna in concert. I wonder if she has every performed in Tiburon. Does any trivia person out there know that? Wouldn't that be cool if she did. It is very scenic
Last edited by Ang Mo on Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:33 am

I don't remember Vienna playing that many concerts in the Portland area and I don't remember her playing at Mississippi studio four times. I do not remember that many times there. The time I remember for Mississippi studios was with Alex Wong and some others. That was the only time I remember.

As for my novel idea, I was just joking around, but Tiburon is a very nice city and has great views of San Fran.

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:23 pm

Sounds like an interesting read... :D
Chris

Return to “Recordings, Photos, Videos”