Philly to NY

Just say no to hydrocarbons.

Moderator: The_Man_in_Blue

Michele
Strange

Philly to NY

Postby Michele » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:49 am

Hey there,

Erik and I are flying over to the east coast for the Bowery and World Cafe Live shows. We are flying into Philly, and need to get to NY and back somehow. We'd like to check out that cheese steak for lunch first ;) then get to NY in the afternoon. As for going back, that can be whenever, in the evening after the show (but we want to stay for at least Kaki King) or the early morning. I will figure out a hotel when the way back is worked out.

We're not bringing large amounts of luggage, just carryon stuff and a laptop, so we won't need a whole lot of trunk space...but we will need a leetle room, and more leg room than less would be preferrable too.

If anyone can help us out or give us ideas (as far as public transit, we've been advised to try the Chinatown bus) please PM or e-mail me :D Gas money, dinner and what not is, of course, happily provided...

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:25 am

I'm adding myself to the list looking for a ride from NY->Philly on the morning of 1/21. I'd just have a backpack and a small traveling bag.

Alternatively, if anyone else has plans to bus it from NY to Philly and would like to join up, give a shout or a PM. :)

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:34 am

Amtrak?
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:57 am

Well, right now, the Chinatown bus in NY may be the cheapest option (in terms of public transportation)... although it's sketchier than Amtrak.

rtu
Warm Stranger

Postby rtu » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:34 am

you can buy roundtrip tickets on greyhound online for $20 (the same price of the chinatown buses.) i forgot what the schedule is, but the last bus is back is before 11 pm.

when are you flying in? there is a train (R1) to/from the airport to center city (i think it's about $5.50 each way...i haven't taken it in awhile.) if you take it to market east station, it'll drop you off right in front of (actually under) the greyhound station at 10th and filbert.

the other possibility is that i might be able to pick you up from the airport and take you to get cheesesteak before you catch the bus up...i unfortunately cannot go up to nyc, though i wish i could.

rtu
Warm Stranger

Postby rtu » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:58 am

just checked the location of the bowery room, and it would be easier to take the chinatown bus since it's only a few walking blocks from the venue. if you are only going one way, i think it's $12 ($20 roundtrip.) greyhound let's you off at port authority at times square. you can catch a subway to chinatown from there and then walk to the venue.

but be warned...1. just because you want to get on the chinatown bus doesn't mean you will. be ready to do some major pushing and shoving because it's not very organized. oh, and make sure you have a number on your ticket if they are using the system for that particular bus. 2. the walk is going to be a bit dark.

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:32 am

Well so my plan is to get into NYC by the afternoon at the latest so I can grab a quick bite and then hopefully get to the venue early to beat the crowds for a good seat (unless one of you privileged folks out there who get special Vienna-reserved seating can save me a seat... I'll buy you dinner! :D).

Hopefully the bus to NYC won't be too crowded (I'll be coming from Boston)... I can't imagine why it would be particularly crowded on a Saturday afternoon. Well it IS Saturday I guess.

blainewad
Howdy, Stranger!

meet-up?

Postby blainewad » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:16 am

i'm coming in for the show from central jersey... so not as far a trek as some of you :). it'll be my first time seeing anyone on the bill live, but i'm particularly psyched for ane, vt, and kaki. anyone else goin' solo who might like to meet at the venue or beforehand for a drink/bite to eat?

i'm reasonably safe to be around. :)

- p
"i just made you up to hurt myself.
and it worked.
yes, it did." - nin

Scot
Tengster

Re: meet-up?

Postby Scot » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:08 am

blainewad wrote:anyone else goin' solo who might like to meet at the venue or beforehand for a drink/bite to eat?

Everyone have the secret handshake down pat?

hmm, or maybe we need something a little more visible? I say Hawaiian
shirts for all. :>

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:03 am

socks

blainewad
Howdy, Stranger!

do they have to be clean?

Postby blainewad » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:30 am

remember 'themed outfit' days back in school? way back when, i bought a blue hawaiian shirt just for (you guessed it) hawaiian shirt day and i still have it... but the hell i'm ever wearin' it again.

'socks' it is then.

try to spot me at the show. i'll be standing next to waldo.

:)

- p
"i just made you up to hurt myself.

and it worked.

yes, it did." - nin

Return to “Carpooling”