my latest batch from Amazon:
- <a href='http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000F1EL/103-4101935-6886217' target='_blank'>Plaid - Not For Threes</a>
- <a href='http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000067NW0/103-4101935-6886217' target='_blank'>Balligomingo - Beneath The Surface</a>
- <a href='http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00007J4S2/103-4101935-6886217' target='_blank'>Carla Kihlstedt - Two Foot Yard</a>
- <a href='http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000894RG/103-4101935-6886217' target='_blank'>Dar Williams - The Beauty of The Rain</a>
- <a href='http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008BL67/103-4101935-6886217' target='_blank'>Ani DiFranco - Evolve</a>
unfortunately, i've been completely addicted to the Balligomingo CD, so i haven't given anything else much more than a cursory listen.
but a couple of initial reactions:
- Dar's new one is decent, but like many, i liked her better when she wasn't so slickly produced.
- Ani is still less sort of structured and melodic than she used to be. not quite so out there as she was with Revelling/Reckoning. but still. she's not as listenable/sing-along-able. (i'm shallow, what can i say?) hmm. i dunno. i need to listen a couple more times. maybe my opinion will change.
- Carla does not pretend to be sing-along-able. i saw her live a month or so ago. her main instrument is the violin. classically trained, she has set out into the realm of funk/rock/experimental music. i liked her. lots of energy, loads of talent and skill and smarts. and uh ... cute, too. the quote on the back of the liner notes is: "Dear Mom & Dad - I am very sorry for upsetting you last night. The Mozart was very very long and got me bored." heheh. so yeah ... sorta like that.
- Plaid. haven't listened to it enough to say anything. one of their albums was playing in someone's car and it struck my fancy. i don't think it was this album.
- Balligomingo. it's a CD of catchy pop/electronica with atmospheric female vocals. i'm hooked. i've just started to pay attention to the lyrics. they're above average for the genre, but nothing to swoon over. still it's pretty yummy.
anyone else have reccommendations? recent experiences?