UK fans!!

She's a helluva chef. Interpretation, praise, criticism ...

Moderator: Ginny

Ghines
Cool Stranger

Postby Ghines » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:10 pm

Hey Nick, welcome aboard! Good to have another Uk Vienna buddy :lol:

I'm really intrigued by the musicians u mentioned- Patty Griffin? Grey Eye Glances? I'd love to check them out, if they're anything like Vienna then i'll love them im sure!

Tori rocks as well tho, of course!! :D I was listening to 'Tales of a Librarian' again today and i found a song that absolutely chilled me (no pun intended): 'Winter'. It's just the most haunting song, beautiful piano, beautiful lyrics.... there was me trying to motivate myself to do art coursework, but when 'Winter' came on i was absolutely captivated! the same happens when i listen to Vienna, come to think of it.... *mental note: dont listen to Tori or Vienna when trying to work* What r ur fave Tori songs? I only have her one album so i feel ive barely scratched the surface....

I love Gravity too, its probably my favourite Vienna song of all time! :) just out of interest, do u know of any other artists like Tori or Vienna?

Thanks for your response,

G :)

Nick - UK
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby Nick - UK » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:31 am

Hi Scot, thanks for the welcome.

Ghines - I'm not saying Patty Griffin is like Vienna, though she's a singer/songwriter, just that IMHO she's another superb artist. Grey Eye Glances are a group with a female vocalist. You can check out Patty's samples at Amazon, but you can do better with Grey Eye Glances, if you go to emusic's site, <a href='http://www.emusic.com' target='_blank'>http://www.emusic.com</a> (where I'm no longer a member), you can get 50 free mp3 downloads, then cancel your subscription without paying a penny, if you want. GEG have 5 or 6 albums there, the best two are Painted Pictures and Eventide. Vienna's albums are all there as well. High-quality mp3s, no wma with all the rubbish DRM stuff. You can preview all the tracks without downloading them as well.

I've got TOAL, and although I think it's OK, I prefer the originals, maybe because I'm so used to them. Winter is off her first album Little Earthquakes, and the best thing on there IMO. You *have* only scratched the surface with Tori, she's the most prolific writer I've come across, as well as all her studio albums she has a ton of material that she only plays live. Under The Pink is still my favourite album, and the best place to start if you like Winter.

Other artists like Vienna... there are loads of female singer/songwriters around at the moment, but most are pretty mediocre. You could try Sarah McLachlan, Solace or Surfacing are good albums to start with. Also, check out Fisher, <a href='http://www.itsaboutmusic.com/fisher.html' target='_blank'>http://www.itsaboutmusic.com/fisher.html</a>, there's a link where you can get an excellent free album called Red, it's quite similar in style to Vienna, and much better IMO than their other release which is commercially available.

Nick

brendanstallard
Cool Stranger

Postby brendanstallard » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:57 am

<<<BrendanStallard and Lynchy post some and they are from the UK>>>

Ginny (others)

Uh: I'm kindof a mix and it gets even more confusing for me these days.

I was born in Cork, Ireland, lived in the UK from age six on, till the gypsy bug hit big.

I've lived in Jamaica, Australia, Spain and spent longish times in lots of other countries.

I washed up in London and after initially hating it, began to like it after a while.........then I met my wife who has handcuffed me to Atlanta half of the time although I still spend a month in Atlanta, a month in London, usually.

I'm a mess. I have no idea where home is, or what culture I am. I have three passports and although at the Troubadour, Vienna did not believe me: I had travelled over from Atlanta to see her:)
brendan (atlanta-this week)

turiya
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby turiya » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:34 pm

i cannot imagine there do exist someone hate vienna's music.
Last edited by turiya on Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

legio_ix
Cool Stranger

nother uk fan

Postby legio_ix » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:19 pm

hi am also in uk have had some vienna music for about a year and a half, but until they became international releases the cds were pretty much unreachable on my budget. happily got both cds now. hey lynchy hows yorkshire these days, not been back in while but born and bred for 17 years in huddersfield.

on the other topics i love tori amos song winter but thats pretty much all i've heard, although shes now firmly on my to buy list. Dont like charlotte church and never have there were always better vocalists than her. As a general i'd reccomend sarah brightman i own 8 cds and trying to get more :D also hayley westenra has an amazing voice. for the last year nothing has topped vienna tho!

hoping i'll get to see vienna live, i guess it'll be down in london for the next album release whenever that will be :D, heres to a thousand mile round trip - i'm pretty sure it'll be worth it!

btw am 19 yrs old so close age wise to some of you.

Coolbeans
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby Coolbeans » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:44 am

Hello :D

I'm a UK fan. I got into Vienna's music months back when i was watching Jay Leno and he mentioned "Dreaming Through The Noise" on his show. Anyway, she's great :D

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:04 pm

Welcome to the forums, Coolbeans! :) ~Ginny
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

Trialia
Cool Stranger

Postby Trialia » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:12 pm

Thread seems to have not been posted in since January? But I'm going to say hi anyway. :) Meant to join a long time ago and never did... Anyway, yeah, I'm in Manchester, so another British fan here. (I say that as I'm politically opposed to the term 'United Kingdom', but that's another story entirely and doesn't have a place here.)
and breathe my breath
just to share the air
that I have known
and to learn
who it is that you see
whose eyes fall half-shut before you
in silence

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:38 am

Hi Trialia -welcome!:)
scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Vana
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby Vana » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:00 am

I saw her in london last year. Think it was June?

I have no words . . . she's just simply . . . "amazing" I guess is a start at a possible attempt to cover who she is. I always think of the word "significant". She's significant to me.

But she's just so much more. Her energy and being and the way she relates to her audience. I was mesmerised. Spell bound. Couldn't take my eyes off her.

And she signed my book! And I stood there like an idiot telling her how incredibly amazing she was and I just couldn't find the words to say anything else.

She's my biggest celebrity crush. Has been for years and always will be.

Just wow. Can't wait to hear when she's back in the UK. I will be the first to get tickets.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:21 am

Vana wrote:I saw her in london last year. Think it was June?

I have no words . . . she's just simply . . . "amazing" I guess is a start at a possible attempt to cover who she is. I always think of the word "significant". She's significant to me.

But she's just so much more. Her energy and being and the way she relates to her audience. I was mesmerised. Spell bound. Couldn't take my eyes off her.

And she signed my book! And I stood there like an idiot telling her how incredibly amazing she was and I just couldn't find the words to say anything else.

She's my biggest celebrity crush. Has been for years and always will be.

Just wow. Can't wait to hear when she's back in the UK. I will be the first to get tickets.

Hi, Vana!
I think we all pretty much feel that way about Vienna and her music; that's what we are doing here. Nice to have you on the forum.
Fred

Return to “Vienna's Kitchen”