boy at the piano

She's a helluva chef. Interpretation, praise, criticism ...

Moderator: Ginny

emma
Cool Stranger

Postby emma » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:48 am

can anyone give me the lyrics for this one, so i could sing along without feeling stupid? i've looked everywhere but i wasn't able to find anything. :)

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:40 am

Sorry, I don't have the lyrics...but look on the bright side--you couldn't possibly feel as stupid as my friend, Kate and I do when we sing Green Island Serenade in fake Mandarin. LOL We just rhyme along b/c we haven't the first idea how it really goes. And since our rhymes are our own rather than a uniformed thing, when we're in the car together we end up with 3 versions of Green Island Serenade happening at once--Vienna's, Kate's, and mine. LOL Kate is the only person I'd dare do that in front of b/c she's as silly as I am. :) But maybe I'll eventually make a Mandarin-fluent friend who can help me out. It really is pretty embarassing.... :D ~Ginny
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

ShaynePepper
Warm Stranger

Postby ShaynePepper » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:26 am

Ginny, that's really hilarious, but don't feel bad... I do the same exact thing. I have no freaking clue what I'm singing.

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:36 pm

LOL That's good to know, Shayne. I was wondering if we were the only ones who did this! :) ~G
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:01 am

I found this under the scrapbook section of this site.

Lüdao Xiaoyequ
words by Chen Chang-shou/music by Yao Di

zhe lü dao xiang yi zhi chuan,
zai yue ye li yao ya yao.
gu niang ya, ni ye zai wo
de xin hai li piao ya piao.
rang wo de ge sheng sui na wei feng,
chui kai le ni de chuang lian.
rang wo de zhong qing sui na liu shui,
bu duan de xiang ni qing su.
ye zi shu de chang ying
yan bu zhu wo de qing yi;
ming mei de yue guang
geng zhao liang le wo de xin.
zhe lü dao de ye yi jing zhe yang de chen jing —
gu niang ya, ni wei shen ma hai shi muo muo wu yü?

Green Island Serenade
translation by Ed Peaslee

This green island is like a boat,
floating in the moonlight.
My darling, you too
are floating in the sea of my heart.
Let the sound of my song follow the breeze,
blowing open the curtain of your window.
Let my love follow the flowing water,
endlessly pouring out its feelings for you.
The long shadows of the palm trees
cannot conceal my love;
the bright beauty of the moonlight
casts its brilliance into my heart.
This green island night is so calm and serene —
my darling, why are you silent, saying nothing?

Couldn't find Boy at the Piano though.
Always look on the bright side of life.

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:05 pm

Thanks, Ben! The problem is, I can't properly pronounce the Mandarin....I have a semi-rhyming thing happening though. LOL :) ~Ginny

tontamoo
Warm Stranger

Postby tontamoo » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:13 pm

Ginny wrote: But maybe I'll eventually make a Mandarin-fluent friend who can help me out.  It really is pretty embarassing.... :D  ~Ginny

:lol: I can try and help out where I can.

In the meantime, perhaps this will help: a different version of Green Island Serenade (<a href='http://002.t1688.com/vcd5/sjyh/mp3/denglijun/%C2%CC%B5%BA%D0%A1%D2%B9%C7%FA.mp3' target='_blank'>download mp3</a>). It's a barebones, acoustic version of the song. No frills, no distractions. Zhao Peng pronounces very clearly and slowly, so that should be very helpful. You can <a href='http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1003343254/section-music/code-c/version-all/aid-745606/' target='_blank'>buy his album</a> at Yesasia; it's track number 5.

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:03 am

Thanks, Tontamoo! I'll give that a try. Perhaps Zhao Peng can help preserve the rest of my dignity. ;) ~Ginny

vinh
Warm Stranger

Postby vinh » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:20 am

OMG!!!! THANK YOU TONTAMOO!!! i love that version of the Green Island Serenade! it's totally retro. ^_^ i like those old fashioned chinese tunes, even though i don't understand a word of it. they remind me of those old Shanghai gangster movies. :D

vinh
Warm Stranger

Postby vinh » Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:17 pm

someone filled me in on the artist that sang on that mp3, she said it's Teresa Teng.

Teresa Teng sang the Green Island Serenade... Vienna Teng sings the Green Island Serenade... we know Vienna's name is a stage name, so any chance Teresa Teng was the source for the surname? E.g., perhaps her parents would often play Teresa's music when she was growing up?

emma
Cool Stranger

Postby emma » Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:44 am

Teresa Teng sang the Green Island Serenade... Vienna Teng sings the Green Island Serenade... we know Vienna's name is a stage name, so any chance Teresa Teng was the source for the surname? E.g., perhaps her parents would often play Teresa's music when she was growing up?

is vienna's name a stage name? i did not know that. is the name 'vienna' a stage name too, or just the 'teng'?

anyway, thanks guys. i'll just try to listen more closely--i love boy at the piano. :)

BellaSharona730
Cool Stranger

Postby BellaSharona730 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:27 am

I'm gonna hafta ditto Emma's question... i didn't know that either... could someone explain?? thanks!

and boy on the piano is my latest obsession :D :rolleyes:

~alli

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:10 am

My understanding is that the whole name is a stage name. It's a good idea--a good way to keep her personal life a little more separate. And yeah Alli, I'm with you--love Boy at the Piano!

tontamoo
Warm Stranger

Postby tontamoo » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:17 am

Just in case anyone is curious, here's a link to Green Island Serenade as sung by Teresa Teng. (<a href='http://002.t1688.com/vcd5/sjyh/mp3/denglijun/%C2%CC%B5%BA%D0%A1%D2%B9%C7%FA.mp3' target='_blank'>download mp3</a>). You may want to use a download manager like NetTransport, because the server is a little low and in Asia. For the more adventurous, you can find lots of different versions of Green Island Serenade at this <a href='http://mp3.baidu.com/m?tn=baidump3&ct=134217728&rn=&word=%C2%CC%B5%BA%D0%A1%D2%B9%C7%FA&lm=0' target='_blank'>site</a> (encoded in Simplified Chinese). Just download at random and see what you get. Life is like a box of chocolates.... :rolleyes:

Vinh, I don't think your theory is too much of a stretch. Certainly, I never really made that connection until you just brought it up. I did ask Vienna during the Q&A thread, sort of just for fun, what other stage names made it to the final round before she decided on "Vienna Teng". She hasn't responded to the later questions in the thread yet, but I'm hoping she'll get the time to answer all of our questions eventually. I'm really curious what names we could've known Vienna by. :)

Okay, that was enough of a sidetrack eh? Back to Boy at the Piano. Well, Emma, I was just going to say that you could try to figure out the lyrics by ear by listening to the live mp3s provided by ballegre not too long ago, but then I tried it myself. Oh my, that's a particularly difficult song to understand. I could pick out "Ten fingers, ten dancers" in the beginning and then it went downhill from there. But <a href='http://viennateng.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=439' target='_blank'>it's worth a shot</a>. Perhaps someone else will have better luck deciphering the lyrics on that one.

emma
Cool Stranger

Postby emma » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:32 am

My understanding is that the whole name is a stage name. It's a good idea--a good way to keep her personal life a little more separate.

now that's a surprise for me. but i agree, ginny. it's a good way to keep some personal things private.

and tontamoo, i've also tried ballegre's file but i couldn't make out the lyrics. oh well.. :)

Return to “Vienna's Kitchen”