Why was Augustine never promoted as a radio single?

She's a helluva chef. Interpretation, praise, criticism ...

Moderator: Ginny

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Why was Augustine never promoted as a radio single?

Postby dbeattie » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:55 pm

Good afternoon warm strangers,

I've just uploaded my whole music collection to a music player (actually a virtual music player, Google Music a.k.a. Google Play Music, but that's besides the point),... and so now I have the ability to have a random shuffle of all the music I personally own... I'm sure that the fact that I'm just now doing this in 2012 makes me quite behind the times, but still, the point is that I'm now hearing how Vienna's music mixes in with stuff by other artists, when the computer does it for me randomly. And the conclusion I've come to is:

Augustine was always one of my least favorite songs in the context of the rest of Vienna's music. It seemed abrasive, next to the beautiful voice we've come to know and the relatively melancholy songs that Vienna has released on average over the years. But when mixed in with the rest of pop music, I find the opposite to be true. The other Vienna songs seem to not fit the mood, whereas Augustine is catchy, memorable, rocking, quite pleasing, and leaves me wanting more of the same. When Augustine is mixed in at random with standard pop music, and it comes on, I get the biggest smile and start dancing! And I don't think anybody cares that we don't really know what the song is about.

So who's with me? I know it's been a while since the album came out, but do we need to start a campaign to get this thing promoted?
Last edited by dbeattie on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:36 pm

I would've loved Augustine to have been released as a single. That said, I don't think it would've gotten anywhere. At the time of its release, there weren't really any women making a big splash on radio. The time just wasn't right. Last year and this year, it's cycled back around again. While that could actually work against VT, because radio usually plays only one female artist an hour (?!?!) and the market is crowded right now, I think she'd have a lot more of a shot. I wish there was an album coming out this year.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:04 pm

That's what White Light was supposed to have been about - the radio single. However, Vienna seems to have lost interest in it. (She kind of dissed it at one show during the IT tour where I saw her do it -- "Maybe someday I'll have enough attitude to do this right," or words to that effect.) Would it be better in a pop mix? I don't know. Augustine, on the other hand, fits the album fine to these ears and I love the percussive piano.

I dutifully asked my local AOR-format station for plays of White Light when IT came out, and so did others; we got some plays. Vox populi, however, seems to have settled on Antebellum or maybe St. Stephen's Cross as the highlight of the album.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Return to “Vienna's Kitchen”