Grandmother Song

She's a helluva chef. Interpretation, praise, criticism ...

Moderator: Ginny

murlough23
Warm Stranger

Postby murlough23 » Fri May 08, 2009 7:03 pm

terraphim86 wrote:This song is so interesting. There's such a focus on "you'll need a man!" but then such a focus on "a woman is more than that."

Both could potentially be true at the same time, I suppose - meaning that a woman is defined by more than just her relationship to a man (or lack thereof), but at the same time, it's helpful to have the security of a guy with a stable job. (At least, it is if you perceive a career in music to be as unstable as Vienna's granny apparently does. Which isn't too far from the truth, though Vienna doesn't seem to be hurting for gigs or anything.)

But I kind of see the "feminist" part of the song as being a wit of wishful thinking on Vienna's part - stuff that she wishes a wise elder had taught her. Most folks in that generation are likely to be too traditional to think that way, but if she really is that forward-thinking, then more power to her.

terraphim86
Warm Stranger

Postby terraphim86 » Mon May 11, 2009 8:35 pm

murlough23 wrote:Most folks in that generation are likely to be too traditional to think that way, but if she really is that forward-thinking, then more power to her.

Never generalize: my great-grandmother was a pilot during WW2. :D She was quite a kick-ass lady, actually. Her daughter may be backward, but she wasn't.

murlough23
Warm Stranger

Postby murlough23 » Mon May 11, 2009 8:36 pm

terraphim86 wrote:Never generalize

Note that I said "most" and not "all".

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Tue May 12, 2009 4:32 am

terraphim86 wrote:
murlough23 wrote:Most folks in that generation are likely to be too traditional to think that way, but if she really is that forward-thinking, then more power to her.

Never generalize: my great-grandmother was a pilot during WW2. :D She was quite a kick-ass lady, actually. Her daughter may be backward, but she wasn't.

Great-grandmother?! Mine could have been a pilot in the Crimean War, had there been airplanes then (and if I had had ancestors in that neck of the woods). [Slight exaggeration. The Boer War, anyway; at a stretch, the Franco-Prussian War. Could have been a balloon pilot.]

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Tue May 26, 2009 8:30 am

terraphim86 wrote:Never generalize: my great-grandmother was a pilot during WW2. :D She was quite a kick-ass lady, actually. Her daughter may be backward, but she wasn't.

Really? Do tell! Was she a WASP?

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:51 am

I absolutely love the fact that in this song, Vienna sings kind-of-out-of-key (Purposefully, from what I can tell.) It makes it seem all the more Romp n' Stomp back-porch deep south kinda thang.

My point? I dont have one.

Norm
Warm Stranger

Postby Norm » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:38 am

When my grandma was around, she used to always give me the "find a nice Chinese girl and get married" speech. Which I guess I did.

Let's face it - most of us do not have the talent to support ourselves in the music industry.

What seems like annoying advice often turns out to be good advice in the end. A lot of older people went through the depression and know how hard it can be. Get a stable career so you can survive [which a lot of us are finding out now]

On the other hand, why not take some risks in doing what you love while you're young?

asteroid
Warm Stranger

Postby asteroid » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:31 am

But the one thing they can take away from you
is your mind and the education you'll be through

This is what my mother keeps saying to me. LOL.
And though I myself haven't been in grad school , she hopes me to find a man who has been through as least grad school.

Background (if it is): I'm local Chinese.
Vienna's volunteer agent on midomi.com

Return to “Vienna's Kitchen”