How I was exposed to Vienna Teng

She's a helluva chef. Interpretation, praise, criticism ...

Moderator: Ginny

mrsfire
Howdy, Stranger!
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:01 am
Location: Alexandria Virginia

How I came to love Vienna Teng & her music

Postby mrsfire » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:44 am

Glad I found this forum. I have been a follower of hers for awhile now & never knew there was more than a website.

I recall, vaguely, how I came to learn about her music. I was flipping thru TV channels when she was performing or showcased on one of the morning shows (good morning america, or the today show, can not recall exactly)
At that moment I loved the song & told myself I would find out who the up and coming star was/is!

I checked out the CDs and could not find a single CD at the bookstore music section - -because I couldn't get the name correct. Finally, I found her music and bought the CD. I pretty much wore the CD out!
I finally got the opportunity to see her live in Arlington Virginia a few years back and was so pleased I did. The venue was small and personal, she signed my CD case & it was simply a great concert.
I want to take in a few more concerts and keep up with her newest releases. Life is so busy in the Wash Metro area I truly don't take a moment to just relax and listen to her music.
A road trip to take in one of her concerts is a great idea & a must do.

javascript:emoticon('8)')
Music is soft as whisper and deep as the soul

maeowelvsulotz
Howdy, Stranger!
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:38 pm
Location: Kansas City

Postby maeowelvsulotz » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:08 am

You tube. I was a 7th grader in 2005 looking up fan videos for the Amine Naruto (which I no longer watch) and stubled across a video with "The Tower" as the song in the background.

I fell In love and haven't stopped loving her music for 4 years running.
^o^

Scot
Tengster
Posts: 1675
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:21 am
Location: Hilo, HI
Contact:

Postby Scot » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:16 am

Welcome mrsfile (hope you make that roadtrip soon - and report here when you do!) and maeowelvsulotz!

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

marathonmark
Cool Stranger
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 7:02 pm

Postby marathonmark » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:02 pm

I was driving home from a bowling tournament in Seattle and turned on a local radio station where Vienna was playing in studio. She played Harbor and Shasta.

Her music captured me immediately and I went home and bought Warm Strangers. The following week I ordered Waking Hour, and I've been listening to her (and attending shows each year) ever since.

I've listened to all kinds of music throughout the years, but none has resonated as strongly with me as Vienna's. I am grateful for having stumbled upon her voice and keys that day in the rain.

kai
Howdy, Stranger!
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:35 pm
Location: Hungary, Central-Europe

How I was exposed to Vienna Teng

Postby kai » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:28 pm

Hi there everybody!

I'm kai from Hungary, and I'd like to tell you how I was exposed to Vienna Teng.

It was with the help of the mighty internet :)
I was browsing blogs, following links, and someone (I don't even remeber who) was searching wedding music for walking down the aisle, and the commentors linked some songs. I followed the links and Vienna's My Medea was amongst the linked videos. I was completely astonished. It was hauntingly beautiful. I wathced more Vienna videos, listened to live performances, and fell in love with her. I searched her on wiki, read about her, but most of all listened to her. The more of her songs I listened to the more I liked her. (usually, with other singers it's reversed, I like one or two songs but not the others). I liked her live recordings especially. The little stories and introductions were so lovely, making me feel like a little bit getting to know her and she is just as likeable as her music.
She's a really talented musician, and I'm happy that I found her. I like it really much, that unlike most of the mainstram music, her songs tell something, the lyrics make sense. Trying to find out the true meaning of some songs, I found Scot's page, and then now this forum. It was really interesting to see, that sometimes her lyrics are not easy to interpret even for native speakers.
I don't think that I will be lucky enough to hear her live myself, since she's not so widely known in Central Europe, but thanks to youtube, archive.org and amazon.com her music is available here too. And I also try to get her more fans, hoping she might come here one day if there's many of us. Or I get rich and go watch her abroad :) I showed My Medea to my to-be-sister-in-law and got Vienna another hungarian fan :) so now there's at least two of us :lol:


ps.: Please forgive me, if my comment's grammar and language is full of mistakes, my English is not perfect.
"There are two ways of living. One is nothing is a miracle. Second is everything is a miracle. I believe in the latter." Albert Einstein

cmooreNC
Tengster
Posts: 850
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:59 pm
Location: Hermitage, TN

Postby cmooreNC » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:45 pm

Welcome to the forum, Kai! Don't worry about your english. What you were trying to say came across just fine (and many of us have similar feelings about Vienna and her music). :D
Chris

Fred
Tengster
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:55 am
Location: NY metro area

Postby Fred » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:00 am

Welcome from me too, Kai. Many of us discovered Vienna's music on the internet. I did (on Pandora, specifically). And many of us were utterly astounded by how great it was. A whole body of songs, each one better than the last. Like finding a perfect, cut diamond in the dirt, it's just not something you expect. We know.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Scot
Tengster
Posts: 1675
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:21 am
Location: Hilo, HI
Contact:

Postby Scot » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:12 am

Hi Kai,

Welcome! I just saw your submission to my web page, too. Thanks - I'll try to make the update this weekend! :)
scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

rainspeckled
Howdy, Stranger!
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 12:37 am
Location: California

I found her through my gayness

Postby rainspeckled » Sun May 09, 2010 1:00 am

I discovered Vienna Teng in Nov '08. A writer whose blog I frequent (stalk) wrote a very personal post about the passing of Prop 8 in California. At the end, she linked to "Recessional." It was beautiful. I loved the quiet melancholy of the song, which only added to the mood I was in at that time: somber, pensive, angry, but dispirited. In a way, appreciating music really does depend on your surrounding conditions, at least for me it does. At that time, with my emotions, the song left a strong impression on me. It still remains as my favorite song (and I still can't not picture it as a lesbian relationship, even though I now know it's written from a guy's POV).

Anywayyyy, y'know what I just said about appreciating music? Unfortunately, I have to say that "Recessional" was the only song I liked from Vienna for months. D: I eventually got drawn into the jazziness of the third album though, and the rest went on from there. :)

(You know, Vienna has a pretty sizable LGBT fanbase. I've come across Vienna several times since then from other LGBT bloggers/sources (which is part of the reason I repeatedly gave her songs another try). "City Hall" is especially well-liked/pimped out. :))

aaparallel
Getting Stranger
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:19 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Contact:

Re: I found her through my gayness

Postby aaparallel » Sun May 09, 2010 1:59 am

rainspeckled wrote:I discovered Vienna Teng in Nov '08. A writer whose blog I frequent (stalk) wrote a very personal post about the passing of Prop 8 in California. At the end, she linked to "Recessional." It was beautiful. I loved the quiet melancholy of the song, which only added to the mood I was in at that time: somber, pensive, angry, but dispirited. In a way, appreciating music really does depend on your surrounding conditions, at least for me it does. At that time, with my emotions, the song left a strong impression on me. It still remains as my favorite song (and I still can't not picture it as a lesbian relationship, even though I now know it's written from a guy's POV).

Anywayyyy, y'know what I just said about appreciating music? Unfortunately, I have to say that "Recessional" was the only song I liked from Vienna for months. D: I eventually got drawn into the jazziness of the third album though, and the rest went on from there. :)

(You know, Vienna has a pretty sizable LGBT fanbase. I've come across Vienna several times since then from other LGBT bloggers/sources (which is part of the reason I repeatedly gave her songs another try). "City Hall" is especially well-liked/pimped out. :))


Welcome to the forum, rainspeckled! I love the "City Hall" reference in your name :)

What's great about Vienna's music is that the songs can touch many different people in different ways. They can be just for easy listening, but can also (and usually) spark thoughful analysis and discussion. I'm glad you gave her songs another try...I have to play them for my sister, who likes a couple, but is nowhere as obsessed as I am :D. What other songs do you like?
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

rainspeckled
Howdy, Stranger!
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 12:37 am
Location: California

Re: I found her through my gayness

Postby rainspeckled » Sun May 09, 2010 7:24 am

aaparallel wrote:
rainspeckled wrote:I discovered Vienna Teng in Nov '08. A writer whose blog I frequent (stalk) wrote a very personal post about the passing of Prop 8 in California. At the end, she linked to "Recessional." It was beautiful. I loved the quiet melancholy of the song, which only added to the mood I was in at that time: somber, pensive, angry, but dispirited. In a way, appreciating music really does depend on your surrounding conditions, at least for me it does. At that time, with my emotions, the song left a strong impression on me. It still remains as my favorite song (and I still can't not picture it as a lesbian relationship, even though I now know it's written from a guy's POV).

Anywayyyy, y'know what I just said about appreciating music? Unfortunately, I have to say that "Recessional" was the only song I liked from Vienna for months. D: I eventually got drawn into the jazziness of the third album though, and the rest went on from there. :)

(You know, Vienna has a pretty sizable LGBT fanbase. I've come across Vienna several times since then from other LGBT bloggers/sources (which is part of the reason I repeatedly gave her songs another try). "City Hall" is especially well-liked/pimped out. :))


Welcome to the forum, rainspeckled! I love the "City Hall" reference in your name :)

What's great about Vienna's music is that the songs can touch many different people in different ways. They can be just for easy listening, but can also (and usually) spark thoughful analysis and discussion. I'm glad you gave her songs another try...I have to play them for my sister, who likes a couple, but is nowhere as obsessed as I am :D. What other songs do you like?


Thank you. :) The "rain-speckled hair" line is probably my favorite line from Vienna. Other songs I like? Haha, I'm pretty sure I'd have to list almost all her songs to answer that question, though "City Hall," "Pontchartrain," "Kansas," and "Harbor" are pretty high up on the list.

Also: hey there! *waves* I'm from San Jose too! :D

aaparallel
Getting Stranger
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:19 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Contact:

Re: I found her through my gayness

Postby aaparallel » Sun May 09, 2010 7:59 am

rainspeckled wrote:Also: hey there! *waves* I'm from San Jose too! :D


Awesome! Are you planning to go to her SF concerts at Yoshi's and/or the Santa Cruz concert at the Kuumbwa Jazz Center?!
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

Fred
Tengster
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:55 am
Location: NY metro area

Re: I found her through my gayness

Postby Fred » Sun May 09, 2010 7:19 pm

rainspeckled wrote:...and I still can't not picture it as a lesbian relationship, even though I now know it's written from a guy's POV...

Hi, rainspeckled. Welcome! :D
I think that's a perfectly reasonable reading of the lyrics as written. Art plays in the mind of the recipient, and gains its meaning there. Vienna clearly understands this; she has said in various interviews that she writes her songs to be taken on more than one level, which implies that they depend on the listener to supply meaning to some extent. My wife and (straight) daughter accompanied me to my first Vienna concert, where she played Recessional and City Hall back to back; after the show they asked me if Vienna was lesbian, so the lyrics clearly hit them the same way they hit you. Vienna must have realized that programming Recessional with City Hall would encourage that interpretation of Recessional's lyrics, so she must be comfortable with that lyrical ambiguity. Nothing wrong with that. (Reminds me of another favorite singer of mine, Dar Williams, who gathered a large LGBT following early in her career based on some of her lyrics, and left her own orientation publicly ambiguous for years, before eventually declaring herself straight in print.) BTW your faves list is scarily similar to mine. I regret having discovered Vienna's music just *after* the Green Caravan (i.e., Dreaming Through the Noise) Tour, during which, had I been on board, I might have heard Pontchartrain live any number of times. And I share with you a soft spot for the jazziness of Dreaming Through the Noise.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

rainspeckled
Howdy, Stranger!
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 12:37 am
Location: California

Postby rainspeckled » Sun May 09, 2010 9:03 pm

@aaparallel: Yup, I'm planning to go to the Sunday shows in Yoshi's.

@Fred: Thank you. :] The people of this forum are so friendly. And I agree, much of the music actually happens within the listener's minds. For me, music is strongly associated with imagery and the emotions they evoke (and Vienna's songs always have such beautiful imagery). Once a song is associated with something, it's pretty hard to attach a different meaning to it.

aaparallel
Getting Stranger
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:19 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Contact:

Postby aaparallel » Sun May 09, 2010 9:48 pm

rainspeckled wrote:@aaparallel: Yup, I'm planning to go to the Sunday shows in Yoshi's.


You'll meet Warm Strangers there! Scot, tomcos, kalenabear, wintermoonsnow, Michele...Sadly, I won't be at the Sunday shows. Do me a favor and sing loud and clear during the second to last chorus of "City Hall," when everyone's clapping (if she gets to that one...request it if she doesn't). Have fun! :D
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"


Return to “Vienna's Kitchen”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest