How I was exposed to Vienna Teng

She's a helluva chef. Interpretation, praise, criticism ...

Moderator: Ginny

kellyc
Howdy, Stranger!

How I was exposed to Vienna Teng

Postby kellyc » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:42 am

I've been a fan for nearly two years now...and never thought to join the forum. Shame on me!

Anyway, thought I would introduce myself - I'm Kelly, a mother of two and Marine Corps wife. My oldest son was sung to sleep every night by Vienna songs...some I didn't know the lyrics to but they were so heart-breakingly beautiful that they just seemed fitful for a lullabye.

The first time I ever heard Vienna's music, I was flipping through the channels on a particularly lazy day and came across a dance recital on TV. I love dance so I had to stop and watch. This one group did a routine to 'Passage' that absolutely moved me to tears. I was sitting there crying and had no idea who sang the song I'd just heard. Thank God for the internet. I was able to look up part of the lyrics I remembered and found out who sang the haunting vocal I'd just heard.

After that, I was a die-hard fan and have now introduced many friends and my husband to the beauty of Vienna's music. I found a video of that recital on YouTube! I'm sure everyone has already seen this, but I'll post a link for you anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R1EG-m7ipE

Glad to join a group of devoted fans with excellent musical tastes. Nice to "meet" everyone. :D I'll try not to be a "stranger"...(or is that a good thing?).
~Kelly

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:27 pm

Hi Kelly,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the intro!

Have you had a chance yet to see Vienna play live, too?

scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:02 am

Welcome, Kelly! I'm glad you finally thought to join these forums. :) ~Ginny
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

Digital
Hot Stranger

Postby Digital » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:07 am

Albeit late, welcome to the forums, Kelly.

I find it interesting to hear how people come to Vienna's music. Many are drawn by friends, or hear a song somewhere and are driven to find the source. Personally, a musician friend of mine booked a show with Vienna as the headliner, so I was sort of along for the ride.

Hopefully, Kelly, you'll have a chance to see her live if you haven't already (you didn't say).

greg ralls
Cool Stranger

Postby greg ralls » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:19 pm

i have to thank my friend roger for dragging me out to world cafe live in philly back in october 2005. simply amazing! i think i bought her two cds (at the time) about a week before the show so i could get ready. one of the best concerts i've ever attended - vienna, dina & marika created magic that night.
greg

WintermoonSnow
Warm Stranger

Postby WintermoonSnow » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:46 pm

Back in '04, my high school physiology teacher (a.k.a Alex Wong's Dad) was playing some Cds in class. He played Alex's band at the time, The Animators, and he played Vienna's Waking Hour. At that time, I didn't care much for it, maybe because the class was kinda loud and I couldn't quite hear all the music...but the line "A flower trying to bloom in the snow" always stuck with me. We got to pass around the CD case and I read all the lyrics in the lyrics booklet. Then when I found out The Animators were opening up for Vienna at The Montgomery Theatre ('05), I got tickets. I got to see her practicing and I was totally blown away. I thought "Wow, she has the voice of an angel!" When I actually saw her perform I was even more awestruck. That night I bought both her albums (Waking Hour and Warm Strangers) and asked her to autograph one for me. I've been a huge fan ever since and have been trying to get my friends or anyone I can to listen to her music.

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:45 am

WintermoonSnow wrote:Back in '04, my high school physiology teacher (a.k.a Alex Wong's Dad) was playing some Cds in class.

Wow- that's pretty cool! :> I don't think my high school teachers ever played
CDs in class, but that's partially because CDs I don't think they existed way back then! ;) (Hmm, I also had to explain to Sir Calvin today what a Commodore PET was, also displaying my advanced age - thanks for lunch, C! :)

I did have a friend in college whose 2nd grade teacher was Mrs. Fogerty - mom of two members of Credence Clearwater Revival, so she always played her kids'
latest albums when they came out. I always thought that was pretty cool, too. (Geesh, there I go again, dating myself.... In my defense, this college friend was a few years ahead of me.... ;))

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:44 am

One of my high school teacher played a country CD (Restless Heart's Greatest Hits) before and after class every day. I'm not a huge fan of country, but he got me hooked to that particular CD. :X

WintermoonSnow
Warm Stranger

Postby WintermoonSnow » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:16 am

Scot wrote:(Hmm, I also had to explain to Sir Calvin today what a Commodore PET was, also displaying my advanced age - thanks for lunch, C! :)

I met someone at the McAfee show named Calvin. Is the Calvin you're talking about on the forums?

Scot wrote:I did have a friend in college whose 2nd grade teacher was Mrs. Fogerty - mom of two members of Credence Clearwater Revival, so she always played her kids'
latest albums when they came out. s

Oooh that's really cool :D I think all proud parents would do that. It's a remarkable thing to be able to share what you love with other people, and then those other people share it with more poeple, and it just becomes a long continuous chain.

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:49 am

WintermoonSnow wrote:I met someone at the McAfee show named Calvin. Is the Calvin you're talking about on the forums?

Maybe.

Trialia
Cool Stranger

Postby Trialia » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:10 pm

I got Gravity, Enough To Go By, Harbor and My Medea on a NaNoWriMo writers' music mix during November 2004... fell in love with everything about the songs, and I've never looked back, so to speak. :)
and breathe my breath
just to share the air
that I have known
and to learn
who it is that you see
whose eyes fall half-shut before you
in silence

Dennis0411
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby Dennis0411 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:12 am

I saw the video for Gravity on youtube. Hunted down all the other videos of her I could find. She grew on me with every track till I had to have the albums.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:38 pm

WintermoonSnow wrote:
Scot wrote:I did have a friend in college whose 2nd grade teacher was Mrs. Fogerty - mom of two members of Credence Clearwater Revival, so she always played her kids'
latest albums when they came out. s

Oooh that's really cool :D I think all proud parents would do that. It's a remarkable thing to be able to share what you love with other people, and then those other people share it with more poeple, and it just becomes a long continuous chain.

The Paper Raincoat's drummer's mom sat at the other end of our table at Le Poisson Rouge on Friday. She seemed proud of what her son was doing.

TaliaMuse
Cool Stranger

Postby TaliaMuse » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:51 am

I only just discovered this forum... Shame on me too!! What a great community you all have here! I'm glad to have found you. I guess I was so intrigued by the depth in Vienna's official webpage that I never went beyond it, though so much of her music inspires me to go beyond my comfort zones, looking within myself... for answers, perhaps, but mostly for the questions, to find them and then consider them deeply. I know I love circles, but truly, so much of her music overwhelms my soul with its beauty....

I am a student music therapist from the states, and I live in a community with some phenomenal musicians. We have the privilege of having a piano, organ, 8 guitars (acoustic steel string and classical, as well as an electric), 2 banjos, 2 ukuleles, 2 cungas, a cello, a violin, a mandolin, a doumbek, a bodhran, and several handheld percussion instruments. We all love to jam together, though none of us is all that great at piano or organ - the other instruments come out almost daily. I've been trying to play piano every day now, and I don't find her quite so intimidating as I once did. Vienna has had a large part in that. I wanted to play her music so badly that I worked at it, and became so much more comfortable. Of course, I still have a LONG way to go! :-)

The first time I heard of her, just before Christmas in '07, a friend sent me a link to her myspace. I don't know my way around myspace so well, but I explored briefly. The first song I heard was City Hall, which was mind boggling to me... just powerful and good. Then Passage. I was instantly past being intrigued. This woman has gumption, and empathy beyond words. Her music takes the messages straight to the heart of humanity. Then... ah and I was sitting in an armchair in the living room of a friend who was at work, working on a paper that was overdue... it was more like the hardest paper I had ever written, autobiographical and attempting to write about the only thing I never write about in terms of Existentialism. It took guts to write, but my heart was in it. My heart was also elsewhere. Even as I wrote that 28 page paper, I was letting go, finally moving past all that I was writing about, because my heart was opening to something (someone?) so different and intense... I was ready to live in the present again. The next song was Now Three... and the goosebumps chilled me with such grace that I placed my computer on the floor and listened to it play over and over and over again, and had this incredibly lucid moment, a waking dream, perhaps a vision, which I will never forget. Within that dream, the intensity of emotion, every emotion so that all I could do was feel so much that I wanted to cry and sing and dance and sob and scream and die all at once…

I "woke up" and was alive with everything I had just felt... was feeling...

I'll never forget that. In a moment, in a dream, her music began to change my life. And even still, with the great joy of her 4th album, it is just the beginning.
~*Music is the vernacular of the human soul*~

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:40 pm

TaliaMuse wrote:I "woke up" and was alive with everything I had just felt... was feeling...

Wow.

There's no question that, for some people, music can be a path to a higher level of consciousness. I've had such experiences many times over a long life of listening to music, and find it sad that many other people seem to be immune to this effect. Bach's music works particularly well for me, but so does some popular music, including Vienna's. (I can get totally lost in Pontchartrain; it just seems to go by too fast.) In this respect, it would be very interesting to hear a composition from Vienna that is longer than a pop song. Such apparently exists: her score to the play Sid Arthur, which seems to be a modern re-telling of the life of the Buddha (i.e., Siddhartha). I wonder if that will ever become available in recorded form. It's great that you are a musician; that gives you extra access to the power of music. I'm not a musician (other than with the instrument we all know, the voice) and I envy you that. Anyway, glad to have you with us (I'm new here too).

Return to “Vienna's Kitchen”