No Gringo (Lyrics)

She's a helluva chef. Interpretation, praise, criticism ...

Moderator: Ginny

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:33 am

We were talking about the song No Gringo which if I carefully lay my head flat on a desk and drive a sharp pencil into my eardrum while listening to the song I can actually hear the lyrics change to No Ang Mo but don't try this at home kids, only shape shifters like myself can pull a trick like this.

It is a cool song, so different from any of the rest on all four albums. I love the radical departure from her usual style. I often wonder if she wrote it while in a Mexican Restaurant during one of her birthday celebrations where they put the giant sequin sombrero on her head and everyone sang Happy Birthday in spanish to her (I read somewhere Vienna has a love affair with Mexican food) or did she write it during her stay at old Richard Nixon's stomping grounds out in San Clamente. Something to ask her if she is gracious enough to let us have another Q&A.
Pascal told only half the story. He said man was a thinking reed. What man is, is a thinking reed and a walking genital."

Lirulin
Cool Stranger

Re: No Gringo (Lyrics)

Postby Lirulin » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:14 am

Alya wrote:
oh Chicago don't forget me
as the miles between us grow
keep the maple tree carved with the name of my love
the hills we would sled race down
Lake Michigan stay endless and painted in sky
goodbye

Erm...Chicago doesn't really have hills substantial enough for sledding, as far as I know. It's really pretty much completely flat, topography-wise. Minor point, I know, but it niggles at me every time I listen to the song!

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:06 am

Lirulin wrote:
Alya wrote:
goodbye

Erm...Chicago doesn't really have hills substantial enough for sledding, as far as I know. It's really pretty much completely flat, topography-wise. Minor point, I know, but it niggles at me every time I listen to the song!

I kept thinking about that too! I was thinking, well, there ARE places in the suburb of Hickory Hills (near where I live, Burbank) that are very, very hilly, but that's at least 45 minutes south of the main city. Plus I'm not sure where the grassy hills are, I'm thinking more of the streets. XD
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."

Reileen van Kaile
http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:37 am

Reileen wrote:
Lirulin wrote:
Alya wrote:
goodbye

I kept thinking about that too! I was thinking, well, there ARE places in the suburb of Hickory Hills (near where I live, Burbank) that are very, very hilly, but that's at least 45 minutes south of the main city. Plus I'm not sure where the grassy hills are, I'm thinking more of the streets. XD

... there's always the roofs of Chicago. IMPROVISATION! :D

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:20 am

Chicago is a very big city and I kind of hear it is windy too, :wink: so maybe there is a grassy park with trees and hills where kids take their sleds.

Needless to say, No Gringo is one of my favorites on the new album.
Pascal told only half the story. He said man was a thinking reed. What man is, is a thinking reed and a walking genital."

Steve
Hot Stranger

Postby Steve » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:27 pm

I still tell people I grew up in Chicago, even though it was in a western suburb. We had sledding hills aplenty. That area has lots of glacial moraine and is surprisingly hilly, so I don't have any problem with the image Vienna chose.

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:10 am

Steve wrote:I still tell people I grew up in Chicago, even though it was in a western suburb. We had sledding hills aplenty. That area has lots of glacial moraine and is surprisingly hilly, so I don't have any problem with the image Vienna chose.

Which suburb are you from? :)

I have heard from another friend of mine (Chicago suburb native) who says that she knows people who get absolutely irate if you say you're from Chicago but you're actually from one of the suburbs, lol. I usually just say "Chicago" 'cause it's an easier reference point, plus I go to college right near the city so I feel like I kind of live there anyway.

Reileen van Kaile

Isiolith
Cool Stranger

Postby Isiolith » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:57 am

I know people (I'm from downstate Illinois and currently reside about two-and-a-half hours south of Chicago) from Chicago who are like that, too. They think that if you're from the 'burbs, you're not a "real" Chicagoan. I say to each his or her own. ;-)

marathonmark
Cool Stranger

Postby marathonmark » Tue May 25, 2010 12:23 am

Arizona's burning...

Seems prophetic now.

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Reporting on the behemoth blizzard that swept through Chicago (and other parts of the Midwest) yesterday/today, the local news showed footage of some folks making the best of the weather by going sledding down some hills in their area (can't remember exactly where). Alas, there are no hills in my area...

Reileen van Kaile

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:56 am

Reileen wrote:Reporting on the behemoth blizzard that swept through Chicago (and other parts of the Midwest) yesterday/today, the local news showed footage of some folks making the best of the weather by going sledding down some hills in their area

Maybe we can say the entire album is framed in a big sci-fi fictional world/alternate reality.

You start with the cover, where she's leaving that brown dead place to go to the green inland territory.

In this world, The Last Snowfall is happening, (well, maybe that part's the world she's leaving...), In Another Life took place in chronological order, Augustine's pronounced correctly, No Gringo, Radio, and Watershed are really happening, there's hills in Chicago, and the area of St. Stephen's Cross really has a world-altering event taking place.

There. Inconsistencies with our reality are all explained away now!

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:29 pm

.........the lyrics of No Gringo have a similar reflection of a passage from a very good book I am reading at the moment:
God saying, here it is, the new Eden, and it is yours because you the Lordly Westerners, the fierce Caucasian-Gentile-Visigoths, believed in me and the outlandish Jewish Event even though you were nowhere near it and had to hear the news of it from strangers. But you believed and so I gave it all to you, gave you Israel and Greece and science and art and the lordship of the earth, and finally even gave you the new world which I blessed for you. And all you had to do was pass one little test, which was surely child's play for you because you had already passed the big one. One little test:
here's a helpless man in Africa, all you have to do is not violate him. That's all
One little test: you flunk!

Just an outstanding book. So much insight.................

Return to “Vienna's Kitchen”