Nothing Without You

She's a helluva chef. Interpretation, praise, criticism ...

Moderator: Ginny

rahau
Even Stranger

Nothing Without You

Postby rahau » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:47 am

This is my favorite of her new songs. For a couple of reasons.

Two years ago, I moved in to my new house in Oakland. Great place - hardwood floors, a fireplace, wonderful Craftsman architecture. Best of all, my back porch faces west, and has a terrific view of downtown Oakland and southern San Francisco.

Over the years, I've written some really bad poetry. One night, shortly after I moved in, I was standing on my back porch, looking at the thousands of lights from both cities. I sat down at my computer, and wrote a poem along the lines of "Among the many lights/which one is yours?"

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your poetic tastes), my hard drive crashed a few weeks later, taking the poem into oblivion. Probably an act of mercy.

A few months later, I attended Vienna's February '05 performance at Stanford. It was the first time I heard "Nothing Without You." Man, it just ripped me to shreds. Quietly beautiful, understated, deceptively simple ... and devastating. She said everything I was trying to say, and said it better. (At that moment, I was everlastingly grateful that I am not trying to make my living as a singer/songwriter.)

The last time I heard it was during her performance at the Shattuck Down Low in Berkeley. At that time, I was having a bad case of writer's block. Once again, "Nothing Without You" really got to me. After the concert, I went home, fired up my computer, and completely rewrote a chapter of my book. In this particular chapter, the protagonist tells how "it's the quiet nights that break me."

Thanks, Vienna, for knocking me out of my latest case of "Drought". Owe you one.
Last edited by rahau on Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

darthscsi
Warm Stranger

Re: Nothing Without You

Postby darthscsi » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:09 pm

rahau wrote:It was the first time I heard "Nothing Without You." Man, it just ripped me to shreds.

Yea, this one left me wanting to curl up in the corner. It brought tears to my eyes and still haunts me.

wolding
Warm Stranger

Nothing Without You

Postby wolding » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:06 am

There are some live recordings that I like a lot. So I'm happy that it survived the recording / production process really well. I like this song so much!

WandererLA
Howdy, Stranger!

Song Lyrics?

Postby WandererLA » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:31 am

Hey can you post the song lyrics to "Nothing Without You"... I was listening it on my way to work and I'm trying sing it but I can't find the lyrics anywhere.

echeng
Hot Stranger

Re: Song Lyrics?

Postby echeng » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:44 am

WandererLA wrote:Hey can you post the song lyrics to "Nothing Without You"... I was listening it on my way to work and I'm trying sing it but I can't find the lyrics anywhere.
Lyrics are online here: http://viennateng.com/discography/
Eric H Cheng | http://echeng.com
(Note: Cheng. Not Miller! ;-) )

terraphim86
Warm Stranger

Postby terraphim86 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:20 pm

Does anyone remember a recording of "Nothing Without You" that Vienna recorded on guitar, using what she joking called the "clothespin technique?" I had a recording of it, but lost it when my computer crashed. :( I really loved this version. Does anyone know where I can buy it/track it down?

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:53 pm

If my memory serves me right, you want the recording from this show:

http://www.archive.org/details/VT_20051215

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:39 am

I like that guitar version and I also liked the Reggae version of The Tower.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Ang Mo
Tengster

Re: Nothing Without You

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:34 am

I had my car broken into and a bunch of CD's were stolen. I thought I had lost my "Dreaming through the Noise" CD during the theft but I had actually put the CD in a different CD jacket and vice versa so when I thought I was going to be listening to this other band I open the case and there is "Dreaming through the Noise" I think "Nothing Without You" is the best track on the album although I really like City Hall, Blue Caravan, and One Bedroom/One Bath. It had been a while since I had listened to this album and I don't know if it is because I am much older or my mood or mindset has changed, but it is really good music. An enjoyable album to listen too when you are on a long drive.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Return to “Vienna's Kitchen”