Talk with the staff. Website comments, suggestions, generous donations.

Moderators: Michele, Eric

Chainlink
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby Chainlink » Sat Jun 07, 2003 5:26 pm

Is anyone else having problems uploading avatars..? Or is anyone trying to upload an avatar or am I the only one?
ahoy mateys!

tontamoo
Warm Stranger

Postby tontamoo » Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:43 am

Why don't you just try linking to the image instead of uploading it? Upload your avatar to a server that allows remote image linking, then link to it here in the forum.

Chainlink
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby Chainlink » Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:26 am

do i have to pay for this server? I dunno...I thought the whole point of uploading an avatar was to be able to upload the avatar...I didn't want to have to go through all the extra trouble.
ahoy mateys!

tontamoo
Warm Stranger

Postby tontamoo » Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:00 pm

Some free servers that offer remote image linking are Homestead and Tripod UK. I don't think Homestead is offering free membership anymore, but I use my account from a long time ago. Tripod UK (http://www.lycos.co.uk) offers 50 MB with unlimited bandwidth for free. That is more than enough. I just upload my avatars into a misc. folders while I use the rest of my allotment for my websites. I am sure there are other sites that offer free space with RIL, but I haven't looked up any recently because I am quite satisfied with the one I have right now.

A few minutes later....
I did a quick search, and ezboard has a fairly comprehensive list of sites that offer what you are looking for. I cannot guarantee how up to date they are, so be sure to read the rules for every website. Here is the link.

<a href='http://beta.ezboard.com/fezboardfrm73.showMessage?topicID=57.topic' target='_blank'>http://beta.ezboard.com/fezboardfrm73.show...opicID=57.topic</a>

Alethia Su
Cool Stranger

Postby Alethia Su » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:38 pm

General question about avatars, and please don't laugh: How do you know what the pixel size of an image is when it's a JPEG? Or any type of image, for that matter; I'm completely clueless. If you know, post ASAP, because I have an avatar or two that I want to try out...Thanks!
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.<br>-Douglas Adams

tontamoo
Warm Stranger

Postby tontamoo » Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:08 am

If you are viewing a picture online and are using Windows then right click the image, select "properties", and it will say so in the dimensions.

If it is in your computer, then Windows XP is very versatile. They pretty much display all of the information. It should say the pixel size when you look at the information for the image.

Personally I just use APS (Adobe Photoshop) to create the avatars so I set the canvas to the right pixel size to begin with.

Hope that helped.

Alethia Su
Cool Stranger

Postby Alethia Su » Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:27 pm

:( Sorry, but I use Macs...Thanks for helping anyway, though! :D And I'll figure it out eventually...I just hope I get it before my poor computer explodes...

Eric
Getting Stranger

Postby Eric » Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:03 am

Alethia Su wrote::( Sorry, but I use Macs...Thanks for helping anyway, though! :D And I'll figure it out eventually...I just hope I get it before my poor computer explodes...

Hey Alethia -

Are you using OS X or OS 9?

Eric the fellow Mac-user. ;)
- Eric Miller: occasional forum admin, occasional webmaster -

Alethia Su
Cool Stranger

Postby Alethia Su » Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:54 am

OS X, the all-famous JAGUAR! :D Power to Mac-users! Still haven't figured out the avatar sitchy-ashun, but I'm getting there!

~Alethia

Eric
Getting Stranger

Postby Eric » Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:13 am

Yay Mac users! Yeah, we know where it's at, yo. I got a preview copy of <a href='http://www.apple.com/macosx/panther/' target='_blank'>Panther</a> recently. It's pretty spiffy.

So ... I finally got around to checking the IPB software docs and rummaging through the admin control panels and it does seem to be the case that you can't upload to our server. It's not just that we're configured not to allow it. Which is odd, since the avatar editing page seems to suggest that you can.

Anyway, if any of you have an avatar and no webspace anywhere, email it to me (eric@viennateng.com) and I'll put it on our server and tell you what to put in the avatar URL field.

Also, Alethia -

Check out <a href='http://lemkesoft.com/en/graphcon.htm' target='_blank'>Graphic Converter</a>. It's shareware, but you can use it for free. Open a picture in it and then go to the Picture menu and choose "Show Information." It'll tell you your image's dimensions. Also I think Internet Explorer used to show a pic's dimensions in the title bar if you opened a jpeg in a browser window. Not sure if it still does.

HTH
:)
- Eric Miller: occasional forum admin, occasional webmaster -

Alethia Su
Cool Stranger

Postby Alethia Su » Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:03 pm

Lucky you, to have Panther! How did you get a preview copy? I'm jealous... :P Just kidding!

I looked at Graohic Converter--seems very spiffy! Now to get around to downloading it. I can be lazy about that kind of thing...for example, I'll send you an avatar as soon as I get my e-mail up and running correctly, since my provider was just bought out. I'll get around to it sometime. Really, I will.

~Alethia

:D

Return to “VT.com Machine Room”