Observations on the new site. V5 or whatever.

Talk with the staff. Website comments, suggestions, generous donations.

Moderators: Michele, Eric

Fred
Tengster

Observations on the new site. V5 or whatever.

Postby Fred » Sun May 19, 2013 4:46 pm

Hurray for the new viennteng.com site, 2013 edition!

As with all new things, I noticed some issues. Some could be browser stuff on my end, but some of them are for sure real.

The VTlog (blog item #3) demands Flash on Android, and Android no longer supports Flash (which is good, of course). Seems to have the same problem on iOS.

The cloned-and-updated Bio has an anachronistic quip from Vienna about Wikipedia using a pic of her with a guitar but she's only played one on stage twice. Of course she's a guitar hero now.

Making almost the whole site responsive to different platforms including mobile is excellent. A Facebook friend tells me that there is a server-side plug-in for phpBB that would do the same for the forum.

The disappearance of the scrapbook was an inevitable recognition of what's already happened. Moving the Facebook feed to the front page might ameliorate that. BTW adding the Facebook feed was a really good idea.

Also noticed that although the comment links on blog entries appear live, they don't work, or are disabled, or I have a Firefox issue; not sure which. I don't see any comments from others, so I'm guessing they are either disabled or dysfunctional and it's not just me.

Really great job by all involved! It's visually stunning! Thanks!

Fred

PS This is in the nature of advice to other users rather than a request. The old site (v4.viennateng.com) now contains a bunch of broken internal jump links caused by address relocation of the target pages. If you just manually add "v4." at the beginning of the url in the address line of the missing page when the 404 error message comes up, you get to the page you want.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Michele
Strange

Re: Observations on the new site. V5 or whatever.

Postby Michele » Mon May 20, 2013 6:07 pm

Thanks for the list, Fred! Most of it is up to Vienna to change or fix, but I can look into the comment link not working (it's for every browser) and fixing up v4.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Mon May 20, 2013 6:53 pm

Michele wrote:Thanks for the list, Fred! Most of it is up to Vienna to change or fix, but I can look into the comment link not working (it's for every browser) and fixing up v4.

Well, none of it is worth Vienna's time while she's recording, that's for sure. It's all rainy day stuff. Beautiful site. :)
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:06 pm

It appears to me that most (4 out of the 5) of the streaming music links on the home page are not functioning. Is there any way those can be fixed? I tried all five this morning and the only one I can get to work is Harbor.

I'm really trying to push the Charlotte show, of course, and in encouraging people to buy tickets I am trying to refer those who are unfamiliar with her music to check the internet. One place I commonly refer them to is this website. But I've been getting reports back that the music wouldn't play, so I thought I'd check myself.

Thanks!
Chris

Return to “VT.com Machine Room”