New User Spam :-(

Talk with the staff. Website comments, suggestions, generous donations.

Moderators: Michele, Eric

chigaijin
Warm Stranger

New User Spam :-(

Postby chigaijin » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:54 am

Any ideas on how to stop the spam? The spambot defense question has changed since I originally signed up several years ago, but it looks like it's leaking again.

Of course, if I were writing spambots, I would have them check a central database for known answers to questions, in which case this'll get fixed as soon as someone notices our lovely forum isn't working for their not-so-lovely bots. I would say to have another Vienna-related question, but it's always a battle between "new fans who don't know much about her / the music yet" and "things that are trivial to Google".

No one likes CAPTCHAs, but maybe we need a slightly more difficult one here. This one is cute and doesn't seem like it'll hurt too much. Still crackable, sure, but perhaps a bit less typical? (At least for now...)

(These offenders wouldn't happen to all have the same IP address, would they? No, that would make it too easy.)

Michele
Strange

Re: New User Spam :-(

Postby Michele » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:34 pm

Actually, I find the new version of the forum software's a lot better. I have much less to delete lately. I just didn't have internet access for the past couple of days. :mrgreen:

It looks like I can set up more than one question that randomly gets asked on signup, so I might toss a few different ones in there and see how that works out...

chigaijin
Warm Stranger

Re: New User Spam :-(

Postby chigaijin » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:50 am

Thanks as always for keeping the site in good working order!

Return to “VT.com Machine Room”