Spambot alert

Talk with the staff. Website comments, suggestions, generous donations.

Moderators: Michele, Eric

shawn
Hot Stranger

Spambot alert

Postby shawn » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:54 pm

We seem to be getting a lot of visits from spambots in the various forums here in the last week or so. Some of them are pretty good at disguising themselves, but when there's a link in the signature having nothing to do with VT, that's a good sign of a post (and poster) that shouldn't be here. Typically they're one-line posts, often times (but not always) posting to a very old thread. Might help if the mod(s) could do some housecleaning, to keep the forums from becoming too cluttered with this junk. Thanks!

Fred
Tengster

Re: Spambot alert

Postby Fred » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:12 pm

shawn wrote:We seem to be getting a lot of visits from spambots in the various forums here in the last week or so. Some of them are pretty good at disguising themselves, but when there's a link in the signature having nothing to do with VT, that's a good sign of a post (and poster) that shouldn't be here. Typically they're one-line posts, often times (but not always) posting to a very old thread. Might help if the mod(s) could do some housecleaning, to keep the forums from becoming too cluttered with this junk. Thanks!

Yeah, I've noticed too. And yeah, they are slicker than they used to be. Mods on these forums are pretty prompt about killing them, and the bot "user". When I see one I generally call it to the attention of the specific mod for the forum in question. Since they are good anyway, I'm probably just bothering them, but if I catch something they miss, that's for the best. I've seen the wreckage of other forums where this stuff gets out of hand, so it's a real credit to our mods and admins that things are so tightly managed here. We all owe them a debt of gratitude.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:20 pm

I see them, sometimes I'm just running a little behind is all. No need to report. Thanks as always for keeping vigilant!

Return to “VT.com Machine Room”