Warm Strangers songbook now available

Talk with the staff. Website comments, suggestions, generous donations.

Moderators: Michele, Eric

marathonmark
Cool Stranger
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 7:02 pm

Postby marathonmark » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:14 pm

I'm more of an (advanced) beginner, so I don't classify any of the songs as "easy" for me. :)

But I enjoy trying to learn what I can, and as others have pointed out, Anna Rose is among the simplest and quickest to learn - so that's where I've started.

I'm looking for some help from anyone who is willing...

I'm not too good with figuring out fingering, and while I know what is "best" varies from person to person, I'd like to know what others have used for fingering for the right hand...

From where the words begin on page one through the word "freely" in the chorus on the second line of page two.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Mark

Reileen
Total Teng-Head
Posts: 518
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:47 am
Location: Grand Chokmah
Contact:

Postby Reileen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:36 am

marathonmark wrote:I'm looking for some help from anyone who is willing...

I'm not too good with figuring out fingering, and while I know what is "best" varies from person to person, I'd like to know what others have used for fingering for the right hand...

From where the words begin on page one through the word "freely" in the chorus on the second line of page two.

Was there any particular aspect of the section that was giving you issues? I'm just curious because that seemed like one of the simpler parts to me. Primarily I just move my thumb up or down the keyboard as necessary to match the notes.

Two main problem areas I noticed:

1) "wondering eyes" - My fingering: 5 3 1 5 3 1.

2) "Anna Rose" - My fingering: 1 2 4 1 4 2 1 5 3 2.

Does that help any?
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."


Reileen van Kaile
http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

marathonmark
Cool Stranger
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 7:02 pm

Postby marathonmark » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:12 am

Reileen wrote:
marathonmark wrote:I'm looking for some help from anyone who is willing...

I'm not too good with figuring out fingering, and while I know what is "best" varies from person to person, I'd like to know what others have used for fingering for the right hand...

From where the words begin on page one through the word "freely" in the chorus on the second line of page two.

Was there any particular aspect of the section that was giving you issues? I'm just curious because that seemed like one of the simpler parts to me. Primarily I just move my thumb up or down the keyboard as necessary to match the notes.

Two main problem areas I noticed:

1) "wondering eyes" - My fingering: 5 3 1 5 3 1.

2) "Anna Rose" - My fingering: 1 2 4 1 4 2 1 5 3 2.

Does that help any?


Thanks, Reileen. I appreciate your response. It does help a lot.

Yes, those were the most difficult areas for me. I've been using the same fingering as you except the last three, which I fingered 5 4 2.

I also have been mostly moving the thumb as you described.

I agree that it is pretty simple (for Vienna's songs), but I have no real training at playing and it's a bit of a struggle for me at times to find the best fingering. But from the sounds of it, I've been doing alright on this song so far! :)

The one other part that's a little challenging for me is "eyes where I see..", just after the 5-3-1 on "wondering". How have you fingered that part?
Last edited by marathonmark on Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reileen
Total Teng-Head
Posts: 518
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:47 am
Location: Grand Chokmah
Contact:

Postby Reileen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:18 am

"eyes where I" - 2 1 2 3 1

:)
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."




Reileen van Kaile

http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

marathonmark
Cool Stranger
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 7:02 pm

Postby marathonmark » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:43 am

Thanks again. It's very nice of you to help me out.

I was using...

4 1 2 4 1

and it felt a little uncomfortable.

I'll try yours and see how it goes.

pzimmerman
Howdy, Stranger!
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:55 pm

Postby pzimmerman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:56 pm

My copy of the sheetmusic book is out of order-- it skips the first few pages of Hope on Fire, and then they're reprinted close to the back of the book.

Does anyone else have an out of sync copy like this? Can we exchange them to get one in the correct order?

Michele
Strange
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2003 1:11 am
Location: Exit 47

Postby Michele » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:46 am

pzimmerman wrote:My copy of the sheetmusic book is out of order-- it skips the first few pages of Hope on Fire, and then they're reprinted close to the back of the book.

Does anyone else have an out of sync copy like this? Can we exchange them to get one in the correct order?


I just checked, but my copy is fine. If you ordered through the merch store, you can contact their customer service for help. If you got the book at a show, you can check with Vienna's manager, Amy. She's currently gone to SXSW, but should be able to help you after she gets back and gets caught up. Her e-mail address is on the Contact page. If the pages would flow properly, you could also try removing the staples, and rearrange it...?


Return to “VT.com Machine Room”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest