Artist preference for where we buy the new CD?

Talk with the staff. Website comments, suggestions, generous donations.

Moderators: Michele, Eric

milesferg
Howdy, Stranger!

Artist preference for where we buy the new CD?

Postby milesferg » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:21 am

Is there a preference to where we purchase the upcoming CD? I notice we can pre-order both on Vienna's site as well as Amazon. Is it better to order on the site (e.g. more of the money actually goes to the artist) or to order on Amazon and boost the sales rank? I just wonder if the artist has any preference.

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Re: Artist preference for where we buy the new CD?

Postby roofboy179 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:30 am

milesferg wrote:Is there a preference to where we purchase the upcoming CD? I notice we can pre-order both on Vienna's site as well as Amazon. Is it better to order on the site (e.g. more of the money actually goes to the artist) or to order on Amazon and boost the sales rank? I just wonder if the artist has any preference.

... I for one bought a copy already, pre ordered one off amazon, and preordered one off her site. I also am going to buy one at the CD store when in comes out and one at her concert in April.

As for a preference, i wouldnt know. sorry x]

Digital
Hot Stranger

Postby Digital » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:04 am

Usually, the best place to buy a CD is at a concert, as the artist tends to get more of the money that way. However, you also have to be aware of which venues take a cut of CD sales, as that can reduce the amount that the artist receives. If you have the option, always buy the CD direct from the artist at a show where the venue doesn't take a cut.

For an artist like Vienna, she should be counting CD sales at shows in her soundscan numbers, which should count toward the units sold. Amazon's rankings only show the numbers for Amazon, not for the total album sales.

Return to “VT.com Machine Room”