New Album Leaked to Youtube?

Talk with the staff. Website comments, suggestions, generous donations.

Moderators: Michele, Eric

Nemo
Howdy, Stranger!

New Album Leaked to Youtube?

Postby Nemo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:40 am

Hi

Apologies if this is the wrong place, but I thought I ought to inform someone of this, just in case... The entire Inland Territory album is on Youtube. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure it is album quality, not live performances.

It seems a bit odd... If the album was going to be released on Youtube early, surely it would be under Vienna Teng's channel (which it is not), and... well, if the album is coming out in April, this is awfully early!

If the album was supposed to be released on Youtube, then ignore this. :P I thought it worthwhile to bring it to your attention, just in case, so that the issue can be dealt with, if this was not supposed to happen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qw92zAZE10

...'course, if it was supposed to happen, then yay. <3
Cheers,
Nemo.

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:57 am

These are, indeed, the album recordings. I'm going to take a guess that a username called "misterDgr", claiming to be a Student from Greece, did not have the blessing of Vienna Teng or Amy Cox to post these. :(

I bet that the guy got the recordings either from purchasing the CD (the European one that has in fact been officially released in Europe), or from the previous leak via that flash player... and he obviously thinks it's his right to post them. (We'll see whether this is disputed. It offends me, but it's not my work.)

On the other hand, I have no idea where he got the pictures! Which are pretty good pictures of Vienna... and as far as I can tell didn't come from scanning the album artwork... so who knows... maybe this came in some bizarre way from a back door of an official channel?

To me the real tragedy here is not that people could get exposed to Vienna's music... but that if these "videos" are left up, I'd bet that many people would just accept this inferior sound quality and never buy the CD and discover how how good the songs actually sound if they are listened to the way they were meant to be (in full stereo uncompressed CD quality)!
Last edited by dbeattie on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nemo
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby Nemo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:10 am

dbeattie wrote:These are, indeed, the album recordings. I'm going to take a guess that a username called "misterDgr", claiming to be a Student from Greece, did not have the blessing of Vienna Teng or Amy Cox to post these. :(

Undoubtedly, the guy got the recordings either from purchasing the CD (the European one that has in fact been officially released in Europe), or from the previous leak via that flash player... and he obviously thinks it's his right to post them. (We'll see whether this is disputed. It offends me, but it's not my work.)

To me the real tragedy here is not that people could get exposed to Vienna's music... but that if these "videos" are left up, I'd bet that many people would just accept this inferior sound quality and never buy the CD and discover how how good the songs actually sound if they are listened to the way they were meant to be.

Ah, I see. I didn't realize it had been released in Europe... that might explain it. Thanks for the info!

You're right, it would be a tragedy if people decided they were satisfied with these versions... I hope, though, that people will still purchase the CD. I would like to think that Vienna has a loyal fan base, who would buy her CD, whether it is on Youtube or not. From what I have seen, her fans seem very faithful. When you fall in love with Vienna Teng's music... You fall hard, and you're hooked for life. ;P I can't wait until April! <3

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:29 am

Incidentally, Vienna Teng's official youtube channel does have some live concert videos of Inland Territory songs, recently and officially posted... along with her music video for Gravity. :) Now this is pretty fun!

http://www.youtube.com/user/viennateng

micro
Hot Stranger

Postby micro » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:37 pm

dbeattie wrote:<snip>

On the other hand, I have no idea where he got the pictures! Which are pretty good pictures of Vienna... and as far as I can tell didn't come from scanning the album artwork... so who knows... maybe this came in some bizarre way from a back door of an official channel?

<snip>

Those pics are from Klaorman's photo shoot w/ Vienna which can be found in this thread.
We have previously seen some scattered postings of the first three cds on youtube. Hopefully folks will buy the cd after watching youtube.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:17 pm

Vienna, her management, and Rounder seem to have been very tolerant of posting her released material in the past, but imho this is beyond the Pale, unless it is an authorized "viral marketing" campaign, which I doubt. Otherwise, this is material not yet released in the US and posted on a US web site, and I would expect Rounder (and Vienna) would want it taken down. Has anybody directly contacted her management or Rounder about it?

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:25 pm

I just private-messaged Amy @ Deep South pointing her to this thread, in case she hadn't seen it yet.

I also noticed on YouTube that there were 3 Inland Territory videos posted by a username "mabrockmann" from Germany. He put a lot more effort into them, essentially creating a kind of video out of the songs (with lyrics and some special effects), which shows some artistic skill, and only has posted 3 out of 12 songs, and the video description for each, in my opinion, shows proper respect to Vienna, and thus is much less offensive (to me) than what "misterDgr" posted.

Aschefeder
Cool Stranger

Postby Aschefeder » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:27 pm

dbeattie wrote:Incidentally, Vienna Teng's official youtube channel does have some live concert videos of Inland Territory songs, recently and officially posted... along with her music video for Gravity. :) Now this is pretty fun!

http://www.youtube.com/user/viennateng

She (Teng or whoever manages that profile) has also favorited a fan-made (= unofficial) music video using the full-length album version of "Gravity", so I guess they aren't really that "strict" with these kind of things (after all it's kind of an advertisement, I bought her music after I heard some of her songs on YouTube), but uploading the whole new album in full length and in (more or less) good quality is indeed pretty exaggerated.

I did mention this thread in the "Channel Comments" of these two profiles, but I'm not sure if this will help.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:35 pm

dbeattie wrote:I just private-messaged Amy @ Deep South pointing her to this thread, in case she hadn't seen it yet.

Great; that's what I would have done had nobody answered. Thank you.

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:23 pm

I've just been informed that these videos (The recorded versions, not Vienna's Live versions from IT) have been removed from YouTube :]

Return to “VT.com Machine Room”