Inland Territory CD/Tour

Talk with the staff. Website comments, suggestions, generous donations.

Moderators: Michele, Eric

Folkfan
Warm Stranger

Inland Territory CD/Tour

Postby Folkfan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:04 pm

Maybe forum members can post any unique and effective ways to promote Vienna's music? Requests to radio stations, emailing venues, requesting Vienna perform there, emailing your local music critics, and newspapers, to make them aware that Vienna is performing in their town, etc.....posting on blogs about Inland Territory as one of the best CD's of 2009, etc...

Please submit any ideas, and definitely think out of the box on these.....Radio stations do respond, esp. if there is a good volume of requests for certain music. Newspapers, magazines are always looking for good stories, suggestions. I've read some great reviews of DTTN on Amazon and other websites...I think those help...come on..any ideas from all you beautiful, intelligent forum members?

Fred
Tengster

Re: Inland Territory CD/Tour

Postby Fred » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:33 am

Folkfan wrote:
Maybe forum members can post any unique and effective ways to promote Vienna's music? Requests to radio stations, emailing venues, requesting Vienna perform there, emailing your local music critics, and newspapers, to make them aware that Vienna is performing in their town, etc.....posting on blogs about Inland Territory as one of the best CD's of 2009, etc...

Please submit any ideas, and definitely think out of the box on these.....Radio stations do respond, esp. if there is a good volume of requests for certain music. Newspapers, magazines are always looking for good stories, suggestions. I've read some great reviews of DTTN on Amazon and other websites...I think those help...come on..any ideas from all you beautiful, intelligent forum members?

Idea 1. Post on blogs and forums of good radio stations (terrestrial and web), concert venues, online publications, and other artists (as we discuss "Other Fine Cuisine" here). Unless your tastes are totally random, fans of other artists you like are more likely than average to be potential Vienna fans. Obviously, this means remembering to mention Vienna when it's appropriate, not going off-topic with a Vienna advert, which will only put people off.

Idea 2. Get your friends who are not already fans to go with you to Vienna shows. This helps fill halls *and* make new fans.

Folkfan
Warm Stranger

promotion and CD pre-order question

Postby Folkfan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:55 am

Fred...thanks for the ideas, definitely blogs will help and it's fun to see where Vienna's touring next and try to get friends in that city to attend a show. We have a German exchange student at our school now, and I'm sending him the link to the website, with tour dates. I'll encourage him and his friends to check out a show, hope the venues allow, "all ages".

In regard to pre-ordering "Inland Territory"...I was thinking of ordering it from Amazon.com, but I have tickets for the Somerville Theater show..
I wonder if it's better to order from Amazon, to register the sales of VT's CD, or is it better to buy it at the show? I'd imagine Vienna gets more $$ from sales at the show as opposed to after Amazon takes their cut. Michele, or anyone else have an opinion on this??? thanks

Michele
Strange

Re: promotion and CD pre-order question

Postby Michele » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:17 am

Folkfan wrote:In regard to pre-ordering "Inland Territory"...I was thinking of ordering it from Amazon.com, but I have tickets for the Somerville Theater show..
I wonder if it's better to order from Amazon, to register the sales of VT's CD, or is it better to buy it at the show? I'd imagine Vienna gets more $$ from sales at the show as opposed to after Amazon takes their cut. Michele, or anyone else have an opinion on this??? thanks

I see this question every so often and there doesn't seem to be a real answer...someone else is always getting a cut no matter where you buy it from. How much that percentage is depends on several things, and is different for every venue and sales outlet. From what I've seen (which is extremely limited/I'm downright clueless really) I think it ends up just evening out.

Folkfan
Warm Stranger

Purchasing I.T.

Postby Folkfan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:33 am

Thanks for your response, Michele. I just figured the percentage taken from CD sales may be elevated, dependent on the venue. Even if Amazon's CD price was the same as purchasing it at a show, I'd rather see a larger take-home percentage go back to Vienna, than Amazon. One venue that hosts many performances takes 30% of merch sales, whereas a particular folkfest I attend takes only 10%. I believe there is a way for performers to tally CD sales at shows to include in the statistics for Billboard's top-selling CD's, or Amazon.com's top-sellers. Again....if we encourage sales via Amazon, can we make Inland Territory another top-seller like DTTN?

Fred
Tengster

Re: Purchasing I.T.

Postby Fred » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:38 pm

Folkfan wrote:Thanks for your response, Michele. I just figured the percentage taken from CD sales may be elevated, dependent on the venue. Even if Amazon's CD price was the same as purchasing it at a show, I'd rather see a larger take-home percentage go back to Vienna, than Amazon. One venue that hosts many performances takes 30% of merch sales, whereas a particular folkfest I attend takes only 10%. I believe there is a way for performers to tally CD sales at shows to include in the statistics for Billboard's top-selling CD's, or Amazon.com's top-sellers. Again....if we encourage sales via Amazon, can we make Inland Territory another top-seller like DTTN?

Good point. Making IT an Amazon bestseller is a very good idea. I'll preorder that way. Hope Vienna wouldn't mind signing a CD booklet bought from Amazon rather than at the show. (BTW I wasn't able to make the Caffe Vivaldi shows, so I checked out Le Poisson Rouge where she's playing in NYC in April. Not clear if it's open to <18 or not--I've got a 14 year old daughter to bring!--so I'm going to give them a call. In one place it says 18+, in another place its says <18 ok with guardian.)

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:29 am

Here's something I suggested for DTTN that - I think - is still a good idea:

Chances are, most of us are going to buy more than one copy of IT. I plan to give away at least a couple of copies to friends and family members. If all of us were to purchase at least one copy on Amazon the day of its American release, we could send it to the top of the sales rank.

When WS came out in '05, it climbed to #2 on Amazon. If we can send IT to #1, the powers-that-be in the music industry would really sit up and take notice.

Sound like a plan to you?
Last edited by rahau on Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:45 am

rahau wrote:Here's something I suggested for DTTN that - I think - is still a good idea:

Chances are, most of us are going to buy more than one copy of IT. I plan to give away at least a couple of copies to friends and family members. If all of us were to purchase at least one copy on Amazon the day of its American release, we could send it to the top of the sales rank.

When WS came out in '05, it climbed to #2 on Amazon. If we can sent IT to #1, the powers-that-be in the music industry would really sit up and take notice.

I have 3 copies of DTTN XD

One i bought at Barnes and Nobles... then i bought another at a concert (and she signed it -drool-), and another i got for christmas.

Anywho... I think that Rahau has a really good idea :]

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:03 am

I like the idea of buying copies on Amazon for the American release. Now I just need to find the funds to do that. XD

But I hope everyone follows up on rahau's suggestion!
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."

Reileen van Kaile
http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

arcsol
Warm Stranger

Postby arcsol » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:04 am

by any chance do you know how long it takes for stuff to be shipped to some far-flung country across the ocean? say to the Philippines, land of dismal postal service, somewhat crappy foreign CD selections (i mean come on, no VT? no amy seeley? wtf? XD) and masses zombified with pop manure driven down their throats. if this gig of mine becomes a regular one i *think* i can afford to buy online. and since i'm buying online and paying for freight a tad too much for a single CD, might as well buy everything i can buy right? music sheets, WH, DTTN, IT CDs.. the entire caboodle. so there.
A VT fan from the Philippines?

Do check out the 2014 Vienna Teng PHILIPPINES tour thread!

Drop a line and say hi! Post on the thread, leave a PM if you want, or send an email at marc dot a dot public at gmail dot com so we can make this happen!

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:07 am

rahau wrote:Here's something I suggested for DTTN that - I think - is still a good idea:

When WS came out in '05, it climbed to #2 on Amazon. If we can sent IT to #1, the powers-that-be in the music industry would really sit up and take notice.

I guess somebody will send one to Dave Letterman?

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:53 am

Fred wrote:I guess somebody will send one to Dave Letterman?

You're in New York, Fred - just drop off a copy at the Ed Sullivan Theater! :) [/quote]

Folkfan
Warm Stranger

Amazon orders

Postby Folkfan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:45 am

I agree with Rahau, let's make IT #1!

Samantha
Cool Stranger

Postby Samantha » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:02 am

arcsol wrote:by any chance do you know how long it takes for stuff to be shipped to some far-flung country across the ocean? say to the Philippines, land of dismal postal service, somewhat crappy foreign CD selections (i mean come on, no VT? no amy seeley? wtf? XD) and masses zombified with pop manure driven down their throats. if this gig of mine becomes a regular one i *think* i can afford to buy online. and since i'm buying online and paying for freight a tad too much for a single CD, might as well buy everything i can buy right? music sheets, WH, DTTN, IT CDs.. the entire caboodle. so there.

Living in an even further far-flung country across the ocean known as the land of kangaroos, I can completely empathise with you... I think that if you buy from Amazon.com, you could get the CD within about two weeks, one week if you're lucky. I think you might need to wait up to a month if you order from the VT site (though I'm not speaking from experience)--I've just resigned to the fact that I have to wait aaaaages before anything finds its way Down Under, so I make myself comfortable and just wait.

As for my VT merchandise (WH, WS, DTTN, and the DVD), I basically survived on the generosity of my friends from more fortunate places before splurging on a trip to the US and seeing Vienna live, where I then proceeded to horde her goodies like a rabid fangirl. XD

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:04 am

rahau wrote:
Fred wrote:I guess somebody will send one to Dave Letterman?

You're in New York, Fred - just drop off a copy at the Ed Sullivan Theater! :)

D'Oh! <blush>

Return to “VT.com Machine Room”