Alternative Distribution of Sheet Music

Talk with the staff. Website comments, suggestions, generous donations.

Moderators: Michele, Eric

scyzer
Howdy, Stranger!

Alternative Distribution of Sheet Music

Postby scyzer » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:03 pm

Was it possible to buy the Sheet Music as a PDF file? I love Gravity but Id have doubts of ordering a few sheets of paper from overseas (I live in Australia). That plus I have no idea how long it would take to receive the piece (At the Merch page theres no place to put Country in the shipping/billing address). Anyway if I could purchase sheet music as a PDF file, Id be incredibly grateful...

Now.... if only My Medea was also published ^^....

BTW: My First Post

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:33 pm

Welcome, Scyzer! How did you get introduced to Vienna's music? I don't know the answer to your question as it hasn't come up before. Perhaps Eric or our transcriber knows... ~Ginny
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

Eric
Getting Stranger

Postby Eric » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:06 pm

Unfortunately, I don't know. dbeattie?
- Eric Miller: occasional forum admin, occasional webmaster -

scyzer
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby scyzer » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:07 am

Well it wouldn't be too hard to make it into a PDF File, it would cut shipping costs and increase convenience as well. I'd whip out my VISA right now if I could get the piece as a PDF.

And as for how I got into Vienna's music... AMV's (Anime Music Video) with her songs as the audio tracks. There were two that just captivated me.... and given they were the two that won awards on http://www.animemusicvideos.org Im surprised that her fanbase isn't incredibly incredibly large yet. Oh well, give things time...

BTW: Does anyone mind if I post Rapidshare links for those AMV's?

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:07 pm

I don't mind--go for it! ~Ginny
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

scyzer
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby scyzer » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:14 pm

Okay, anyway if anyone wants me to take these links off (they do have Gravity and My Medea as audio tracks) I'll be happy to oblige (or a mod could always do it). On the other hand, these AMVs are works of art and pay utmost tribute to the songs by Vienna.

Here we go:

http://rapidshare.de/files/32392061/Waking_Hour.avi
http://rapidshare.de/files/32386902/Echoes_of_Haven.avi

Atleast, I think these were done really well...

EDIT: Might have strayed off topic... anyhow... again if I could buy the sheet music as a PDF or a scan Id be ETERNALLY GRATEFUL (Please dont hold me liable on that though....)

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:03 am

I do have the technology to create PDFs from the sheet music. This is, in fact, how I send the sheet music to the publisher--although in that case the pages are paired in weird ways based on 18"x12" paper folded in half and printed on both sides making up the printed sheet music single. (But it would take me really just a couple minutes to re-create all the files in 9"x12" single-sided pages, or a few more minutes to re-format/shrink them to 8.5"x11". Or maybe you have a different paper format in Australia that you would prefer. ;) So my point is, technologically, it's simple from my end.

As a musician myself, I really think professionally printed sheet music singles or books are nicer than printing them myself. The kind of paper that they are (usually) printed on tends to be tougher (approaching card stock) so that they are more durable and stand up on a piano or music stand, resisting both the force of gravity, and the abuse that musicians are likely to put them through. That being said, I do agree that there is a place for downloadable sheet music. You make a good point about international shipping not even being available on the web site. Perhaps somebody can fix that!? (Amy @ Deep South?) And it may be arguably more convenient, and more suited to impatient or impulsive buyers.

As a computer programmer and frequent computer user, I know how easy it is to copy computer files / re-post them / share them via point-to-point file sharing programs such as eMule, etc. This is why typical sites which offer downloadable sheet music will take steps to try to prevent copying. Rather than simply provide a PDF file, digital sheet music is typically distributed with a special plugin (such as Scorch or MusicNotes) which will print the music, and may or may not allow it to be saved to the user's hard drive in a special file format. Also typically, digital sheet music will be watermarked or otherwise altered to include the full name of the purchaser. While this certainly doesn't prevent digital copying (even selling printed sheet music doesn't prevent somebody from scanning it and sending scans across the Internet!, and given the right software or computer savvy, the watermark could be edited out), it discourages re-distribution to some extent and mostly ensures that people who get the digital sheet music actually bought it.

All that being said, I still think that providing digital sheet music for Vienna's songs is a good idea. We could make a decision to just trust Vienna's fans and provide a PDF download after submitting purchasing details. :) Or we could try to work with one of the digital sheet music sites out there such as (but not limited to) MusicNotes. In either case I would need to get both approval, technical, and logistical help from the website people and/or Vienna's management.

scyzer
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby scyzer » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:45 pm

dbeattie wrote:impatient or impulsive buyers

In otherwords myself ^^. Anyway I agree with the point about filesharing, although it wouldn't be that hard for someone just to scan the copies and distribute them if they were mean and evil. Oh well, if theres progress I'll buy it as soon as it goes up. Now.... back to trying to find key changes, chord finding, dominants and diminishes, etc.

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:29 pm

scyzer wrote:Okay, anyway if anyone wants me to take these links off (they do have Gravity and My Medea as audio tracks) I'll be happy to oblige (or a mod could always do it). On the other hand, these AMVs are works of art and pay utmost tribute to the songs by Vienna.

Vienna is happy about these AMVs, about the exposure to her music and her own exposure to the anime used, and has said to keep making 'em.

That said, and keeping in mind that I am not a lawyer, I would personally discourage people to not use DTTN album recordings for them, since the RIAA represents Rounder. Not that I think Vienna would wanna prosecute people, it's just that you never know if the RIAA would be sue happy over something like that. Hopefully she is under the radar enough for them not to care. Vienna still owns the songwriter credit though, so people could use live recordings for those songs if they wanted to.

Enough off topic from me...

scyzer
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby scyzer » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:03 pm

Well as of yet, I have not seen a single AMV artist prosecuted nor threatened over their work.

On another note, any news about the sheet music?

Any update to the merch section? The billing and shipping information is checkout still doesn't allow me to put in the name of my country x.X ... is there no way for me to buy the piece?

Chair Choir
Cool Stranger

Postby Chair Choir » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:09 am

Hey scyzer! nice to see someone else from Aus! I live in Adelaide, and I ordered the sheet music 3 pack a few months ago. I got them about 2 weeks after I ordered them online, so that should answer your inquiry. the sheet music are excellent btw! they definitely worth your money.

scyzer
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby scyzer » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:58 pm

How? Where did you put the word Australia lolz?

Chair Choir
Cool Stranger

Postby Chair Choir » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:07 am

okay, have you clicked purchase for the item that you wish to buy?
after you've done that, go to cart, you'll see a question which asks you where your parcel is destinated for? Out of the three options, US, Canada, and Outside US and Canada, click 'Outside US and Canada'.
Then after you've filled out all the questions on that page, click continue. A new web page will load up and it'll ask you for your postal information eg address, phone number etc etc. And it is on this page where you type out your full postal address and country.

Okay, get me?

scyzer
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby scyzer » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:55 pm

There is no box for country. In shipping information:

First Name:
Last Name:
Street Address:
City:
State:
Zip:
Telephone:
Fax:
Email:

Is all you find. I dont even have a "zip" code...

Chair Choir
Cool Stranger

Postby Chair Choir » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:02 am

Oh... now I see what you mean.... Cause I entered 'South Australia' for my state section which pretty much clarifys everything lol.... but I guess put your state name then comma Australia (eg. New South Wales, Australia) just in case they get confused. good luck with ordering!

Return to “VT.com Machine Room”