Sheet Music Status topic

Talk with the staff. Website comments, suggestions, generous donations.

Moderators: Michele, Eric

Vespertine
Howdy, Stranger!

Re: Sheet Music Status topic

Postby Vespertine » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:02 pm

dbeattie wrote:
Vespertine wrote:I have bought all three available songbooks and they're fantastic! Thank you so much!

Just wondering, what is the update on Inland Territory?

I will be working on the Inland Territory songbook again soon. I actually did most of the work for it back in 2009, but Vienna's songwriting on that album is just so experimental in places, that I was having a hard time figuring out what to do with some of the songs, until I worked my way through Vienna's earlier work. Thus, the publication of Warm Strangers in Dec 2010 and Dreaming Through the Noise in Jan 2012. So now that we've published the first 3 songbooks in order, the 4th seems like less of a stretch in terms of knowing the best way to make sheet music for it. My only problem now is that I'm spending my full time running a business as a free lance computer repairman, so it's hard to find the time to squeeze in the sheet music work. But I am almost to the point of starting it again, and then it should be something I can wrap up in a few months' time considering how much I already did for it three years ago. So I don't have a target date for completion, but if I don't start work on it again within a month from now it will drive me crazy to be away from it for any longer, so I am sure I will start soon.

--David

Thanks for your reply! That's fantastic, I love playing to your transcriptions - they are amazing!

Can't wait for it to be finished!
She's coming apart, right before my eyes.

Tere
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby Tere » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:26 pm

I´ve bought the songbooks "warm strangers" and "Waking hour" online because the songbooks are not available in Germany. Unfortunately the credit card of my mother was cracked during online banking (twice time!)and we have no explanation how this could happened. Because of this it is impossible for us to order online once again.

Is there anyone who has the same problem?

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:47 pm

Tere wrote:I´ve bought the songbooks "warm strangers" and "Waking hour" online because the songbooks are not available in Germany. Unfortunately the credit card of my mother was cracked during online banking (twice time!)and we have no explanation how this could happened. Because of this it is impossible for us to order online once again.

In the States there are a couple of ways we could get around this:
- Some banks offer temporary numbers linked to your account, so you can use that instead of your real one
- We are able to go to the supermarket here and buy gift credit cards, which are paid already and can be used as a real credit card

Are there any of those types of alternate payment available to you? If not, maybe someone here happens to be close by you and can help. I hope you find a way to order!

Tere
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby Tere » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:13 pm

Michele wrote:
Tere wrote:I´ve bought the songbooks "warm strangers" and "Waking hour" online because the songbooks are not available in Germany. Unfortunately the credit card of my mother was cracked during online banking (twice time!)and we have no explanation how this could happened. Because of this it is impossible for us to order online once again.

In the States there are a couple of ways we could get around this:
- Some banks offer temporary numbers linked to your account, so you can use that instead of your real one
- We are able to go to the supermarket here and buy gift credit cards, which are paid already and can be used as a real credit card

Are there any of those types of alternate payment available to you? If not, maybe someone here happens to be close by you and can help. I hope you find a way to order!

Thank you for your mail. How can I contact those banks?
I guess the best option would be, if there is someone here (trustworthy person) who has the sheet and send them by post or publish them as a PDF file on the internet. But I know, thats the illegal way.

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:02 pm

Well, a year later, I've finally updated the status list at the top of this thread... to reflect the fact that the Dreaming Through The Noise sheet music is done and published and for sale. If this comes as a surprise to anyone reading this, it's not too late: go buy it!

I've been working on Inland Territory sheet music again recently. Completed drafts of White Light, Antebellum, In Another Life, and Stray Italian Greyhound have made their way to Vienna for review, and I am working on the rest.

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:36 am

Editing Augustine, Radio, and St. Stephen's Cross.

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:46 am

After a long and challenging day of work on them, Radio and Watershed are now complete, ready to send to Vienna for review after one more round of playability editing.

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:18 am

Editing The Last Snowfall.

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:18 am

I've finally cracked the code of the middle (Spanish-language) section of No Gringo. :D I don't mean the words--those are in the liner notes (and I studied Spanish anyway). No, the challenge with No Gringo is how to get the feel of the accompaniment to be faithful to the song, when making piano-only sheet music with no hand-claps or rhythm guitar mixed in. And I think I got it now. (Yay.) It should be done soon, then. Also I've worked on Grandmother Song recently, and I'm close to being done with that one too. Grandmother Song isn't hard to hear (quite well recorded) but it's going to be interesting finding out which tracks of vocals, accompaniment (will we really publish the solo fiddle, and if so, how do I write fiddle music without making it look more complicated than it is?) and which percussion Vienna decides we should publish.

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:32 pm

I imagine that what you're doing is a bit like deconstructing a very complicated jig saw puzzle and then attempting to put it back together again. I wouldn't know where to begin and I compliment you for making the effort. Just amazing!
Chris

vimica9
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby vimica9 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:01 pm

Any way I can get notified when new sheet music is available for purchase/download? I'm desperate for Antebellum. Living with a Steinway grand piano for the first time in years and would love to try out some of Vienna's music on it.

Have experimented with chords to the song people have posted online, but they're frequently oversimplified and sometimes just wrong. Thanks in advance!

Victoria

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:57 am

Although I haven't updated this status in many months...

FYI, as of November/December 2014, the Inland Territory sheet music is completed in draft form (not publicly available, but it exists on my computer and has been sent to Vienna), according to the instrumentation Vienna and I tentatively agreed on for this album (mostly just piano/voice without any extras). But, it is waiting for Vienna to send me any feedback and/or approval of the drafts.

In the mean time, after a 5-month hiatus of working on Vienna's sheet music, I have started work today on Close to Home.

As anybody reading this forum knows, the entire Aims album is even more experimental and less piano-based than any of her previous work, including her previous album Inland Territory, which is just barely getting complete sheet music, assuming Vienna approves the decisions I made or comes up with better ones. So it's anybody's guess as to whether I'll be able to create something meaningful for some or all of the 11 songs on Aims. Most likely some songs such as In the 99 will never have sheet music. But I will start with what comes easily, and see where it takes me. Close to Home is the 3rd song I've started work on. I also have begun work previously on The Breaking Light and Level Up. So that's 3 out of 11 so far that I've started to attempt, so far. :) To be clear, Vienna has not suggested that Aims will ever get sheet music... so these are just proof-of-concept experiments on my computer to see what happens. If they come out compellingly well, then she may change her mind. Or I may never finish a single one of them because they get lost in the details and in the likely unfeasiblity of sheet music for non-piano-based songs.

vimica9
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby vimica9 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:38 pm

Dbeattie, thanks so much for the update. Looking forward to seeing piano sheet music for Antebellum.

Kalenabear
Warm Stranger

Postby Kalenabear » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:36 pm

DBeattie, thank you for your hard work! Excited to see that things are in motion, even if not officially.

(I really just want the sheet music to Landsailor, maybe sold as a one-off like Gravity was, IIRC. :D )

cjt3007
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby cjt3007 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:25 am

it's been some time since any updates have been posted on this forum. Do we have any new developments? I know Vienna is on tour atm (I saw her live finally!) but I completely s-aced asking about the sheet music.

Return to “VT.com Machine Room”