Sheet Music Status topic

Talk with the staff. Website comments, suggestions, generous donations.

Moderators: Michele, Eric

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:30 am

Finished the transcriptions today for Transcontinental 1:30 a.m. and Now Three. They need some more visual editing, dynamics, and in the case of Transcontinental, some more editing of the rhythm of the piano transcription of the bass part, but otherwise they are complete.

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:57 am

Glad to hear about your progress! :)
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."

Reileen van Kaile
http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

wolding
Warm Stranger

Postby wolding » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:20 am

David, Thanks for your continued efforts! I am happy that the books for the two latest albums will eventually be made available.
Thanks also for your help with Daniel's guitar arrangement for "Nothing Without You" back in 2008. He and I tried to make out the chords from that video. Currently, I've got a guitar student who will enjoy learning that song correctly.

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:05 am

So, within the past couple weeks ago I worked on City Hall a lot, and, more or less finished that (it needs editing now)....

And now I worked on Recessional a lot last week and this week, and more or less finished it too (it needs editing now too)...

So I don't know about the rest of you, but I am not in the habit of juxtaposing those songs together. It was just an accident of trying to work on the music in whatever felt like the easiest order to do it in! Both songs of course, are songs where Vienna sings from a fictitious point of view. In City Hall her point of view seems to be as a gay woman planning to get married in a hilly seaside town. So of course, when transcribing this song, I had to enter all the words and study them very carefully, which of course, put me in that frame of mind myself. In Recessional, I have always assumed, after careful and thorough consideration of the admittedly somewhat cryptic words, that it is written from the point of view of a man, and specifically a man who is, like me, not a womanizer, and remains continually surprised at having found a woman who likes him well enough to take the risk of letting down her guard, trusting him, and eventually loving him! So, let me tell you what a shock it was to come back to working on the transcription for Recessional, while in the "City Hall" frame of mind! Obviously there's nothing in the words of Recessional which tell us plainly the gender of the narrator--any evidence there is is circumstantial (in contrast to the one being spoken about in the song, who we know is a woman)... so the song could be interpreted either way. And I still think I find evidence in the lyrics that he's a man, beyond simply the fact that I can identify with the song. But listening to those two songs back to back, I definitely had to do a double-take and think about it for a while, because the lyrics of Recessional can be ambiguous at times,.... and I thought I would share that experience with you all. ;)

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:49 am

dbeattie wrote:So I don't know about the rest of you, but I am not in the habit of juxtaposing those songs together. It was just an accident of trying to work on the music in whatever felt like the easiest order to do it in! Both songs of course, are songs where Vienna sings from a fictitious point of view. In City Hall her point of view seems to be as a gay woman planning to get married in a hilly seaside town. So of course, when transcribing this song, I had to enter all the words and study them very carefully, which of course, put me in that frame of mind myself. In Recessional, I have always assumed, after careful and thorough consideration of the admittedly somewhat cryptic words, that it is written from the point of view of a man, and specifically a man who is, like me, not a womanizer, and remains continually surprised at having found a woman who likes him well enough to take the risk of letting down her guard, trusting him, and eventually loving him! So, let me tell you what a shock it was to come back to working on the transcription for Recessional, while in the "City Hall" frame of mind! Obviously there's nothing in the words of Recessional which tell us plainly the gender of the narrator--any evidence there is is circumstantial (in contrast to the one being spoken about in the song, who we know is a woman)... so the song could be interpreted either way. And I still think I find evidence in the lyrics that he's a man, beyond simply the fact that I can identify with the song. But listening to those two songs back to back, I definitely had to do a double-take and think about it for a while, because the lyrics of Recessional can be ambiguous at times,.... and I thought I would share that experience with you all. ;)

Funny story I've mentioned before: Vienna played City Hall and Recessional back to back at the first show I saw. Afterward, my wife and daughter, who accompanied me to the show, asked if Vienna was gay, based on the lyrics. Not unreasonable if you assume her songs are written from her own point of view, but try interpreting Homecoming on that basis, LOL. Vienna has also written and spoken of the similar issue of people taking Shasta as an anti-abortion polemic, which was certainly not her intent. Vienna is an observer of life, a writer of 4-minute (give or take) short stories. The only song I can recall her saying was flat-out confessional is Kansas.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:54 pm

Working on Blue Caravan now. I also did a lot of work on Love Turns 40 a couple weeks ago but haven't finished it yet.

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:23 am

Blue Caravan! So much love. :D
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."

Reileen van Kaile

http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:26 pm

shhh. Preorder.

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:22 pm

dbeattie wrote:shhh. Preorder.

Woohoo! :D
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:23 pm

dbeattie wrote:shhh. Preorder.

Congrats on another finished songbook!

Lirulin
Cool Stranger

Postby Lirulin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:26 am

THANK YOU! Dreaming Through the Noise is my favorite album, and I've been anticipating the sheet music ever since... :D

master_burn
Howdy, Stranger!

Re: Sheet Music Status topic

Postby master_burn » Thu May 03, 2012 2:40 am

Maybe you could update your first post with information about when and how one can get the already transcribed songs? It doesn't say anything about it there and I, as maybe everyone else searching for sheet music, am wondering how to get it. - and yes I know there are 2 Books already on sale, but there is still much stuff unreleased ..

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Thu May 03, 2012 8:48 am

master_burn wrote:Maybe you could update your first post with information about when and how one can get the already transcribed songs? It doesn't say anything about it there and I, as maybe everyone else searching for sheet music, am wondering how to get it. - and yes I know there are 2 Books already on sale, but there is still much stuff unreleased ..

All sheet music books, when available, can be purchased on the merch page of this site.
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

Vespertine
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby Vespertine » Wed May 23, 2012 12:40 pm

I have bought all three available songbooks and they're fantastic! Thank you so much!

Just wondering, what is the update on Inland Territory?
She's coming apart, right before my eyes.

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:59 am

Vespertine wrote:I have bought all three available songbooks and they're fantastic! Thank you so much!

Just wondering, what is the update on Inland Territory?

I will be working on the Inland Territory songbook again soon. I actually did most of the work for it back in 2009, but Vienna's songwriting on that album is just so experimental in places, that I was having a hard time figuring out what to do with some of the songs, until I worked my way through Vienna's earlier work. Thus, the publication of Warm Strangers in Dec 2010 and Dreaming Through the Noise in Jan 2012. So now that we've published the first 3 songbooks in order, the 4th seems like less of a stretch in terms of knowing the best way to make sheet music for it. My only problem now is that I'm spending my full time running a business as a free lance computer repairman, so it's hard to find the time to squeeze in the sheet music work. But I am almost to the point of starting it again, and then it should be something I can wrap up in a few months' time considering how much I already did for it three years ago. So I don't have a target date for completion, but if I don't start work on it again within a month from now it will drive me crazy to be away from it for any longer, so I am sure I will start soon.

--David

Return to “VT.com Machine Room”