Sheet Music Status topic

Talk with the staff. Website comments, suggestions, generous donations.

Moderators: Michele, Eric

erries
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby erries » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:44 pm

dbeattie wrote:How about a compromise: Feel free to share/email copies of the PDF freely to anyone who wants it, but in terms of posting it publicly on a website and linking to it, I'd prefer to host the only such link myself.

Okay, so arcsol, when you see this -- mind emailing me a copy? Thanks so much, both to arcsol and of course to dbeattie!

Erica
Last edited by erries on Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arcsol
Warm Stranger

Postby arcsol » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:11 pm

@erries: when you see this, do take your email down. you never know in this day and age what people can do with a single email lol /paranoidIKR. the music sheet is also fired off. confirm if you get it :D
A VT fan from the Philippines?

Do check out the 2014 Vienna Teng PHILIPPINES tour thread!

Drop a line and say hi! Post on the thread, leave a PM if you want, or send an email at marc dot a dot public at gmail dot com so we can make this happen!

erries
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby erries » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:50 pm

Got it, arcsol, thanks again!

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:23 pm

dbeattie wrote:
arcsol wrote:
dbeattie wrote:I'll get the website up where I was hosting the Lake version of Gravity sooner or later. It's low on my priority list, since I have transcribing to do (among other more important things), but I'll eventually do it.

upon checking it was tanthalas who posted this beautiful sort-of one-stop shop for VT b-sides. If it's ok w/ you dbeatie i can send her (iirc, sorry if i got the gender wrong) the pdf i have here for her to host :D that is, if she's also willing to host it.

also, if you want i can send it to people who want to have the copy till such time you get your site up. :D[/url]

How about a compromise: Feel free to share/email copies of the PDF freely to anyone who wants it, but in terms of posting it publicly on a website and linking to it, I'd prefer to host the only such link myself. I realize having the link broken is sort of inviting somebody to fill in the gap, and if somebody did end up posting it on a website, it would be too much trouble for me to complain about it, considering I'm giving it away freely :) but my preference would be, I like the vague feeling of control of being the one who posts it online, since I made it. So I'm hoping people will be patient and let me get around to fixing my website. :)

fyi - the version of gravity on that site is a recording from a show at The Independent from winter 2006. in fact, it's merely an mp3 rip from Klaorman's lovely video, as are all the other songs in that indy set that I have posted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RStq-hzg5Kg

folks who are inquisitive can probably still find a copy of the V1 Gravity Lake from the old v1 website

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:47 am

Mostly for historical documentation purposes, plus some philosophy at the end:

In the last 2 weeks since my previous status update, I have:
  • Done page layout and editing on Green Island Serenade.
  • Completely transcribed Passage from scratch, with editing and page layout done.
  • Done page layout and editing on The Atheist Christmas Carol.
  • Done page layout and partial editing on Feather Moon (I haven't finished this editing yet).
  • Finished transcribing My Medea, then completed its editing and page layout.
  • Done page layout and editing on Shasta.
  • Done several rounds of editing on Homecoming, still in progress but almost finished, I think.
  • Done some minor editing on Harbor. This one has been published before, but there are some minor changes I want to try, to see if Vienna likes them, plus I updated it to the latest sheet music software I'm using (Sibelius 6.2) so it probably looks slightly better visually.
  • Done page layout on a version of Mission Street matching the album guitar. It needs editing, I'm sure, but it could be considered either a proof of concept, or even finished. We still might switch this one to piano sheet music depending on what Vienna wants.
The philosophical comment I want to make is this: I'm realizing there is a very good and justifiable reason the editing portion of this project sometimes feels like it is taking forever! When I transcribe these songs, whether from the album, or from live recordings, I write down the notes I hear. My hearing is pretty good, and I've developed tons of good tricks for hearing different instruments, especially piano, out of a recording, but sometimes I don't hear things perfectly. So when I say I'm editing a song, basically what is happening is, it has to pass the "playability" test. I go to the piano, and play through it. If a passage is particularly awkward to sight read, awkward to play, or doesn't fit the pattern of what Vienna usually does in her music, then I must have heard something wrong! There are also times when she played something on the album that's somewhat arbitrary, and live recordings can create an easier, and arguably more accurate version of the song. There are even times when I play something that I think I heard, and it's reasonably easy to play and seems natural, but just doesn't sound right or complete, so I figure out that I missed something. Anyway, all of this takes time, and I never seem to be able to predict when I'll be done, and when something is going to end up in another round of editing, because my standards are continually improving. I think I'm in the last round of editing on Homecoming before sending it to Vienna for her review. We'll see!

erries
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby erries » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:51 pm

dbeattie, it's fascinating to hear about your editing process. I'm not even remotely musically inclined, and I can't play anything by ear or pick out specific notes by listening. I've had about a year total of piano lessons spread out over the last 10 years, and I struggle to even read music without taking forever to work out what each individual note is and how to play it on my keyboard. I've been working VERY slowly at the first verse of "The Tower" since I bought the songbook at Vienna's show in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago, and it's just kind of amazing to me to read about how easily you can just listen to a song and then go play it on the piano. That's quite a talent; I hope you don't take it for granted. :)

Since you seem to know Vienna, I'm curious: How does she compose these songs? Evidently she doesn't write down the notes at all? (Because otherwise you wouldn't have to work so hard to transcribe them.) Does she just make them up and keep them all inside her head? I don't know anything about how artists typically compose music to go with lyrics, but this is equally fascinating to me. If you have any insight into how these songs get created in the first place, I'd love to hear about it.

Sorry if this is off-topic! Glad to hear you're making progress on your transcriptions -- especially "Homecoming", which is hands down my favorite Vienna song of all time.

Erica

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:44 pm

dbeattie, thanks for the update and the insight into your working process! Looking forward to seeing the results. :D
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."

Reileen van Kaile
http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:09 pm

Editing Feather Moon some more. This is tedious! You know when Vienna sings "breathe in, breathe out, exhale and inhale", how it repeats over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again? The piano part is subtly different in each repetition, and it needs to be for the song to develop as it goes along. The version on the album has the right feel to it, but the notes and rhythms are pretty random and not logical or easy to play. So, like usual, I have to look to the live versions, where she plays it somewhat more consistently, but still with minor variations in the details.

So... in order to get a good transcription that shows off Vienna's mad arranging skills, I have to ferret out her actual arrangement of the song from comparing all the live recordings. And, you know how all the repetitions sound the same? They sound the same to me too! But the subtle detailed differences are important, so I need to find them! And because they sound so similar between repetitions and between performances, it's impossible in this case for me to remember and pick just from my own musical intuition, what the "best" version of any particular musical measure is, like I usually do with most of her other songs! So what it essentially boils down to, is I'm keeping statistics on every rhythm or note that I have a question about, in that whole section of the song, between all the live recordings I downloaded from archive.org! The notes and rhythms that come to the top of the statistics, i.e., that I can prove by counting, that she played most commonly between all the live recordings, are the ones that "win", and get put on the sheet music. It's taking forever, but it's going to be worth it. This is really a great song, and deserves great sheet music!

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:56 am

dbeattie wrote:The piano part is subtly different in each repetition, and it needs to be for the song to develop as it goes along. The version on the album has the right feel to it, but the notes and rhythms are pretty random and not logical or easy to play. So, like usual, I have to look to the live versions, where she plays it somewhat more consistently, but still with minor variations in the details.

So... in order to get a good transcription that shows off Vienna's mad arranging skills, I have to ferret out her actual arrangement of the song from comparing all the live recordings.

You made me curious and now I'm listening to all the live recordings of Feather Moon on archive.org. Feather Moon has never been a favorite of mine, maybe because I tend to hear the lyrics more. But now that I'm taking higher music theory classes in school, I appreciate this song and the variations much, much more. Thanks! Looking forward to whatever you come up with. Good luck. :D
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:37 pm

Wrapped up editing on Feather Moon. Put chord markings and guitar chord diagrams on Mission Street. Halfway done with editing for Shine.

Shine is a simple, elegant song, and I'm very pleased with the first half now. :D The second half is still a bit spaghetti-like at the moment, because it's the part I haven't edited yet. Amazing how tweaking a few notes here and there can make a huge difference, and amazing how much work it is to decide which notes to tweak! Thanks to the tapers, like The_Man_In_Blue, I have live recordings to consult, or I would have to use a lot more of my own judgment instead of pulling evidence from Vienna's performances. Shine hasn't been performed a whole lot but at least there are a few recordings.

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:51 pm

Finished editing Shine. Edited Anna Rose.

Now on to the last and most daunting of the songs on Warm Strangers: Hope On Fire. At least there's 40+ live recordings to pick from, plus the album version. I wouldn't have had any idea Vienna played Hope On Fire that much live, but apparently, it's one of her more popular songs to perform!

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:33 pm

I ended up using the album recording of Hope On Fire, and with Vienna's permission, approval and blessing, making an arrangement of it for piano. Her many live performances of the song have historically been very different from the album, and she and I agreed that my arrangement was more authentic to the song by being based on the album than it would have been based on live performances. So I hope you all like it!

After finishing that arrangement, I did further edits of Mission Street, and then visual editing (for horizontal, then vertical spacing) of everything. Then finally I added dynamics (loud and soft markings) to every song on the album except for Passage (which has no piano part). Vienna approved the final product, her manager Amy Cox arranged for the cover art and table of contents to be created, and we sent it to the printer. With any luck nothing will get corrupted in the file transfers and we will have a beautiful songbook for Vienna Teng's Warm Strangers album soon.

So... I've done my job; now I'll be taking a short break and it's up to all of you to buy it! :-D I will return to sheet music work soon after getting caught up with everything else in my life, and when I return I will work on books for the newer albums.

marathonmark
Cool Stranger

Postby marathonmark » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:41 am

Thanks for all your hard work, David.

My copy is ordered and I'll be awaiting its arrival around Christmas time.

I'll stay patient with my desire for "No Gringo". :D

erries
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby erries » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:31 pm

Wow, this is exciting! Thanks, David!

Lirulin
Cool Stranger

Postby Lirulin » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:57 am

I say, Green Island Serenade is not in the Warm Strangers songbook...was it dropped for some reason? :(

Return to “VT.com Machine Room”