Sheet Music Status topic

Talk with the staff. Website comments, suggestions, generous donations.

Moderators: Michele, Eric

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:00 pm

Lirulin wrote:I say, Green Island Serenade is not in the Warm Strangers songbook...was it dropped for some reason? :(

Vienna and her manager made that decision at the last minute before publishing. Something about copyrights. I think we will be finding another way to make this song sheet music available though, so stay tuned and hope. :)

--David

battlemagick
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby battlemagick » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:38 am

I ordered both the Warm Strangers and Waking Hour songbooks! Haha am excitedly awaiting their arrival, but since I live all the way across the globe I have no idea how long it's gonna take/ if it will even arrive at all.

Crossing my fingersss..!

battlemagick
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby battlemagick » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:45 pm

THEY ARRIVED!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:38 pm

Starting Love Turns 40.

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:31 am

Starting City Hall.

Gaudior
Howdy, Stranger!

Yay

Postby Gaudior » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:54 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! :D

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Tue May 31, 2011 5:45 pm

Finished transcribing Nothing Without You from the album recording. It still needs editing, and maybe some influences from live performances, but otherwise it's transcribed.

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Tue May 31, 2011 8:52 pm

Hooray! I love Nothing Without You. :)
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."

Reileen van Kaile
http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:16 am

Mostly finished a fresh transcription of Now Three. I had done it years ago based on an early live recording, but that was before the album was released, and Vienna hadn't nailed down her arrangement yet. I now have a complete and accurate piano part of the album arrangement (which is the same as she played live after the album came out incidentally), and I have about 90% of the string parts double-checked and entered from the original scores, and about half the voice part transcribed.

And then I switched gears and started on Transcontinental, 1:30 a.m. The piano part is quite simple and easy on this song, and I did the whole piano transcription in about 2 hours!, plus about half the trumpet part. But the real work will be in arranging it, to add the bass part into the piano score so that it can all be played together on piano, and adding rhythm (most likely into the bass part) so that the song sounds good even without percussion. I haven't done the voice part yet, but that should be trivial.

jno
Howdy, Stranger!

Seeking piano part or sheet music for City Hall

Postby jno » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:55 am

I'm trying to track down sheet music for City Hall -- it sounds like it exists, at least in part.

Please contact me at joelle at easternvillage dot org

Jo

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Re: Seeking piano part or sheet music for City Hall

Postby dbeattie » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:16 am

jno wrote:I'm trying to track down sheet music for City Hall -- it sounds like it exists, at least in part.

Please contact me at joelle at easternvillage dot org

Jo

Jo,

I'm still in the process of creating it: I'm mostly done with an early draft, but even that isn't finished enough to where I'd let anybody see it. When I am done not just with this song, but every other song on the Dreaming Through The Noise album, and they've all been through all the editing processes including feedback from Vienna herself, they will be published in an album-matching sheet music book and sold on the merchandise page here at Vienna's website. We're targeting an on-sale date of November this year. I'm sure you (and every other fan) would like it sooner, but this is a lot of work, and I have a day-job business I'm running too. Hopefully you'll check the forum here because I don't have time to answer a public question both publicly and privately.

--David Beattie, the official sheet music transcriber

ross314
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby ross314 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:28 pm

Does that mean that the new sheet music book being released this year is Dreaming through the Noise? I was really hoping that we could get Inland Territory first since I really want to try playing Antebellum and Stray Italian Greyhound on the piano.

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:57 am

Yes, Dreaming Through The Noise is coming first, for two reasons, one practical, and one philosophical, and they are related.

Firstly, as difficult as it's going to be to produce sheet music for Dreaming Through The Noise, it's easier than it will be for Inland Territory. I have tons of progress made on Inland Territory, which I worked on in 2009, but Dreaming Through The Noise seems less daunting! and as I've been working on it for the last four months, I'm sure I can get it done in 2011. The decision to do Warm Strangers in 2010 was based on the same logic. It was easier than the other two and something I could commit to in the time frame needed. I do have a "day job" running my own business to keep up with, too, unfortunately!

Secondly, after it became clear that I wasn't going to be able to finish Inland Territory in 2009, I came to the conclusion that the most authentic way to produce good Vienna Teng sheet music would be to evolve and develop the sheet music style gradually, progressing through Vienna's body of work in order, rather than trying to jump straight through to Inland Territory. The two songs you mention, Antebellum and Stray Italian Greyhound, are among the most straightforward songs on the Inland Territory album. Some of the others are going to involve a lot more in the way of meaningful and non-trivial decisions which will need to be made! St. Steven's Cross, for example, is most definitely a masterpiece, but what to do with it for sheet music? I have a pretty good idea, and I have a lot of it done, as I do for Radio, Kansas, The Last Snowfall, and other songs where I felt like I got stuck in the middle when I was working on them in 2009. But I am confident that I will be able to finish them and confidently create GOOD and authoritative sheet music for these songs once I'm done with the evolution of sheet music through the Dreaming Through The Noise era. I'll be more experienced at what I'm doing, and I'll be able to produce sheet music consistent with the decisions that I'm now making (in consultation with Vienna) for the other albums. I'd love to release Antebellum and Stray Italian Greyhound now, but the economics (and the legal approvals) of printing books are such that they will wait for the whole book to come out; and I don't have time to put the finishing touches on them while I'm working on Dreaming Through The Noise anyway.

So in summary, I hope the end result will be worth the wait. ;) I'm really excited to be bringing out sheet music for Dreaming Through The Noise this year; which is an amazing album!

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:13 am

So.... yesterday and today, I've been working on 1br/1ba. It's an interesting song, but rather time consuming; although I've long since finished with the piano, there's at least two violin parts (one bowed, one strummed), and at least one cello part (maybe two), and voice parts with complicated rhythms that get multi-layered at the end...

And today I was working on page layout for the first half of the song, and I hit upon a fun piece of irony. The piano part is pretty simple and thin in the song, so I need to include bass (on the piano staff), and the strings and vocal parts, which are much more complicated:

So in order to put a decent amount of music on one page, I have to squeeze the non-piano parts down so they fit on the page next to the piano part; I need to get at least 4 measures on a line, and 2-3 systems on a page, or it's going to be hard to read and take too many pages. So I'm squeezing the music in to fit... arranging it very carefully to pack it onto the page. (And I even discovered I could use a repeat sign in the music in one spot to make a couple of measures more concisely written, which I'm almost never able to do with Vienna's music!) And it occurred to me, this is a lot like the experience of packing one's belongings into a 1-bedroom/1-bath apartment; which is the subject of the song. ;) For those with literary inclinations, you may also find an interesting parallel in the way you would use abbreviations and squeeze letters out of the words in a newspaper ad advertising such an apartment (see the official lyrics for the song for a reminder of this phenomenon!) Lots of ironic parallels here.... just thought I'd share. :)

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:21 am

The songs have lives and minds of their own. Thanks for sharing that, David!

Return to “VT.com Machine Room”