Sheet Music Status topic

Talk with the staff. Website comments, suggestions, generous donations.

Moderators: Michele, Eric

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Sheet Music Status topic

Postby dbeattie » Tue May 02, 2006 7:35 am

I began working on sheet music again in the middle of April (2006), after a long hiatus. Due to some posts on the forum here, as well as my long-standing desire to see it done, I'm going to work towards being able to give Vienna the option of publishing a sheet music book. Since this will be a long process, and people will be curious about how it is going, I thought it might be useful to post an occasionally-updated status topic so that in the absence of obvious tangible results like the immediate publication of a sheet music book for one of the albums, people can know very approximately what to expect. :)

Keep in mind that Vienna has not announced plans to publish a sheet music album book (or three). But with sufficient demand, it may happen. My guess is that the up-front costs of publishing a book are much higher than they are for sheet music singles. So with any luck, let's hope that Vienna's popularity continues to rise so that she and her label will feel that it's worth it. And if not, I am sure we'll figure out some way to make the work I've been doing available. *Edit*. More up-to-date information: Vienna is in fact publishing sheet music books now, and I was wrong: they are cheaper to produce than sheet music singles.

So, here, song by song, is my status as far as transcribing and editing the sheet music, for every song on all three of her currently-released albums. I will update this status information periodically as I make progress on the songs. The "difficulty" levels I list are how difficult it is to transcribe, not to play... although there is a rough correspondence. In general, even Vienna's "easy songs" are hard to sight-read from sheet music.

Eric, I tried to make this a table but un-checking the "Disable HTML in this post" option doesn't work, despite the phpBB software saying the HTML option is ON.

Waking Hour

The Tower
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From live recordings with minor influences from the album. High degree of difficulty. Page layout done. Visual editing done. Edited for ease of sight-reading/consistency. Added dynamics. Reviewed and approved by Vienna. Published in Waking Hour album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Momentum
  • Completely transcribed--Published, including harmony vocals. From album recording. Medium difficulty. Edited for ease of sight-reading/consistency. Page layout done. Visual editing done. Added dynamics. Reviewed and approved by Vienna. Published in Waking Hour album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Gravity
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From Waking Hour (2001) CD. Medium difficulty. Visually edited. Edited by Vienna. For sale (single) on Merchandise page. Added dynamics. Published in Waking Hour album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Daughter
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From album recording. Easy. Page layout done. Visual editing done. Edited for ease of sight-reading/consistency. Added dynamics. Reviewed and approved by Vienna. Published in Waking Hour album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Between
  • Completely transcribed--Published, including harmony vocals. From live recordings and album. Medium difficulty. Page layout done. Visual editing done. Added dynamics. Editing for ease of sight-reading/consistency remains, including double-checking the harmony vocals with live recordings. Reviewed and approved by Vienna. Published in Waking Hour album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Say Uncle
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From album recording. Easy. Page layout done. Visual editing done. Edited for ease of sight-reading/consistency. Added dynamics. Reviewed and approved by Vienna. Published in Waking Hour album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Drought
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From live recordings with minor influences from the album. High degree of difficulty. Page layout done. Visual editing done. Edited for ease of sight-reading/consistency. Added dynamics. Might still need minor arranging work in a couple of spots. Reviewed and approved by Vienna. Published in Waking Hour album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Enough To Go By
  • Completely transcribed--Published, including harmony vocals. From live recordings and album. Medium difficulty. Page layout mostly done. Visual editing done. Added dynamics. Harmony vocals and a few selected notes in the piano part need review. Reviewed and approved by Vienna. Published in Waking Hour album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Unwritten Letter #1
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From live recordings, influenced by album recording. Bass and violin parts from album recording added. High degree of difficulty. Page layout done. Visual editing done. Added dynamics. Reviewed and approved by Vienna. Published in Waking Hour album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Eric's Song
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From album recording. Medium difficulty. Edited for ease of sight-reading/consistency. Page layout done. Added dynamics. Reviewed and approved by Vienna. Published in Waking Hour album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Soon Love, Soon
  • Completely transcribed--Published, including all harmony vocal parts, piano, various drums, bass, maracas, snare, and marimba. From album recording. Medium difficulty transcription, difficult page layout. Page layout done. Visual editing mostly done. Partial editing for ease of sight-reading/consistency done. Added dynamics. Reviewed and approved by Vienna. Published in Waking Hour album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Lullabye for a Stormy Night
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From album recording. Easy. Edited for ease of sight-reading/consistency. Page layout done. Edited by Vienna. For sale on Merchandise page. Added dynamics. Published in Waking Hour album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Decade and One
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From album recording. Medium difficulty. Page layout done. Visual editing done. Editing for ease of sight-reading/consistency remains. Added dynamics. Reviewed and approved by Vienna. Published in Waking Hour album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.

Gravity (lake version)
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From MP3 file from old website. Easy. Edited for ease of sight-reading/consistency. Page layout done. Available here

Warm Strangers

Feather Moon
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From album recording--piano and vocals only. May attempt to add strings later. Easy. Page layout done. Edited for ease of sight-reading/consistency. Sent to Vienna for review. Published in Warm Strangers album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Harbor
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From live recordings. High degree of difficulty. Edited for ease of sight-reading/consistency. Page layout done. Edited by Vienna. Was sold on Merchandise page until it sold out. Now published in Warm Strangers album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Hope On Fire
  • Completely transcribed--Published. Arranged for piano from album rhythm, bass, strings, and piano. Hard. Published in Warm Strangers album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Shine
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From album with influences and edits from live recordings. Easy. Page layout done. Edited for ease of sight-reading/consistency. Sent to Vienna for review. Published in Warm Strangers album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Mission Street
  • Completely transcribed--Published. Album arrangement essentially completed: Voice + guitar (notation + tab) + trumpet + flugelhorn + piano + electric bass. Vienna was happy with guitar notation as it was readable for piano too; no piano arrangement needed. Easy/Medium difficulty. Page layout done for album/guitar version, leaving out electric bass. Edited with a live recording. Sent to Vienna for review. Published in Warm Strangers album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
My Medea
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From album, consulting live recordings where they are easier to hear and when editing for consistency/easy of sight reading. Medium difficulty. Page layout done. Edited for ease of consistency/sight reading. May need more visual editing. Sent to Vienna for review. Published in Warm Strangers album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Shasta
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From album with minor influences from live recordings. Easy. Page layout done. Edited for consistency/ease of sight reading. Sent to Vienna for review. Published in Warm Strangers album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Homecoming
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From album recording. Easy, but very long. Page layout done. Mostly edited for ease of sight reading/consistency. May need more visual editing. Sent to Vienna for review. Published in Warm Strangers album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Anna Rose
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From album. Including violin and cello. Easy. Page layout done. Edited for ease of sight-reading/consistency. Sent to Vienna for review. Published in Warm Strangers album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Passage
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From album recording, with clues to measure boundaries from live recordings. Page layout done. Sent to Vienna for review. Medium difficulty. Published in Warm Strangers album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Atheist Christmas Carol
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From album recording, including cello. Easy. Page layout done. May need more visual editing. Needs dynamics. Sent to Vienna for review. Published in Warm Strangers album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Green Island Serenade
  • Completely transcribed. From album recording. Lyrics in simplified chinese, and pinyin. Easy. Except for figuring out how to write the lyrics. Page layout done. May need more minor visual editing. Needs dynamics. Sent to Vienna for review. Not published for sale due to copyright concerns. Sent to Deep South to post for free, but not yet available.

Dreaming Through The Noise

Blue Caravan
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From album & live recordings. Page layout done. Edited for sight reading and playability. Medium difficulty. Reviewed by Vienna. Published in Dreaming Through The Noise album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Whatever You Want
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From album & live recordings. Piano arrangement with a few influences from string parts. Medium difficulty. Page layout done. Edited for sight reading and playability. Visual editing done. Reviewed by Vienna. Published in Dreaming Through The Noise album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Love Turns 40
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From album & live recordings. Medium difficulty. Published in Dreaming Through The Noise album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
I Don't Feel So Well
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From album, live recordings, and string quartet arranged by Mark Orton. Preference in piano part to album recording where it is sufficient for solo piano performance. Rather than including full score for bass, string quartet, and accordion, with recorded string quartet, viola, and accordion solos from album, as originally thought, it is arranged for solo piano. Medium difficulty. Published in Dreaming Through The Noise album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
City Hall
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From album. Medium difficulty. Published in Dreaming Through The Noise album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Nothing Without You
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From album. Page layout done. Edited for sight reading and playability. Sent to Vienna for review. Medium difficulty. Published in Dreaming Through The Noise album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Transcontinental, 1:30 A.M.
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From album. Arranged bass part into the piano part. Medium difficulty. Reviewed by Vienna. Published in Dreaming Through The Noise album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
1br/1ba
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From album & live recordings. Selected echoes of string parts arranged into the piano part. High degree of difficulty to transcribe. Easy to play. Reviewed by Vienna. Published in Dreaming Through The Noise album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Now Three
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From album. Originally included string quartet in addition to piano, but this would have required copyright sign-off by Mark Orton, and we published a piano-only score instead. Page layout done. Edited for playability. Sent to Vienna for review. Medium difficulty. Published in Dreaming Through The Noise album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Pontchartrain
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From album. String flourishes arranged into the piano. Medium difficulty. Reviewed by Vienna. Published in Dreaming Through The Noise album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.
Recessional
  • Completely transcribed--Published. From album. Page layout done. Edited for sight reading and playability. Sent to Vienna for review. Medium difficulty. Published in Dreaming Through The Noise album-matching sheet music book, for sale on Merchandise page.

Inland Territory

The Last Snowfall
  • 100% transcribed. From album. Easy/medium.
White Light
  • Completely transcribed. From album. Arranged for solo piano from the bass, rhythm, and electric piano parts. Ignoring the electric guitar. High degree of difficulty. Sent to Vienna for review.
Antebellum
  • Completely transcribed. From album. Medium difficulty, but long. May publish with or without strings. Page layout done. Edited for playability. Sent to Vienna for review.
Kansas
  • 50% transcribed. From album, adding influences from live recordings to combine the two piano parts from the album (electric/acoustic) into a solo piano arrangement. Difficult to transcribe. Easy to play.
In Another Life
  • Completely transcribed. From album. Including clarinet, alto clarinet, and bassoon parts. Edited for playability. Sent to Vienna for review.
Grandmother Song
  • 75% transcribed. Solo vocals transcribed. Percussion partially transcribed. Fiddle partially transcribed. Need to finish fiddle and percussion, and consider adding selected harmony vocals.
Stray Italian Greyhound
  • Completely transcribed. From album. Medium difficulty, but very long.. May publish with or without strings. Page layout done. Sent to Vienna for review.
Augustine
  • 100% transcribed. Vocals transcribed, basic album piano part transcribed. Will continue to mix in more influences from live piano part to improve rhythm in chorus sections. Needs more editing.
No Gringo
  • 99% transcribed. Vocals transcribed including loop/choir vocals. Piano transcribed. Brass parts input and verified. Lead guitar transcribed. Needs editing, and perhaps adding ambient guitar parts (not sure yet).
Watershed
  • Completely transcribed. Transcribed piano, entered strings from original string score. Page layout done. Mostly edited.
Radio
  • Completely transcribed. Vocals including harmonies transcribed, electric piano and pots and pans transcribed. Page layout done. Mostly edited. May add echoes of guitar and rhythm into piano later if Vienna wants them.
St. Stephen's Cross
  • 90% transcribed. Solo and chorus vocals 100% transcribed. Piano part and electric bass transcribed and arranged for piano, electric tremolo guitar transcribed, acoustic guitar mostly transcribed, need to finish acoustic guitar and arrange instrumental chords at the end for piano.
Last edited by dbeattie on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:43 am, edited 150 times in total.

jennyyang80
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby jennyyang80 » Tue May 02, 2006 9:40 pm

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!! You're so awesome...lol. Sounds like a lot of work though so take your time...just not too long, 'cos I don't know how long I can wait :P haha, it sounds like it's coming along really well though, which is really great. Can't wait - hopefully the book idea will come through :)

Scot
Tengster

Re: Sheet Music Status topic

Postby Scot » Wed May 03, 2006 6:10 am

dbeattie wrote:I just began working on sheet music again in the middle of April, after a long hiatus.

Absolutely awesome! I suspect the end result of your efforts will be in
high demand! This is very cool that you can and are doing this! :>

scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Opus
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby Opus » Tue May 09, 2006 2:12 am

Thanks a bunch! :D

darthscsi
Warm Stranger

Re: Sheet Music Status topic

Postby darthscsi » Tue May 09, 2006 8:06 pm

dbeattie wrote:I just began working on sheet music again in the middle of April, after a long hiatus.

Awesome! Looking forwards to anything you get finished and out the door. :)

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Thu May 11, 2006 9:39 am

Working on "Say Uncle" now. *edit*: Done with entering all the notes. I would have never left this one out, for completeness sake, and it was pretty easy (only took about 8 hours to transcribe). But it occured to me while transcribing it, I'm curious if there's anybody reading this who really, really wants to play it (please don't respond if you just want to play all of her songs--just if you were/are waiting specifically for this song!, 'cause otherwise it will just clutter up the topic). It's quite beautiful, even in MIDI form ;), but because of the subject matter and words, it seems like such an odd song to sing, if you're not Vienna. So I wonder if it will be one of those songs that is "in the book" but nobody ever learns--not that it matters.
Last edited by dbeattie on Fri May 19, 2006 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

James
Howdy, Stranger!

awesome!

Postby James » Thu May 18, 2006 4:03 am

David, this is great news.

The first three pieces of sheet music have been a joy.
Crossing my fingers that your works end up published. Thanks for all your efforts :-)

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Sun May 21, 2006 2:12 am

dbeattie wrote: So I wonder if it will be one of those songs that is "in the book" but nobody ever learns--not that it matters.

Perhaps, but the sentiment is so adequately developed in Say Uncle that I
would think it would be meaningful to all who have lost any close relative or
friend - which is nearly everyone. Don't know if that means they'll want to
play it, but I don't think you have to be Vieann, or even have lost an Uncle to
have a special place in your heart for that song.

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Opus
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby Opus » Mon May 22, 2006 6:23 pm

I will definately be playing "Say Uncle", as I have a similar story to Vienna's, so the song means quite a lot to me. Last November, I lost my uncle very unexpectedly, and he was only in his 50s.

So thanks for transcribing the song! :)

francofille
Howdy, Stranger!

Transcription availability of "Soon Love Soon" for

Postby francofille » Wed May 24, 2006 4:09 am

Hi D,

After reading your post and others', I assume there is some way to acquire a transcription of "Soon Love Soon"...is this correct?

If so, I would be forever grateful. My fiance and I will have this song in our wedding ceremony but realize we need sheet music to make it happen succesfully.

Though our soloist has heard it on the CD and I have been able to pick it out on my keyboard, I have very limited talent in music transcription. My fiance and I had both e-mailed Vienna's contacts through her website, but we got a simple "no" back when we asked about sheet music for "Soon Love Soon".

Please let me know any details about ordering, if it is possible to get the sheet music anytime soon. Our wedding is June 24, so we are short on time, but we would still appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you so much.

Jennifer

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Mon May 29, 2006 8:31 am

Jennifer,

I wrote you a private message in response the same night you posted your question. But it occurs to me now, you might be unfamiliar with the forum, and there's a chance you didn't get the e-mail notifying you of a new private message. So, if you haven't already, you should log in and check your messages.

--David

AngelusErratus
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby AngelusErratus » Wed May 31, 2006 7:33 am

How would one go about requesting the sheet music for "Eric's Song?" I know you've already transcribed it, but it has to go through Vienna, right? How does that work?

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:17 pm

Working on "Decade and One" now.

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:45 pm

dbeattie wrote:Working on "Decade and One" now.

:D

JohnEZ
Warm Stranger

Postby JohnEZ » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:36 am

Really looking forward to My Medea when you get it out :)

Return to “VT.com Machine Room”