Funny Churches

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Ginny
Tengster

Funny Churches

Postby Ginny » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:14 am

Ok this has nothing to do with anything but I'm telling you anyway b/c I'm here. There's a church I always pass on my way home which uses a sign by the street to post messages. Often times they're funny, like tonight's "Stop drop and roll won't work in Hell." On Friday the message was "Marriage is between man and woman." Somebody decided to make a point and stole the "wo" from woman which of course changed the statement to say that marriage is between man and man. Saturday the sign said, "Please gives us back our WO." Sunday night the extra WO magically appeared underneath the request. Then yesterday the sign said, "Thank you, Jesus loves you." LOL ~G
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

Kenji
Warm Stranger

Postby Kenji » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:46 am

Funny story Ginny. I'm sure such events make it interesting to pass by each day and see the new message.

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:03 am

I get a kick out of small, weird things I guess. That church is one of them. My other current favorite is the Exxon sign that says, "Tiffany and Jen are back for the summer! Come say hi!" It's not really all that small of a town so I'm not sure why this is newsworthy at the Exxon, but it is. :) My favorite quality in anyone is a sense of humor so those signs are a happy part of my day. Yeah ok, I'm a dork, I admit it. If anyone wants to make fun of me you know where to reach me. ;) ~Ginny
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:17 am

Ginny's a dorky. Ginny's a dorky.

Hehe, just kidding. :lol:

I remember having to read somethings about humors with signs or signboards. This one has a restaurant that hang a sign that says "Open On Sundays". The church next door answered with "We're Open On Sundays Too".
Always look on the bright side of life.

tontamoo
Warm Stranger

Postby tontamoo » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:56 pm

Haha, these little signs are great. If there was a church that I passed by that posted messages like these, it would totally brighten my day. Keep 'em coming, Ginny.

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:12 pm

Ginny wrote:I get a kick out of small, weird things I guess. That church is one of them. My other current favorite is the Exxon sign that says, "Tiffany and Jen are back for the summer! Come say hi!" It's not really all that small of a town so I'm not sure why this is newsworthy at the Exxon, but it is. :) My favorite quality in anyone is a sense of humor so those signs are a happy part of my day. Yeah ok, I'm a dork, I admit it. If anyone wants to make fun of me you know where to reach me. ;) ~Ginny

Ah... the Exxon on Friendly Avenue at the corner of Dolly Madison, no? Ginny, you are not a dork! I miss the place. Can't say I always bought my gas there (nothing like having three gas stations on one corner to keep the prices down.... or at least competitive), but I did enjoy their signs. And if I was buying gas when I was near that corner, I DID always choose the Exxon.

Chris

CrazyOne
Warm Stranger

Postby CrazyOne » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:33 am

LOL That was great Ginny. I pass one church occasionally that has a similar sign with these sort of "Sentence Sermons" (btw, there are two books full of these, see below), though I've never seen anything too silly happen with it.

Have some fun: make your own church sign! ;) Or view photos of actual (often quite funny) signs:

http://www.churchsigngenerator.com/

Also, on that homepage there are a few Amazon links to church sign-related books. First, there are two books by the same author that are made to give the churches ideas. Next to those there are two books by a different author which appear to be compilations in the other direction, taken from the actual signs. Too funny. Actually, it could be that both are taken from actual signs, but the first two are aimed squarely at churches where the other two seem to me to be looking for a more general audience.

Anyway. Yes, I type too much....
"We in the back are all agreed that your theory is crazy. But what divides us is whether your theory is crazy enough!" --Niels Bohr

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:47 am

Been looking at the link provided by CrazyOne, I like this one.
Always look on the bright side of life.

CrazyOne
Warm Stranger

Postby CrazyOne » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:01 am

Funny, says it's from northwestern NC, but taken a year and a half ago:

http://www.churchsigngenerator.com/imag ... d-roll.jpg

I dunno where in NC you are anyway, so probably just another church that used the same thing. Surely they have enough different ones that they don't have to repeat this soon? ;)
"We in the back are all agreed that your theory is crazy. But what divides us is whether your theory is crazy enough!" --Niels Bohr

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:00 pm

cmooreNC wrote:[Ah... the Exxon on Friendly Avenue at the corner of Dolly Madison, no? Ginny, you are not a dork! I miss the place. Can't say I always bought my gas there (nothing like having three gas stations on one corner to keep the prices down.... or at least competitive), but I did enjoy their signs. And if I was buying gas when I was near that corner, I DID always choose the Exxon.

Chris

OMG You know it! LOL That Exxon is funny. And btw, why are there two BP stations directly across the street from one another there by the Exxon? I don't usually buy my gas there but I pass by every day. :)

Ben--I love the restaurant/church signs you mentioned. Funny! And yes, I'm dorky. :) ~Ginny

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:30 am

Ginny -

The "duplicate" BP stations are because one (the one on the Guilford College side of the street) was an Amoco back when BP merged with Amoco. So the Amoco was changed over after the merger. Apparently they both sell so much gas, however, that the decision was made not to close one of them.
Chris

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:54 am

Thanks, Chris! Every time I pass by the 2 BP stations with friends somebody always wonders aloud why those 2 stations are there. I think I may actually be the only person in Greensboro with the answer to that question now. I'll be sure to tell all my friends. ;) How long have you been gone from here again? ~Ginny

shawn
Hot Stranger

Postby shawn » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:49 pm

cmooreNC wrote:Apparently they both sell so much gas, however, that the decision was made not to close one of them.

A lot of gas stations are owned by independent operators, rather than the oil company in question. So it could be a case of two competing owners, staring across the street at one another and muttering under their breath at how they both wound up being BP stations.

Probably amuses the guy who drives the BP truck to bring gas to those stations, though... :wink:

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:40 pm

Ginny wrote:How long have you been gone from here again? ~Ginny

Just a little over a year now. We moved in down here on July 19th last year.
Chris

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:44 pm

shawn wrote:
cmooreNC wrote:Apparently they both sell so much gas, however, that the decision was made not to close one of them.

A lot of gas stations are owned by independent operators, rather than the oil company in question. So it could be a case of two competing owners, staring across the street at one another and muttering under their breath at how they both wound up being BP stations.

Probably amuses the guy who drives the BP truck to bring gas to those stations, though... :wink:

Probably quite true, Shawn. Although of course they're both convenience stores and I'm sure that most of the profits are from "goods" rather than gas.

Funny thing is, it's probably Amoco gas being pumped out of that truck! :lol:

Didn't BP promote the fact that they were selling Amoco fuels at all their stations after the merger, at least for a while?
Chris

Return to “The Cafe”