This week's Movie review......

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:23 am

I just can't picture you with waist length hair, leopard skin tights, and a two armed guitar trapped inside an Alien Pod trying to emerge to play your guitar with smoke machines going off everywhere....................

Tori Amos is a little on the disturbed side. I was reading a new article where she confesses to having erotic fantasies about Jesus when she was only eight years old. That wouldn't bother me too much except the picture was actually of me back when I was a Jesus model. It was when I was a very mature 14 years of age and the only summer jobs available were brain surgeon and Jesus model....................................
and now you know the rest of the story. :lol:

I made up the part about my modeling career, but Tori Amos did say what I quoted in that article. She is a little out there I think.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:41 am

Ang Mo wrote:

I made up the part about my modeling career, but Tori Amos did say what I quoted in that article. She is a little out there I think.

And she ain't the only one, Chairman! LOL:D!
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:05 am

Touche Scot! Well said. :lol:
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:43 am

I watched a National Geographic DVD hosted by Lisa Ling called "The Lost Girls of China". A very interesting documentary regarding how under the "one child" policy introduced by the Chinese Goverment and how it has backfired.

The problem created by this is that Chinese families under this particular rule prefer to have boys. It is a Chinese tradition that the son will of course keep the family name and will also take care of the parents once they become old. Since a family is only allowed to have one child, then the pressure on the family and also the adherence to these old traditions has created an atmosphere where baby girls are either aborted, abandoned, or killed. Needless to say, Chinese Orphanages are chock full of girls.

The social problems created by this are devastating. Boys outnumber girls in the schools by 4 to 1. They said by the year 2040, forty percent of all Chinese males will not be able to ever marry because there won't be any females for them to marry. They say civil war will break out due to the social problems caused by this.

The flip side to this is that Americans that are unable to have children, have a great opportunity to adopt a baby girl from China. The DVD follows several families from the U.S. who arrive in China to pick up their new family members.

It made me want to adopt a child but my psychiatrist pointed out that a child would have a hard time raising me and themselves at the same time. The psychiatrist explained that a baby is not like one of my Fisher Price toys.

Anyhow, I was so much wanting to help that I have decided to sponsor a child over in China. I reviewed several charities and after investigating their credibility, I chose one. I got the picture of the one year old child I am sponsoring. She is very cute and I am sure she will be adopted by a good family quickly. I feel kind of like a parent. I put her picture in my office at work.

Anyhow, check out that DVD. I highly recommend it. It is hard to go wrong with National Geographic.

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:20 am

Ang Mo wrote: I made up the part about my modeling career, but Tori Amos did say what I quoted in that article. She is a little out there I think.

Uh, Tori is ALOT out there. ;) She is quite interesting. I like hearing what she has to say, although I admit that I had to read parts of her new book twice to understand what she was getting at. She thinks very differently than anyone else I have come across but the result is musically incredible so I'm happy with her. I like the level of individualality and rawness she brings to her craft. Maybe you should tell her about your Jesus modeling career and see what she says. lol ;) ~G
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:14 am

Hello Ginny,

I don't think I will reveal to Tori I was the Jesus model she so long ago fell for. I would hate to see her leave her family to follow after me and my teachings.............whatever those might be........ :lol:

To paraphrase a greek philosopher, "I can not dance, but I can make a great city out of a small one".

Speaking of China in my post above, when do you make your trip to perform over there?

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:02 pm

Hi, Ang Mo--
We leave on August 15th at 1:20p.m. We have an layover in San Francisco on the way home. I finally get to go to California and it's for a layover. *sigh* :roll: ~Ginny
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:30 am

Perhaps Vienna will meet you in the San Francisco airport and you and her can jam on the keyboard and trumpet while airport security is knocking the heck out of me while screaming out, "Soylent Green is people". :lol:

Hope you have a great trip to China! It should be a lot of fun.

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:11 am

Ang Mo wrote:Perhaps Vienna will meet you in the San Francisco airport and you and her can jam on the keyboard and trumpet while airport security is knocking the heck out of me while screaming out, "Soylent Green is people". :lol:

Hope you have a great trip to China! It should be a lot of fun.

Thanks, Ang Mo! If I see anyone smacking you around at the airport I'll try to protect you, ok? lol ;) ~Ginny

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:42 am

Thanks for the offer Ginny. This will give Seletta a warning...... :lol:

I would like to travel someplace far away. I was confident I was going to Singapore, but the expense of the air fare and all is just too much for my yearly entertainment budget. However, Hawaii has some decent fares and it is just chock full of different cultures so it can be fun. I can hardly wait to go to Queens Bath in Kauai and float like a sea otter.

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:23 am

You're welcome. ;) I'm not sure what kind of protection I'll be, but I could definitely get a few swings in with a trumpet case if need be. So yeah, you'd better warn Seletta! I'm sorry to hear Singapore didn't work out, but I bet you'd have a great time in Hawaii. If you wait a little while longer you could get together with Scot! There'd been some initial talks for some shows in Hawaii on the way home from China but that fell through so now we're going from Beijing to San Francisco (layover) to North Carolina. I'd imagine by then I'll be happy to be back home though. I'm a homebody. :) ~Ginny

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:29 am

Hey, Chairman Mo:

I recommend Hawaii in the autumn months. It's a lull time for the tourist industry - after summer, but before the holidays.

Last September, I attended the Maui Writer's Conference. (Oh, my goodness, what a wonderful time.) The price I paid for the hotel room was far below the usual rate. When the conference ended, I decided, on the spur of the moment, to spend another several days in Honolulu. I booked a hotel room three blocks from Waikiki Beach for just 65 bucks a night. Sheesh. That's a good rate for Toledo, let alone Hawaii.

I'll keep an eye out for the National Geographic documentary. A few weeks ago, I met Scott Simon, the host of NPR's "Weekend Edition," at a book signing in San Francisco. Last year, Scott and his wife adopted a baby girl from China. Scott and his wife brought their little girl to the book signing, and oh, was she adorable.

I couldn't help but remember a passage from Iris Chang's "The Chinese in America," in which she wrote about the adoption of Chinese baby girls by American couples. One Chinese couple abandoned their baby girl with a note saying,

"We, who were her parents for these first days, cannot continue taking care of her. We can only hope that in this world there is a kind-hearted person who will care for her. Thank you. In regret and shame, your father and mother."

When I read this, I wished I were married, and in a position to adopt. I didn't know about the sponsorship programs. It's something I'll check out.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:30 am

Hey Ginny

Thanks for the support. I would never force you to take on Seletta in combat. Only a full trained Jedi Kazoo player can match her viscious assaults. :lol:

To bad you don't get to play in Hawaii. I think you would have a blast there.

Hey [b-flat]

Thanks for the tips on the Hawaii travel. I want to try it this year. I need to have one grand adventure before I ending up taking a dirt nap.
Once you watch that National Geographic DVD, it will really make you want to adopt a child. I have done a lot of studying on the internet and in some cases a single person can adopt a child from China.

I chose to sponsor a child due to the fact that I would want to be very wealthy before I took on a huge responsibility like adopting a child and raising them. Just my personal decision.

Once an orphan in China hits the age of 14 they are no longer allowed to be adopted by anyone. It's as if they are just tossed into a giant trash bin and forgotten.

There are programs where you can sponsor these older children and then they can get educational training to help them obtain work skills to adapt to life on the outside.

The National Geographic DVD shows a little adopted girl named Morrissa who goes back to China with her adoptive mother and father who are adopting a baby sister for her. This Morrissa steals the show. She is just the cutest child, so angelic and outgoing. Anyway her adoptive mother takes Morrissa to meet the foster mother that took care of her in the orphanage in China before she was adopted. It was a very emotional scene. The foster mother was saddened because Morrissa only spoke English. There was also a very unique group conversation in the park where Morrissa's real parents abandoned her. The adoptive mother had put up a sign in Chinese letting the real parents know that their daughter was happy and healthy and living in the U.S. This caused quite an emotional scene. You have to watch it to appreciate it.

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:52 am

Following Ang Mo's footsteps (sans the review), I'll be introducing a couple of movies. They are both South Korean movies and stars Jeon Ji-Hyun. She seems to be a superstar there. The two movies are quite similar to a certain extent, both are comedies with the feel-good theme with a few dramas thrown in. Both are actually quite old, from 2000 and 2004 but I've only seen them last weekend. Here they are:

My Sassy Girl
Windstruck a.k.a. My Sassy Girl 2

I'm trying to get hold of a copy "IL MARE", Jeon Ji-Hyun's older film. This is also a critically acclaimed movie in Korea and most part of Asia.

P.S.
- Ang Mo, you might forget your Vicky Zhao. :lol: Good luck with Hawaii. And a little side note, my sister in Chicago is expecting her third baby and guess what... she plans to name him "Hawaii". :shock: Don't ask me why. :lol:

- Ginny, what songs are you planning to play in China?
Always look on the bright side of life.

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:23 pm

Ben--
I'll post the program for you but I don't have it w/me at the moment. The people who booked us want mostly jazz, one Chinese piece, and some classical. ~Ginny

Return to “The Cafe”