This week's Movie review......

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:30 am

Ben, 2046 is the sequel to "In the Mood for Love". I prefer the first film. I found it hard to believe he could reject Zhang Ziyi and Gong Li both in 2046. That is like a coin landing on its side, which is unlikely except of course in the movies. :lol: Now a great documentary is Grizzly Man which is a must see for everyone. This guy, Timothy Treadwell that was killed and consumed by the very animals he felt he was protecting is extremely entertaining. Some of the very best parts of the movie are Treadwell's narrative videos that he shot. His off the cuff, borderline manic comments are just absolutely hilarious, especially when he goes off on the National Park Service. Incredible footage of Treadwell touching a grizzly bear on the nose and talking to it. He also had a family of foxes practically tamed. His heart was probably in the right place, but his mind, having been affected by heavy drug use was not. I don't blame the bears, it was his own misguided intentions that got him and his girlfriend killed. This is a must see movie.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:58 am

I can't believe ANYONE would reject Li Gong, at any time, for any reason. Even when she played an unsympathetic character, as in "Shanghai Triad." But that's just me ... :)

I haven't seen "Grizzly Man" yet, but I read the account in Vanity Fair. Very sad, and tragic, in the classical sense of the word.

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:09 am

Wasn't it Gong Li who rejected Tony? Granted the fact that Tony was in love with Gong Li for the wrong reasons. He did admit that he realized much later on that he was more in love with Maggie Cheung's character from IMFL, who shared the same name with Gong Li, but Gong Li saw right through him. Remember he and Gong Li played that final hi-low card game. He wins, she go with him to Hong Kong, if she wins, he goes alone. Obviously, we knew who would win, and he said that she found another way to reject him. I'm now looking for In the Mood for Love.

About Grizzly Man, I've heard about it but do you have to spoil it about his death. :shock: Oh, well, I'm bound to know that anyway. :lol:
Always look on the bright side of life.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:31 pm

I don't think the cutting of cards would get in the way of him marrying Gong Li, regardless of the outcome of the card game.. Think about who was the one that was crying when they separated. It was Gong Li, she loved him, but he did not make that decision to go after her. He was the one that walked away. They never did explain the reason why she wore that black glove on her one hand all the time. That was a mystery I wanted to know about. :lol:

Timothy Treadwell's death was well recorded long before this documentary was released. In almost prophetic fashion, David Letterman joked to Treadwell when he was a guest on his show, "Don't you think we will all read the paper one day and discover that you have been eaten by bears?"

Very prophetic.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:44 am

If Tony did stay, I doubt Gong Li would want to end up with him (at the moment). While he thinks he is in love with Gong Li, she knew it was a one-way relationship. I mean what's the use of playing that final draw when Tony already asked her to come with him? Playing hard to get? I've no problem that she loved Tony very much. But she could have take the chance and move to Hong-Kong with Tony. But she wanted out. She made him walk away. Despite the fact that Tony did say that if she ever was able to put her past behind, he will be there for her. He did came back looking for her... but, where is she? It is still possible for a person to reject someone he/she loves. :lol:

I was joking about Grizzly Man. :lol:

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:56 am

Thoughtful analysis Ben, I enjoy talking about the movies with you. What else have you watched of late?

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:08 am

Nothing new. Just re-watch So Close, Vicky Zhoe-Wei, Shu-Qi, and Karen Mok. I'm sure you've seen that already.

I'm still trying to get my hands on In The Mood For Love.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:19 am

During my intense period of practicing Zhaoism I watched that movie....

You should be able to get a copy of "In the Mood for Love", it is in the stores everywhere it seems like now.

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:33 am

Ang Mo wrote:During my intense period of practicing Zhaoism I watched that movie....

You should be able to get a copy of "In the Mood for Love", it is in the stores everywhere it seems like now.

It's a bit funny that 2046 is almost in every video stores and rental shop here while "In the Mood..." is just as scarce. Probably because 2046 did had a theatrical release here, the other didn't.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:01 am

You can buy a copy of the movie from www.yesasia.com, they sale versions that are compatible in every country.

You will enjoy it.

The_Man_in_Blue
Getting Stranger

Bluegrass Independent Film Festival

Postby The_Man_in_Blue » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:33 pm

I attended the First Annual Bluegrass Independent Film Festival last weekend. It was three days of viewing films and meeting directors, actors and producers. For a first effort the organizers did a good job, bringing 70 films, many accompanied by a contingent of those responsible for creating the film. The main frustration was with 3 simultaneous venues, I wasn't able to see all the films.

My favorite film, and the audience chosen grand prizewinner, was "Our Very Own". It is a first effort by writer/director Cameron Watson. It follows the efforts of 5 teen friends in a small Tennessee town of Shelbyville to meet Sondra Locke, who is rumored to be making a rare visit to her hometown of Shelbyville for the debut of her latest Hollywood film. There is a nice chemistry among the actors who play the teens and they give a kind of small town "American Graffiti" feel to what could have easily degenerated into a trite series of stereotypes. A more serious side of the film focuses on the home life of one of the teens as his middleclass family is collapsing from the alcoholism induced unemployment of his father. Allison Janney gives a wonderful performance as the mother, trying to maintain appearances that all is well, as her furniture is repossessed and she learns her husband has hidden from her that the bank is about to foreclose on the house. The film debuted at the Los Angeles Film Festival in June and the producers are still negotiating for a national release. Nanci Griffith wrote a song for the soundtrack. I had a conversation with director/writer Cameron Watson. He said he had initially approached Nanci Griffith hoping to license a few of her songs for the film and she had so liked what she saw that she offered to write a song. I of course mentioned my favorite songwriter and he went home with one of my spare copies of WS. (My other spare VT CDs went home with an executive in programming at FX network, another LA based filmmaker and a NYC filmmaker).

Paul

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:07 pm

Paul,

That's the way to spread that gospel, brother! Nice job. :D
Chris

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:48 pm

Good job, Paul! ~Ginny
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:07 am

It would be great if that act of generosity on your part gets Vienna's music in a film. Well done.

P.S. to Ben: I watched Nobody Knows and it was good but so horribly sad that it got me really depressed. Not even my diet coke could cure the wound. I started watching a National Geographic special on Africa where a savage pack of lions had attacked an elephant. One lion was on its neck just biting the heck out of the back of her neck. Then four more jumped on to her back legs and haunches and were biting and clawing her. She finally escaped. It was just horrible, but it cheered me up she escaped and I was also very thankful I am not an elephant living in Africa. They never forget, but they are lousy typists by most scientific accounts.

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:58 pm

Ang Mo wrote:They never forget, but they are lousy typists by most scientific accounts.

Uh oh, elephant jokes. Don't get me started on elephant jokes. I know a ton of elephant jokes.
Chris

Return to “The Cafe”